Rack for a high-top van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantRobertson

Reaction score
I really want a high-top van. I also really want it to be as stealth as possible. I also want to be able to have solar panels and other stuff mounted up on top. I really like Dan Travels' idea of using a roof rack to conceal the solar panels, roof vents, and stuff while generally making the van look more like a work van, as shown in this video:

[video=youtube]
I especially like how the rack allows him to extend the width of the area upon which he can mount solar panels by almost a foot on either side. One could even extend it over the back door a bit and make a little porch roof for when the back doors are open.

However, those things cost a fortune and are really made to hold a lot more weight than I will be carrying.

So, I have been thinking of building my own "rack-ish" system out of an old ladder by splitting the ladder down the middle, extending as many rungs as necessary with pipes of some kind, then mounting the whole thing on top of my high-top.

Now, before anyone says a high-top can't take the weight, I have found rack manufacturers who make them specifically for high-tops. Here is an example:

[img=203x152]http://www.aluminess.com/wp-content/uploads/van-roof-rack-fiberglass-top.jpg[/img]
(Though I have no plans to make it look like this or put that whistling rat's nest of lights at the front.)

I am looking for innovative suggestions as to how to go about such a project. What to use as cross-members. How to construct the mounts. How to avoid the corrosion that will likely come as a result of fastening aluminum to steel. How to position things so it will look as normal as possible while being as functional and light as possible.

Thanks

You might check all the options available from American Vans. They have racks and interior shelving for most every van made. I like your idea of re purposing a ladder though. I've had good luck using 1'' electrical conduit and unistrut to make stuff out of. On the top of my old camper I bolted the unistrut straight to the roof length wise, and then ran 1'' conduit across them using unistrut clamps. Maybe you could do something similar, and then attach your ladder sides to the ends of the conduit. You can see what size conduit will fit either inside of, or over the rung to make the attachment strong - I wouldn't use smaller than 1'' though, unless you add more unistrut supports - not enough strength otherwise. As for corrosion, as long as you create a separation with tape, paint, plastic dip, or similar type product you shouldn't have any problems. BTW, Yakima mounting clamps work perfectly on the 1'' conduit for attaching things. Good Luck.

akrvbob said:
Van Tech makes ladder racks for high-top vans.

Thanks, Bob. I am still stewing on whether I want to mount the rack directly to the high-top or use rain-gutter type mounts like VanTech's. The latter would then allow me to attach other things, like awnings, on the sides of the rack by affixing them to the uprights. However, those uprights would also add more drag and wind noise.

One thing is certain, that VanTech rack would not do a good job of hiding things that are mounted up on top of said rack. Though there are ways around that as well.

I bet you'll lose 1-2 highway MPG with that hightop ladder rack. And more if you build onto it, causing more obstructions.

I would <u><b>NEVER</b></u> mount a rack to a fiberglass top. That is begging for trouble. Go to the rain gutters. A lot of those fiberglass tops have absolutely no supports in them.

GrayWhale said:
I bet you'll lose 1-2 highway MPG with that hightop ladder rack. And more if you build onto it, causing more obstructions.

I know. But it will still be better gas mileage than a class-C. I won't be driving it across country every week, so I am willing to take the hit in gas mileage.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I would <u><b>NEVER</b></u> mount a rack to a fiberglass top.  That is begging for trouble.  Go to the rain gutters.  A lot of those fiberglass tops have absolutely no supports in them.

Yeah, I would check the top to make sure it was able to support the weight. I might be willing to put in more supports to spread the weight around on the fiberglass shell. Though, I do know the rain-gutter supports would be the MOST structurally sound, AND have less chance of leaking.

some high tops could handle a rack some can't depends on the high top. mounting them on the rain gutter is not without issues. highdesertranger

Ladder idea is very creative, never seen that.

American Van will send you a nice catalog for the asking. Lots of detailed pic's.

I bought the VanTech ladder racks for conversion vans.  The fiberglass top is blocking my installation of the ladder racks in the gutters.  They are made specifically for a Ford Econoline conversion van.  I don't know if I can send them back now or if there are alternative ladder racks that will fit in the gutters.

Anyone have an idea or three?

From the picture it looks as though the fiberglass topper seals to and sets over the rain gutter and may even be as wide or wider than the van, preventing the feet of a standard rain gutter clamp from being able to attach and probably the rack upright hits the fiberglass topper. Is that correct?

I am not following. is it the rain gutter that is giving you problems or the crossmember? if the crossmember was higher would it work? it's easy to post pictures here. have you read the tutorial on posting pictures? the picture you posted of the van really shows nothing helpful. highdesertranger

So you are saying the upright for the rack is not tall enough to allow the gutter mount to reach the gutter without the horizontal part of the rack (cross member) hitting the top of the fiberglass roof. Correct?

highdesertranger said:
I am not following.  is it the rain gutter that is giving you problems or the crossmember?  if the crossmember was higher would it work?  it's easy to post pictures here.  have you read the tutorial on posting pictures?  the picture you posted of the van really shows nothing helpful.  highdesertranger
The cross-member is plenty high; the upright are supposed to clamp into the rain gutter.  For the clamp to seat into the rain gutter the upright must be moved about 20 degrees inward; the fiberglass topper prevents any inward motion.  The black band in the picture that seals the topper to the van protrudes out blocking inward motion.  This YouTube video at 0:2:14 shows the upright; in my case, there is no room inwardly to be able to seat the clamp.  

You will not be able to use this mount without disturbing the seal, which I wouldn’t recommend doing.