Are there any charts that exist that show the R value of insulation?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
I searched google and found nothing.  Is there anywhere I can get a chart that will show me the R value of different kinds of insulation?

I'm looking for insulation with the highest possible R value and is relatively dense because I'm going to make a cooler/ice chest with good insulation.

I did watch Bob's video from 2016 about making a D.I.Y cooler, but unfortunately the insulation used in that video isn't available in my country.

For example; Insulation around R-10 that is roughly 2 inches thick would be nice.

Poot something is not right. are you sure the R-value in Kiwi land is measured the same way as we do here? those numbers for XPS don't look right at al. it says it has a high R-Value but the numbers they publish just don't back it up. unless your R is different then our R.

also thay say the R-Value is 1.1 for 30mm. 30mm = 1 3/16 inch which is almost 1.25 inches

highdesertranger

I emailed the manufacturer and asked them. I'll post their reply here when they get back to me.

Poot there are two different types of insulation values being used in New Zealand. One is R value and the higher the number the better. The other value they use is U value and for that the lower the number the better.

So you need to be sure when you are looking at New Zealand data that you are not confusing R value with U value.

Here is some educational information you should look at concerning what these terms mean. This is from someone working on a Tiny House. Just scroll on down the page a bit and they cover what is the R value of expanded polystyrene (EPS) per inch of material.
https://weemakechange.co.nz/blog-import/2014/10/insulation-thermal-conductivity-r-valuehtml

If you have not ever worked on insulating a structure before all this stuff can be very confusing to interpret because they throw an alphabet soup of letters and numbers at you that have no previous relevant experience to associate them with. So you have to get a foundation knowledge of what it all means before you understand what they are talking about.

I don't remember where I got this but found it on the net some time ago.

Attachments

• rvalue.PNG
    rvalue.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 17
maki2 said:
Poot there are two different types of insulation values being used in New Zealand. One is R value and the higher the number the better. The other value they use is U value and for that the lower the number the better.

So you need to be sure when you are looking at New Zealand data that you are not confusing R value with U value.

It is definitely R value, as stated on the manufacturers website: https://www.knaufinsulation.co.nz/products/climafoam-extruded-polystrene-xps

I am very happy with my POLYISO from Home depot.

I used 2" which has about a 12 R-value.

ah, Sofi figured it out good job Sofi. I totally missed the cm mm thing. duh. I new something was up. highdesertranger

Sofisintown said:
No, Poot, you are looking at mm .
1 inch is 2.54 centimeters.
So the chart is correct, 1.1 R value per 30mm

So if you have 2 inches, that's 5.08 centimeters  (508 mm)

5.08 cm is 50.8 mm, not 508 mm.

highdesertranger said:
ah, Sofi figured it out good job Sofi. I totally missed the cm mm thing. duh. I new something was up. highdesertranger

It doesn't really change much. 30mm is close enough enough to an inch, I'm only off by 5mm.