Question for old timers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
I was just sitting here thinking about how some things in our modern times appear to make it easier to be a nomad, like online banking and bill paying, amazon lockers, the internet in general, GPS, cell phones, etc.

And I was wondering if the old timers who were doing this before all this new fangled technology feel that it does make it easier to be nomadic, or if there are things they miss about the old days.

Most of us "old timers" are old and appreciate anything that makes life easier. When I started out the Escapee's club was a life saver with help with mail, insurance, boot camps and advice, they had been nomads since the interstate highway journeymen building them, shopping malls and subdivisions had become nomads and needed the services they joined together to create. People like George and Tioga as well as RV Sue and her canine crew documented their travels and described how to overcome the problems. Biggest problems today are simply finding a vehicle or RV built well enough to do it and the large number of people that are.

We old-timers are not really fossils, and technology did not appear overnight to surprise us. Most of us were in the workforce when internet started, GPS became popular and online transactions started and we had plenty of time to adjust. We were born before all that hoopla, and that means that we also know earlier technologies too (like carburetors and 2-stroke engines, telex, lighting fires by rubbing sticks, etc.)
I think the older folk are better adapted to nomadic life, because we are familiar with technology, but in the event of tech failure we are experienced and resourceful enough to get by without.

Tech helps a lot, and even though I would hate to lose internet, I can survive it just fine.

^^ I was just explaining telex to my daughter a couple days ago. Those clattery things.

Mimeograph too, I used to cut stencils and run things for one of my teachers in the early 70s.

wanderingsoul said:
^^ I was just explaining telex to my daughter a couple days ago.  Those clattery things.

Mimeograph too, I used to cut stencils and run things for one of my teachers in the early 70s.

Ah, I remember those. We called them dittos. Fresh off the press, they were slightly damp and had a smell that if I smelled it today would probably take me back.

Sofisintown said:
...Most of us were in the workforce when internet started...

And some of us old timers invented that stuff.  :D :idea: :thumbsup:

But, yeah, technology makes this life much easier.

Don' t be so naive, credit cards were around when we were younger, so were banks with nationwide chains. As were traveler's checks, pre paid long distance phone cards, mail forwarding etc. We even had maps and guide books to navigate with. Everyone managed just fine to get to places and move around the country and keep in touch without apps, cell phones, email and online banking.  Technology comes with as many frustrations as it does conveniences and one other thing for sure, it is a whole lot of extra expense in a traveler's budget plan because now you are pretty much forced into needing to be able to go online to keep your finances in order. Most especially since the spring of 2020 when banks and even i nsurance agencies, car licensing agencies, phone companies, etc quit letting you walk inside without making a prior appointment.To answer your question, things are different but not any easier. Instead it is more complex than ever. Yesterday I bought an ice cream cone at the national park. They do mot accept cash. The entrance booths at the park also do not accept cash. If your card gets lost or damaged as a traveler you are pretty much screwed up.

I’m so old that I remember the JFK funeral and watching on a tiny black-and-white TV that we had to attach a wire hanger to to get to reception.

Yes, it's so much easier! I'm very glad to have all of the conveniences that came with the arrival of cell phones and the internet. We started fulltime on the road in 1993 and didn't get a cell phone until sometime in the early 2000s and a data card for internet service in 2004.

Before that if we wanted to make a phone call we had to either have a pocket full of change or punch a long number into the pay phone ( some sort of phone card) then dial the person we wanted to talk to. Needless to say we didn't make many calls and we just hoped that there were no emergencies in-between calls to relatives and friends. The first cell phone plans were so expensive that we didn't use the phone very much but at least we weren't totally out of touch.

We go to many interesting places because we can search the internet for everything. We can find campgrounds, boondocking sites, cheap gas, and dump stations. All of this was much more difficult before. Pamphlets from visitor centers are limited in what they include. Books can only cover so much. Detailed maps take up a lot of room. The internet is limitless.

We also are much more social. We've met people all over the country who are now friends only because of things like this forum. Before cell phones and the internet, keeping in touch with a new friend that we met on the road was pretty much impossible plus randomly running into people with the same interests didn't happen often.

About the only thing I miss is the ability to go to a popular public campground in the summer without a reservation and get a site. But we boondock most of the time because we can search boondocking websites and also search on google satellite for promising spots so it all works out!

maki2 said:
Don' t be so naive, credit cards were around when we were younger, so were banks with nationwide chains. As were traveler's checks, pre paid long distance phone cards, mail forwarding etc. We even had maps and guide books to navigate with. Everyone managed just fine to get to places and move around the country and keep in touch without apps, cell phones, email and online banking.  Technology comes with as many frustrations as it does conveniences and one other thing for sure, it is a whole lot of extra expense in a traveler's budget plan because now you are pretty much forced into needing to be able to go online to keep your finances in order. Most especially since the spring of 2020 when banks and even i nsurance agencies, car licensing agencies, phone companies, etc quit letting you walk inside without making a prior appointment.To answer your question, things are different but not any easier. Instead it is more complex than ever. Yesterday I bought an ice cream cone at the national park. They do mot accept cash. The entrance booths at the park also do not accept cash. If your card gets lost or damaged as a traveler you are pretty much screwed up.

How is asking if current technology makes being nomadic easier naive? I’m 51, so I’ve lived a good bit of my life before the internet. I remember pay phones, 45 records, lawn darts, not knowing who was calling until you picked up the phone, and a time when there wasn’t internet. But I’ve never been a nomad before technology. So, I’m curious.

I agree that sometimes technology makes things less convenient, but I remember absolutely HATING writing out checks to pay bills. I absolutely LOVE online bill pay. And I’m not a good map reader. Yes, sometimes my phone tells me the wrong thing, but who knows where I’d end up if I relied on a map. :)

I am not a full timer but I am an old timer lol. I enjoy the technology available but old habits still drive me. Every gas station, store or camping area I purchase maps of the area and state. Because GPS to me is not always accurate. I have my maps as a backup. Banking and plastic cards have made my trips easier. But like the maps I also carry a bit of cash. It has saved me a couple times when my bank puts a hold on my cards for suspicious transactions. I have learned to call bank ahead of my trips to inform them of my trip. It’s all about adapting.

I can remember "borrowing" someone's pool late at night to get "refreshed" off. This was before all the laws with the need for fences around pools. I'm thinking if that would still be something one could do today or if I'm just too old to go running off when the outside lights came on. Which motion lights would be another hassle. LOL

There was pretty much a zero chance at actually getting arrested then but you almost certainly would today.

Hitchhiking was easy. I never see anyone doing that now. Now I was still in my teens but I remember hitchhiking in a snow storm and getting picked up by a family that took me to their house and fed me. LOL Not going to happen today.

I was never hassled for sleeping in the back of a car. I wasn't actually a nomad but I was just really cheap when I went somewhere.

Walk the edges of a golf course to find golf balls. People would most likely call the cops today since they all would have cell phones. Even then for nice ones I would get "two bits" for one. It didn't take many to get something to eat. Hot dogs could be found 4 for dollar.

I often times think that I am really glad we didn't have cell phones when I was younger. It is really nice not having to go inside to pay when you get gas now though. My wife isn't much for "lets just go, I dont know where", so GPS is nice now. Just set it and listen to the lady give you instructions. Staying in a campground where you can still put the money in an envelope and drop it in a box is still kinda nice. (I always pay now, you can't take it with you). Being able to reserve a spot online makes it more difficult to find a place though. You used to be able to call ahead but heck, that was a long distance call.

Back in the day it was a real hassle to get stopped for speeding and being expected to pay then and there. You better always had some money stashed depending on where you were traveling.

I still do not pay the bills, my wife does. She is glad they can be paid online. I sure hope nothing happens to her first............

"About the only thing I miss is the ability to go to a popular public campground in the summer without a reservation and get a site"

Yes, this annoys the hell out of me. What's worse is very often people register for a site and never show up! In WA usually half or less campsites are first come first sever which is great. However, it is annoying seeing the empty reserved sites.

The single bit of technology you should invest in.

I was watching an older show about Maine game wardens (North Woods Law). A woman got lost on the Appalachian trail and ultimately died after 26 days!

Here is a bit of technology you should consider investing in.

One: A personal locator beacon (PLB). These are very reliable and save many, many lives every year. A bit pricy but a one time charge that will last half a decade.

Here is an REI like to choosing a PLB or Satellite Messenger
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html
So the PLB you have to activate manually. So if you fall off a cliff or something than you are out of luck.

Two: Satellite Messenger.

Here is a review of the InReach Mini Satellite Messenger.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revi...g/personal-locator-beacon/garmin-inreach-mini

Yes, it is pricy with a monthly charge. Although if you are only out and about a few months a year then there is a plan for that.
So, this is a passive? tracker. You can turn it on and it will ping a satellite with your GPS location every 10 seconds or so depending on how you set it up. It comes with a personal web page where people you trust can see your current location. Also, there is an emergency "Come save me" button that will alert the authorities . You can send and receive satellite emails. As well as send canned messages with GPS location. I do a lot of backpacking. So my canned messages are basically:

Just, checking in everything is fine.
Camping here for the night.
Doing a day hike from camp.

Even when I was young - prior to my first post-college job, I didn’t think that the “good ‘ole days” were all that great.  I grew up in the 1950s in the Deep South.  No air conditioning, the tar in the streets melted during summer, going to my grandmothers and having to use the out-house, two channels on TV - once we had TV, picking up the phone to hear the neighbor’s conversation, no weather alerts - just reports of the tornado that passed over last night, having to drive over dirt roads to visit relatives, etc.  

You make do with what you have, but I’ve never been romantic about the “good ‘ole days”.

Once I started working I was fortunate to have been fairly successful as a software engineer, but after retiring, I even furthered my exposure to newer technology.  I got rid of my laptop and hardware lab.  I converted everything to an iPad with a keyboard case.  I use my iPad for everything - email, videos, banking, newspapers, books, taxes, TV,  video editing, etc.  It’s wonderful, is low power, is charged via USB, takes little space - it’s ideal for a nomad.

Lawn darts. I laugh when I think about these. What could go wrong? Is there a single other invention that was more dangerous?

tx2sturgis said:
I'm so old I remember we had never heard of electricity and we had to surf the internet by CANDLELIGHT!
 . . . with a hand crank laptop!

Yes! And some of the rich neighbors down the street had KEROSENE LANTERNS!

WOW those were sure bright compared to our candles! They threw out a pool of light for at least 6 or 7 feet!

:D