Question About The Idea Of Grow or Shrink

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan 1

Reaction score
What do you believe?

There is a prevailing Idea in Life and Living, especially in economic matters, that holds that We either "Become More", or "Become less". 

This Idea seems to have no middle ground for the concept of a so called "Stable State" some where between the two polarities of this more, or less, Idea.

I say "so called Stable State" because I realize that Life is dynamic and rarely ceases to move. But I am further considering the possibility of the more or less movement to be controlled by Our Decisions, so that a fluctuating middle ground can be attained and maintained as an expression of Dynamic Balance. 

So what do you Think? Can a "Fluctuating Middle Ground" be a Third Possibility between "More or less"? (As smaller mores and lesses?)

a story I watched on Japan a little while ago may be relevant.
Think it was from Japan Society?
I'll see if I can find a link.
The theme was that Japan has more really old companies than any country on earth.
This has to do with how they run them.
Instead of the goal being constant expansion or ever increasing profits, they focus on producing the thing they make exactly right.
Like charcoal or soba noodles.
They also said that their duty is to the customers and employees, not shareholders or profits.
One guy said he had many offers to sell his company, but nobody had yet made an offer that he thought could take care of the business properly. With respect and integrity. Of course most of these businesses are small family operations. But many are hundreds of years old. Going back dozens of generations!

The western concept of capitalism considers a business that just continues to exist without growing profits or market share to be a failure.
This is how we have tech startups that are in the red on paper, but considered valuable because they have market share.

Balance is the preferred state.

Though the drama queens do prefer chaos while others prefer to dominate & rip off others instead of earning it.

...Respect the community, it is a gift to many. No need to publicly thumb your nose at dwelling after the community saved you from the street, any person can S&B at any time.

My 2 cents. YMMV.
-crofter

Calaverasgrande said:
....respect and integrity. Of course most of these businesses are small family operations. But many are hundreds of years old. Going back dozens of generations!  .....
The owner valued balance over greed, imagine that. And took the time and care to develop a successor to carry on.
-crofter

Dan 1 said:
There is a prevailing Idea in Life and Living, especially in economic matters, that holds that We either "Become More", or "Become less". 

It's sounds like the same hyper-competitive, status-conscious BS that claims if you're not winning you're losing. Here's both of my big middle fingers to that. I never played that game.

I am not sure where that idea developed, I often wondered why people said it. I know from experience once you are an established business with a share of the market in your area of service or expertise it is always very difficult to break ceilings, it often ends up with periods of times when your profits are lower your stress is higher and you end up wondering if it is worth the effort. I think a lot of businesses go along at the same numbers for years due to the limitations on their premises, equipment, their staff and their market. I think it is a false claim to motivate businesses to stretch themselves I don’t beleive it is sustainable in the world we live in today.

[video=youtube]
I think this is the one I was talking about.
I'm at a cafè right now so I can't really preview it to be sure.

I've been fascinated by this 'grow or die' axiom for years.
Ever since I was working at a small local paper that got bought out.
I later met the corporate heads who said basically that when asked why they bought our paper.
Of course they gutted what gave that paper personality.

Interesting because I personally feel like I'm in an expansive place while I decimate my belongings. I look forward to living in balance in the future.

Phooey! Do your own thing.Too much "success" pressure in the USA.

Calaverasgrande said:
Thank you for your enlightening response, "Calaverasgrande". It reveals the possibility for the dynamic middle ground to be achieved and one way to do that. I wonder if there is the same circumstances in China too?

It seems to me that the Japanese Old Company's focus on the quality of their product is Wise and Beneficial to their Society. I wonder what they do about the distribution of their products?

You shared: 

"Instead of the goal being constant expansion or ever increasing profits, they focus on producing the thing they make exactly right." 

"They also said that their duty is to the customers and employees, not shareholders or profits."

I Think I share this attitude with these particular Japanese Old Entrepreneurs. We might reconsider the ways We Americans prioritize and manage "shareholding" and "profits". There is a lot of good work that could be done here.

"One guy said he had many offers to sell his company, but nobody had yet made an offer that he thought could take care of the business properly. With respect and integrity. Of course most of these businesses are small family operations. But many are hundreds of years old. Going back dozens of generations!"

I don't Think I have ever had the privilege of meeting this kind of Individual. I'm sure, there are some here, but I have never met one.

"The western concept of capitalism considers a business that just continues to exist without growing profits or market share to be a failure."

For the most part, I have to disagree with this Idea of No Growth being "failure". I have read about small companies, that are growing old, but still selling a product and giving their Workers a modest Living. But, a lot of these have been gobbled up by larger businesses. A lot of People have been put out of work. It sure seems like We could do Better than this.

Thanks again for the response. Hope you can find the link.

Calaverasgrande said:
a story I watched on Japan a little while ago may be relevant.
Think it was from Japan Society?
I'll see if I can find a link.
The theme was that Japan has more really old companies than any country on earth.
This has to do with how they run them.
Instead of the goal being constant expansion or ever increasing profits, they focus on producing the thing they make exactly right.
Like charcoal or soba noodles.
They also said that their duty is to the customers and employees, not shareholders or profits.
One guy said he had many offers to sell his company, but nobody had yet made an offer that he thought could take care of the business properly. With respect and integrity. Of course most of these businesses are small family operations. But many are hundreds of years old. Going back dozens of generations!

The western concept of capitalism considers a business that just continues to exist without growing profits or market share to be a failure.
This is how we have tech startups that are in the red on paper, but considered valuable because they have market share.

MrNoodly said:
It's sounds like the same hyper-competitive, status-conscious BS that claims if you're not winning you're losing. Here's both of my big middle fingers to that. I never played that game.
Strongly stated, "MrNoodly". I couldn't agree with your sentiments more.

flying kurbmaster said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"I know from experience once you are an established business with a share of the market in your area of service or expertise it is always very difficult to break ceilings"[/font]
It is good to see from your experience, "flying kurbmaster". Could help me understand, a little more, about what you mean when you wrote the above? About "break ceilings"?

Calaverasgrande said:
[video=youtube]
I think this is the one I was talking about.
I'm at a cafè right now so I can't really preview it to be sure.

I've been fascinated by this 'grow or die' axiom for years.
Ever since I was working at a small local paper that got bought out.
I later met the corporate heads who said basically that when asked why they bought our paper.
Of course they gutted what gave that paper personality.

Sara in a Prius said:
Interesting because I personally feel like I'm in an expansive place while I decimate my belongings. I look forward to living in balance in the future.
Hi, "Sara in a Prius". You have shared a personal experience about More or less, or growing or shrinking, that puts a refreshing new twist on these Ideas. And from what I have seen in the "Cheap RV Living Movement", you are in good company, with this making room for yourself process.

Questions: Do you feel that you will be able to arrive at a balance in this quest?

Or do you imagine having to eventually increase your living space for personal well being?

Also, do you Sense that the balance you might achieve is of a dynamic nature...maybe having to make adjustments in your quest, constantly? (For example: Do you have to do something like take out the ice chest at night, before you go to sleep? And then put it back in in the morning, when you get up? Both actions would represent movement of an object to maintain comfort and utility in your daily Living.)

Thank you for your response.

MotorVation said:
I like to call overthinking in AA, 'alkybabble.' This reminds me of that only ya don't have to be an 'alky' to do it. Equal opportunity bullshit?
Howdy, "MotorVation". Thank you for your response. I will probably stop in here when I start to feel like I am "overThinking" this subject. I have found out something important though. I am not alone in my doubts about the validity of the Grow or Diminish to failure (some kind of ending?)...in all things. There are probably instances where this negative seeming principle does apply; like as in when, a business is poorly managed and and collapses under its own shortcomings. But "Growth" should not be a relentless dominant criteria for success. I feel and Think that other considerations are more important.

I am glad to see that Others here feel pretty much the same way.

Question: "MotorVation"? What do you mean in your remark, "Equal Opportunity B...."? This seems to add a new dimension to this discussion.

Thank you for your response.

1shemp said:
Phooey! Do your own thing.Too much "success" pressure in the USA.
Thank you for your response "1shemp". I agree..."too much". When "success pressure" causes Individuals to make decisions that "harm" Other individuals, then something is out of Balance.

I just finished watching the video, "Calaverasgrande". It provides several good insights into the motivation and practice of maintaining this Family business in a dynamic balance. 

The primary driving force for its continuance was their religion. The needs of the shrine and its visitors, supplied the demand for their product.

They did upgrade the mechanical aspects of preparing the food product a little, but only in areas of the production process that wouldn't interfere with the hand made nature of the product.

The only quality cut they have done is to reduce the quantity of the product for the price.

Shutting down for two months, because of covid, using their savings to survive that inactive period, shows that one can stop and then resume a well managed business, or other process.