Quartzsite AZ Mountain Lions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planet-beaver

Reaction score

I didn't realize that land east of Quartzsite (our campsite) had the largest population of MTN Lions in Arizona and possibly in USA. I know we will not wonder out at night. Nothing scares me more than those large cats. I will have bear spray on me all the time.

See you there in January.

Hmmm, in all my time in Quartzsite I've never heard of a mountain lion sighting. Had no idea there were any at all here. I do know there is a pretty good sized her of deer live very near here, I see them from time to time. Apparently the mountain lions don't bother them.

That is something I have zero fear from.
Bob

I saw one last Saturday at Beaver Stadium.

http://www.hark.com/clips/lmnfxtdxml-nittany-lion-roar

lion.jpg

Here on the Oregon coast, we DO have mountain lions, (quite a few of them actually), and a buddy of mine recently shot one about 5 miles from my home.

He runs an auto body shop, and started getting phone calls from people he never knew, thanking him for eradicating this animal.
Apparently, it's been killing a lot of family's pets up on the ridge.

very cool video. there sure was a big difference in that fat old lion in the zoo, and the skinny ones in the wild. highdesertranger

The Mountain Lion footage in the beginning of this video looks like the Desert Musuem ( Mt.Lion enclosure) in Tucson.They estimate 5 to 7 in the entire KOFA NWR, that is not very many for such a large area.I have spent a lot of time hiking in the KOFA and have seen plenty of Bighorn and Muledeer but never a Lion.In the BLM land surrounding Quartzsite the only dangerous preditor stands upright and wears shoes.

I can easily believe they are down in the KOFA, but I'd be very surprised it they range up to here.
Bob

I usually carry walking stick when I am out hiking. Nothing terrifies a 150 pound cat like an old woman with a stick.

Mountain lions are not seen a lot but are in many different places in the US. I think I had one stalk me here in northern Nevada, I was out for a walk on a warm evening when I heard something bound across the road behind me. It sent chills up my back! I knew it wasn't a deer because it sounded like large paws on the road.

Even if there are mountain lions close to Q, I'd bet you lunch that when a million RVs pull in, they head for the hills.

I know we are safe at the camp with all the people, dogs and RVs/vans. But I'm an avid mountain biker and was planning to ride alone around KOFA (60-80 mile trips). With 5-7 lions in those hills, I think I will stick to just walking around our camp for few miles. I'm also big with Astronomy (sitting in the dark, alone, away from any lights miles deep in the desert). I will just bring binos instead of telescope and lay on the roof of the van.

Yeah I know. I'm a big chicken but there are just too many Lion attacks lately.

planet-beaver said:
I know we are safe at the camp with all the people, dogs and RVs/vans. But I'm an avid mountain biker and was planning to ride alone around KOFA (60-80 mile trips). With 5-7 lions in those hills, I think I will stick to just walking around our camp for few 

Yeah I know. I'm a big chicken but there are just too many Lion attacks lately.

Not at all, with the big horn sheep there they have a source of food in a huge, wild wilderness area. Caution seems very wise. There are several hiking trails fairly close to the the camping area, I think those get enough traffic to be safe.
Bob

I have only camped in Quartzsite for the RTR. For me Ehrenberg is more convenient so I live on a bluff overlooking Blythe. I am amazed, and wonder what they eat. I am sure all the people that will arrive over the next month or so will keep them away. Lots of Coyotes everywhere...
This will be a good research project for the morning over coffee!

Sameer, I'm in the general area you are now. I took a walk in one of the washes and found lots of deer scat, no way to tell how old it is. At this time I don't see what the mice and rats eat its so desolate and dry.
Sameer said:
I have only camped in Quartzsite for the RTR. For me Ehrenberg is more convenient so I live on a bluff overlooking Blythe. I am amazed, and wonder what they eat. I am sure all the people that will arrive over the next month or so will keep them away. Lots of Coyotes everywhere...
This will be a good research project for the morning over coffee!

On the flip side, I've spent almost 25 years actively hunting in the mountains of Colorado. In areas with known lion populations. I've seen tracks many times, and probably been watched by the big cats many times. But I've only actually seen one once. Cats are one of the most elusive critters out there. Not to worry though - unless you are small in stature and make a habit of walking under rock overcroppings (they almost always attack from above) you are pretty safe, even at night. The exception to this is in places where they've lost they're natural fear of humans for one reason or another - I don't think that has happened in the AZ desert yet. I actually like that there is a chance they may be there, as long as they don't start to become habituated so the local wildlife officers feel a need to deal with them. That is always to the detriment of the animal. Having a large predator around makes me feel more "alive". I know, I'm very un American and weird that way!

masterplumber said:
On the flip side, I've spent almost 25 years actively hunting in the mountains of Colorado. In areas with known lion populations. I've seen tracks many times, and probably been watched by the big cats many times. But I've only actually seen one once. Cats are one of the most elusive critters out there. Not to worry though - unless you are small in stature and make a habit of walking under rock overcroppings (they almost always attack from above) you are pretty safe, even at night. The exception to this is in places where they've lost they're natural fear of humans for one reason or another - I don't think that has happened in the AZ desert yet. I actually like that there is a chance they may be there, as long as they don't start to become habituated so the local wildlife officers feel a need to deal with them. That is always to the detriment of the animal. Having a large predator around makes me feel more "alive". I know, I'm very un American and weird that way!
I hope they never lose their fear of man. Once they do, man is prey and the cat is dead. That's not a happy idea.

Latest posts