Quilting and Sewing on the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanandElaine

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
           I'm a sewer and a quilter.  My husband and I plan to go full time in a Class C in September.  I would like to connect with other quilters and people who sew on the road.  I plan to offer sewing services wherever we boondock, which will probably be the desert southwest somewhere around Quartzville in September.  Just trying to make a few friends who may be "on my page." :heart:

Elaine there are a few quilting groups in Quartzsite. I walked in on one at the senior center one day. They have big tables you can use and an ironing board with iron set up. They are also an extremely friendly bunch of gals that invited me to stay even though I wasn’t quilting. I have my machine with me also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanandElaine said:
Hi everyone!
           I'm a sewer and a quilter.  My husband and I plan to go full time in a Class C in September.  I would like to connect with other quilters and people who sew on the road.  I plan to offer sewing services wherever we boondock, which will probably be the desert southwest somewhere around Quartzville in September.  Just trying to make a few friends who may be "on my page." :heart:

Hi Elaine,
Glad to meet you! I'm not on the road yet but as soon as my property sells I will be, I've been working toward the goal for several years. I have an online storefront on Etsy, I sew totes from recycled materials and I have a couple other online storefronts where I sell instant download tutorials that I publish showing how to make the totes that I make.  I do quilt but it's more for gift giving than selling. I am still in planning stage for how to power my sewing machine and all my other stuff from solar. 
Safe Travels and hope to see you down the road one of these days,
Maggie

Wow! And I thought I was going to be the only one, lol. I hope to meet up sometime down the road!!!

Hopefully before snow starts flying in central Illinois I will have my first used RV and will be going full time.

I plan on taking out the 2 recliner/swivel chairs in the sitting area and building a desk/quilting table in that space. Beings that my other hobby is wood working, I will use one hobby to support the other.
I do plan on installing a solar system on the RV but had not given much thought to the sewing machines needs yet...I probably should. Any idea on the amp draw from a sewing machine?

Sharknose said:
Any idea on the amp draw from a sewing machine?

Usually less than one amp, (and that is when the pedal is to the metal). It will say on a sticker attached to the machine. If it just gives the watts, divide that number by 120. You can get LED lights for the older machines and unscrew the old filament bulb. You don't need a large electrical system to run the machine itself, but if you are also going to use an iron for pressing the fabric, that might take a good power supply.

I am a part timer. Last time out I also brought a sewing machine to make window covers and such but got busy with other things instead. My last project was making a laundry bag out of some mesh fabric. I think sewing is very similar to welding. You cut material to a shape, attach it to another piece of material and hopefully end up with something useful.

Dany...yeah that's the gist of it. Making something useful and hopefully looks good in the process.

Thank you for the amp info.

I have been a quilter and needleworker for most of my life. I have small equipment which I got for use at retreats which I think would work well when I have electricity but do not plan on doing solar. I have always carried handwork with me for waiting rooms, kids rehearsals and practices, and travel. I hand quilt and bead small projects. I do some hand piecing. Jinny Beyer hand pieces all her magnificent quilts. She says she's too busy to machine piece. I use a little wooden tool that does a good job of 'finger pressing' seams without an iron. My favorite is English paper foundation piecing. There many more shapes than just hexigons. Katja in Kamloops, British Columbia has wonderful patterns. I'm just saying there are many ways to quilt without having electricity.

I won't have my van for a few more months (maybe six?) but when I get one, I do want to travel full time, and will definitely take my sewing machine, not only for making my own projects, but to build an inventory of things I can sell.

Latest posts