Question about venders and a roof

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missnout

Reaction score
In rv I posted "I may have found it", But I just got through watching roof replacement vedeos. This 05 trailer will be my home, and all I have. So I know its not leaking so if I could do a roof replacement know, becouse of age that would be great. Are there venders at the RTR that sell the products and willing to help? I thought waiting till spring would be good but where would I do it ? Our should I be buying something a little more bullet proof? I am going to look at this trailer again today or tomarrow, working around his schedule. Iam really nervous :s

If it is a rubber roof with a slight curve from side to side they last pretty well if given a wash job...also have heard of some using a UV protection liquid. (Need to check factory info).

You mentioned this one being under cover. That goes a long way toward it's life.

And yes in the Q, Yuma, and Havasu areas there are places that do those major jobs.

BTW...You won't find vendors at RTR itself. Its a gathering of peaceful folks kicking back in the desert a few miles out of Q.

Vendors are found around town at the various market grounds, like HiJolly (oldest), Tyson Wells, Rice Ranch, and Main Event (newly revived...interesting history), just to name a few. You'll find about anything you can imagine in a desert flea market setting ;)

Uhm, you say you've been watching roof replacement videos.  By that, do you mean actually removing the old roof membrane and putting down a new one?

Depending on your roof's condition, that MAY be necessary, but it's the most expensive and hardest way to go about it.  If your roof is in relatively good condition, it may make more sense to just re-coat the membrane with a product designed specifically for that purpose. Dicor is the specialty company famous for such products, and they make coatings for Metal, Fiberglass, and Rubber Membrane roofs.  Here's a link to their videos:

https://dicorproducts.com/videos-5/

Regards
John

Yeah I'm kinda confused, in your other post you said it was mint condition and stored under cover, here you say the roof is good and not leaking. So why are you worried about jumping to replacing the roof? :huh: Unless I'm missing something it sounds like maybe it's good as-is, along with the usual upkeep when needed...?

yes just coat it. Only becouse it is going on 10years old , I climbed on it yesterday it looks really good exept just starting to crack in the putty around air condition and all other roof items, So im thinking if I reseal around them give it a good washing and wait to coat till weather is optimal.

Sometimes the A/C unit needs a new seal. Check the ceiling closely with the cover off. 
Otherwise, taking care of the slight cracking should get you by for a while.

My advise is to look real carefully at the roof, especially around its perimeter as that is where all of my problems were. The smallest of leaks can mean major problems that are hidden in the walls.

I just finished replacing the roof on our 18', 1994 Fireside pull trailer. There were a couple of cracks in the rubber membrane fore and aft and at the left rear corner. First had to pull off all the trim metal around the roof which itself was a chore due to the butyl sealing tape. Hard to get off without deforming it. Then clean all that trim with mineral spirits. Then peel off the old rubber membrane. Then remove the old plywood. The adhesive that holds down the rubber tears the ply apart pretty bad when it is removed. Then pull all the staples that ripped through the ply when it was removed. Then discover that the roof has been leaking and holding moisture and rotting and now I need to replace some of the framing. So far nothing as straight forward as I had hoped. Probably took about 10 times as long as I had expected and cost at least twice as much. I'll never go through it again. I'm getting me a van.

btw....

travel trailer & RV roofs (even if they're equipped with stowage racks) should NEVER be walked on!!!!!!!

Pay a pro to look at that roof. If the roof needs replacing major $$$$$. I would recommend anyone who needs repair on their rigs to get it done before heading to the Q. Very few repair facilities there and very expensive. Ask me how I know?

Patrick46 said:
btw....

travel trailer & RV roofs (even if they're equipped with stowage racks) should NEVER be walked on!!!!!!!

I would say the same for high top van roofs as well...

I would agree with being careful about walking on a hightop because they are fiberglass and one should be careful about walking on them. I spoke with some solar installers today and was told they have never had an issue with walking on an RV roof. The the tv satellite folks told me the same thing. I see people walking on their roofs almost every day with no issues. As some said YMMV.

Look into eternabond tape too. When applied in time it can prevent water damage like MtDave speaks of.

Opening cans of worms is not always avoidable, and roofs and mere bubbles of paint on metal, often hide cans of spring loaded venomous snakes below them.

you must order a walk on roof when you buy your RV. some RV's come that way but most do not, it's an option. so before walking on your roof make sure it can handle it. highdesertranger