R-Value Chart of Various Materials

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
I just ran across this chart listing the R-values of 13 common insulative materials, so you can compare at a glance:  http://www.greatdayimprovements.com/insulation-r-value-chart.aspx    You'll notice that the list is in random order, neither alphabetical nor by rating.

And here are the R-values for some non-toxic types of insulation.  The prices listed are from the time of posting, which appears to be about 2013.  I'm including the blown-in types, just in case some clever person here can figure a way to make it work.  There are a few other materials shown at the website, but I eliminated the ones that are prohibitively expensive (like $30/sf).

Wool batts:  R-3.9 per inch, R-13.7 for 3.5"  ($3.54/sq ft)
Recycled cotton bats:  R-3.7 per inch, R-13 for 3.5"  ($1.35 per sq ft)
AirKrete, foamed concrete:  R-3.7 per inch, R-13 for 3.5"  (cost?)
Recycled cellulose (blown-in shredded paper):  R-3.8 per inch, 13.3 for 3.5" ($12/bag @HD, one bag= 16cu ft= 192sqft one inch deep when fluffed up)
Cork insulation (not flooring):  R-3.7 per inch, 13 for 3.5" (maybe ~ $1.25/sf)
Hemp batts:  R-3.8 per inch, 13.3 for 3.5" (no price shown)
http://www.mychemicalfreehouse.net/2013/01/zero-voc-insulation.html

Also look at foam boards too.
Expanded polystyrene (EPS) white Styrofoam has an R value of 4.6/inch
Foamular 150 Extruded Polystyrene has an R-value of 5.0/inch.
Foamular 250 Extruded Polystyrene also has an R-value of 5.0/inch.
Polyisocyanurate (Polyisco, ISO) has an R-value of 6.5/inch (foil backed panels are 6.8/inch.)
The best, 2 lb closed cell sprayed in polyurethane foam has an R-value of 7-8/inch. (depending on brand, method and skill of installation.)

Note: Silica Aerogel has an R-value of 10, but it is unusable as it dissolves in water - not good. However when put inside of a vacuum insulated panel it becomes usable and bumps the insulation up to as much as R-60/inch (think Thermos bottle)! https://na.industrial.panasonic.com...ces/vacuum-insulation/vacuum-insulation-panel As you would expect, they're not cheap (starting at about $20/sq ft and going way up from there) and are used for high efficiency refrigerators, freezers, water heaters, etc.

Chip

The first link that I posted showed foam board in the chart (it's at the bottom of the page, which I forgot to mention).

sushidog stated "Silica Aerogel has an R-value of 10, but it is unusable as it dissolves in water - not good."

I do not believe that is correct. I have been in correspondence with Airtight, a distribution company of various types of Aerogel blanket insulation products specifically Spaceloft. Jordan Fiske stated in a recent email to me to some to the issues I raised that:

1. Spaceloft has the lowest declared thermal conductivity of any conventional flexible insulation.
2. Spaceloft is hydrophobic while being vapor permeable
3. Spaceloft is mold resistant
4. In conjunction with #2 and #3 Spaceloft has an extremely long service life. This allows the material to be reused, won't harbor dangerous mold, and if there is ever a leak in your converted van, you will not have to worry about Spaceloft.
5. Spaceloft offers an R-Value of 9.62 per inch. At nearly R-4 per 10mm layer you are optimizing R-value and lowering the thermal conductivity while maintaining the most livable space.

So my take away is this. The material developed by NASA back in the 1990s to rocket fuel at cryogenic temperatures as the rockets blasted into space works exactly like everyone wishes Reflectix did. The kicker with this stuff is that it is expensive. Airtight is selling the material for approx. $11/sq. feet. Buyaerogel.com is selling it for approx $30/sq. feet. I roughly calculated the cost of insulated the cargo area of my van with 1-inch of this material for an R-value of 10 to be around $8250.

It is not worth the price now but can you all imagine the possibilities in the future with this stuff?

Cheers,
Keightley

Future vaporware well and good.

Sealed panels of Cryogel Z, Aerogel are fantastic, but even expensive for the yachts using them for little fridges.

Polyiso, behind a little XPS if facing extreme cold is the cost effective way to go, today.

Spaceloft is less expensive than the cryogel Z. Spaceloft was specifically designed for insulating buildings and apparel Cryogel Z is designed for sub-ambient and cryogenic applications such as freezers and refrigerators. Incidentally, I just found a price for Spaceloft that is $7.63ea sqft. That is better than $11 but still expensive. Maybe it is not so bad to insulate a window or two with this stuff. :)

Home Depot and Lowes usually have it in 1/2 and 1 inch thick.

If you mean Thinsulate, as in material traditionally used for winter clothing, yes, there is a bulk-roll version for mobile use.

It is very expensive to buy with large minimum quantities.

If 2-3 dwellers lived near each other and went in together on an order, would be much more cost effective.

For small quantities, stuff called Insul-Bright looks almost as good to me.

When I decide to do a van conversion, I'm planning on using closed cell spray foam. R-7/in and it will fill any holes. Best of all, it's sound barrier and waterproof. Cost $1.60/sq. ft. and up. Since kit covers 200 sq. ft. It more than need to cover even largest van. Therefore, cost per square foot goes up. It's less labor intensive than other options.

https://tigerfoam.com/sprayfoaminsu...-200fr-tiger-foam-fast-rise-200-board-ft-kit/

I wonder what the R-value of Cotton Candy is? It dissolves in water too. I will have to run a test.

"It's less labor intensive than other options"

I wouldn't say that. highdesertranger

HalfShadows said:
I wonder what the R-value of Cotton Candy is? It dissolves in water too. I will have to run a test.
Since cotton candy is derive of sugar, it would have about same R value as sugar times .001. You'll be better off with popcorn as edible insulation than cotton candy. :D

Sandhog said:
Since cotton candy is derive of sugar, it would have about same R value as sugar times .001. You'll be better off with popcorn as edible insulation than cotton candy. :D
I love the option's. HMMM  :huh: Malted Milk Ball's. In a sealed bag of course.

Just like painting, 80% of the work is prep & masking.

That stuff sticks like mad to **everything** it touches.

Full on hazmat style PPE.

And needs very warm temps, ambient, steel and material.

John61CT said:
Just like painting, 80% of the work is prep & masking.

That stuff sticks like mad to **everything** it touches.

Full on hazmat style PPE.

And needs very warm temps, ambient, steel and material.
You are correct on all accounts. PPE definitely con of closed cell spray foam. However, per R-value and time, it's better than batt insulation IMHO. And it's million times better than cotton candy as far as R value is concern but not edible. As you've said, it sticks to everything! It's also flexible to some degrees. I'm a structural engineer and see application in numerous where it reinforce structural members beyond factor of safety especially in wood frame houses. I design to all weather conditions and design to last. If I were to convert a van to live in, I want it to be my last. Therefore, I'll use closed cell spray foam. I haven't tested on my car camping so jury is still out on insulation. I'm not forced into vehicle living and can live in brick and mortar for rest of my life. Nevertheless, I always dreamed of getting away into the wild and be a nomad. I want to have a second life where I can live as a kid. Being with nature.