Putting a swivel table into my minivan with Danny

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyoning.Cat

Reaction score
[font=Lato, sans-serif]This follows on from Day 1 and 2.[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]So, it was the third day at Danny’s and I wasn’t expecting on doing a whole lot, but before I knew it, we were on our way to Home Depot, Nicki sitting between the seats.
There were two main goals in mind. The first was to cover the top of the bed. We quickly found a role of indoor/outdoor carpet that would work well.
The second job was more complicated and involved a rotating table, made predominantly from plumbing pipe (the design would be based on Derrick and Paula’s swivel table video).[/font]
[font=Lato, sans-serif]
We had recorded the rough dimensions we needed and soon had two lengths of 1″ steel piping (M-M), two right angle pieces (one M-M, the other M-F), a flange to fix the table to the piping, a PVC sleeve that fit snugly over the 1″ pipe, and end cap, and a plug to go into the end of the steel pipe so it would spin more easily in the PVC end cap. We also picked up a few brackets to fix the mount to the side of the bed.[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]
p31700011.jpg
[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]When we got back it was relatively easy to put all the pieces together. With Danny’s help, I cut the PVC sleeve to the right height and then cut a piece of cardboard to use as a mock tabletop. We progressively cut pieces off the template until it was a practical size.
Before we could position the post of the table to the bed, we used an angle grinder make one side flat so it would sit parallel to the side of the bed. Sitting on the chair, we then positioned the table so it was comfortable to work on, swing the table around to see how it would move and if it would collide with anything.
The lid of the bed was then marked so a small section could be cut out.[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]After cutting a recess into the lid handle, we put the mock table in place holding the table stand/post against the side of the bed frame to mark the location of the holes that would fix it to the side. Holes were drilled and the PVC sleeve was bolted to the side of the bed with a few clamps.[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]
p31700081.jpg
[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]The table stand slid snugly into its home creating a super sturdy cup stand![/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]
p3170009.jpg
[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]The cardboard template was again put in place (to appease my sanity) before I cut a piece of ply that would become the table top.
To make the table a bit more friendly, we used a circular lid to radius the corners, removing them with a jig saw. A Japanese chamfer/angle(?) plane was then used to take the edge off.[/font]
[font=Lato, sans-serif]The table in place, holes were marked, drilled and soon some bolts went in. Tightening the bolts sunk the hex heads into the wood. But some of them started spinning and would not tighten, and with them recessed there was no way to get a spanner (aka “wrench” for Nth Americans) on them (prevent them from spinning). The answer; a hammer. Brute force sent them home and with the thread now showing we could hold onto the thread with some vice grips to stop the bolt from spinning with the nut.[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]
p3170013.jpg
[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]Whilst hammering the bolts in, I had put some dents in the table. Danny went inside and returned with a clothes iron. I was a little confused… he put water on the surface and after letting it soak in a little, literally ironed out the indents I had inflicted on the table. What a neat trick. I remember saying something along the lines of “it actually worked” and Danny looked at me, his expression almost of disappointment that I had doubted his plans.[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]
p3170014.jpg
[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]I smoothed the tabletop carefully with an orbital sander. This took some time and putting the sander down it was a relief to have the table pretty much finished. I returned to the van putting it in place and brushing my hand over the smooth surfaces.
We applied a few coats of polyurethane and whilst drying packed away some tools, and began on the laying the carpet on the bed surface.[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]We measured the length of the bed and using a hooked knife, ran it along the folded edge of the carpet. We then set it in place with some spray adhesive. We didn’t quite finish the carpet laying, leaving the edges a little rough. I’ll have to get some more adhesive and finish it on the road.[/font]
[font=Lato, sans-serif]Some more coats of polyurethane, packed more gear away, and soon put everything in place in the van for some photos.
Wow! I can’t believe how nice it was looking! The grey carpet matched the car interior and the table seemed practical as well as non intrusive. I really wasn’t expecting to have it in today![/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]
p3170023.jpg
[/font]
[font=Lato, sans-serif]
p3170025.jpg
[/font]

[font=Lato, sans-serif]I felt like I owed Danny a lot, and it was hard to leave… But I had made plans to meet up with Jimmy (a canyoner I had met in Death Valley). So eventually I packed my stuff into the car and was soon on the road to Vegas, the tractor beam of light soon visible piercing the clouds.[/font]

Very nice, I especially like how you were able to keep the one back seat and yet still have it work for more than just a passenger seat that gets in the way of living. I'd love to run into you on the road sometime. I used to Canyoneer a lot. Last year I was only able to get a couple canyons in and I miss it a lot.

We used a similar trick when we were finishing up on Air Force One, back in the day.

Whenever we found a small dent or scratch, we would use linseed oil and the iron to pull out the dents.

And we would also use pecans and or walnut halves to push into the scratches, and they would simply disappear.... It was so awesummm!

I just luv the old school "Tricks"

Such Fun!

That "iron trick" is an old one among we who do gunstock work. Basically, the wood's cellulose fibers have been compressed. The hot steam goes in and swells them back out. This will not work if the wood is badly crushed.

The other thing that is pretty cool is that if the seat ever does get in the way, I can still recess it into the floor! Here are a few photos where this has been done.
I haven't actually done this yet, but I think someone should be able to sleep in the space.

0317171637a.jpg

P3170018.JPG

P3170019.JPG

masterplumber said:
Very nice, I especially like how you were able to keep the one back seat and yet still have it work for more than just a passenger seat that gets in the way of living. I'd love to run into you on the road sometime. I used to Canyoneer a lot. Last year I was only able to get a couple canyons in and I miss it a lot.

I but you also like it because you're the "masterplumber" ;)

Yeah, canyoning/canyoneering is pretty fun. I did quite a lot of them whilst I was in the US. I'm actually on Vancouver Island now. I'll be working here for the summer. I haven't done them yet, but there are a few canyons on the island that people run, and quite a few in North Vancouver and up towards Squamish, so if you are up here let me know and we can meet up!

What an awesome build! I love, love, love the swivel table and now covet it... My van is going to be a mess by the time I implement every good idea I see!

Here is a link to some of the build photos. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ypntit1d36mqk2r/AAAfftcknf7N8G0GMiLEU0a9a?dl=0

Day one was about making the bed fit an uneven floor. Day two was mostly about making all of the storage accessible from the top. We kept the hinge running lengthwise 4" away from the edge so there would be room for the mattress when opened. Day three was mostly about the table. We also covered the bed in light carpet to keep any hardware from rubbing a hole in the air mattress.

AbuelaLoca said:
What an awesome build! I love, love, love the swivel table and now covet it... My van is going to be a mess by the time I implement every good idea I see!

It is good to know what you want. It makes it a lot easier on the builder. Design is a tricky part as things need to fit together. If you have to go back and change something that you just built so that something else will work, it makes the job a lot more frustrating. 

If you know what you want and where you want it, the builder can figure the best way to get it all together. 
I still am watching van build videos to figure out how I want to redo my van. I don't live in it, and it works just like it is, but I think it could be better.

GotSmart reminded me today that I need to go on a few local weekend getaways before I get too excited about traveling! If my company doesn't show up this weekend I might spend the night in the nearby conservation area and as he suggested, "take pen and paper to write down" ideas and such!

I really don't know what I want! I see things I like and want to implement, but no clue if it will actually work in my build :-D

Canyoning.Cat said:
I but you also like it because you're the "masterplumber" ;)

Yeah, canyoning/canyoneering is pretty fun. I did quite a lot of them whilst I was in the US. I'm actually on Vancouver Island now. I'll be working here for the summer. I haven't done them yet, but there are a few canyons on the island that people run, and quite a few in North Vancouver and up towards Squamish, so if you are up here let me know and we can meet up!

Well yeah, my folding bed and shelf supports in my trailer are pipes and floor flanges, along with other odd bits of plumbing hardware here and there.  :D I was on Vancouver Island last summer with my wife for our 30th anniversary. I think she might have been a little upset if I had snuck off to do a canyon, plus I had no gear with me. I'm really liking those mini vans with the stow and go seating. I've seen a few builds and they seem very versatile. I really want something for quick road trips that is smaller and gets better mileage than my work truck, but it needs to be cheap, and if possible be able to serve as a run about while home too. From your web site it looks like you're originally from AUS. I'd love to have one of the Toyota FJ 78 Troopies that seem to be a dime a dozen down there, but to get one here requires it to be over 25 years old to import and would cost a mint. How does the van do going to the remote places the trailheads for canyons tend to be? My biggest concern would be the lack of ground clearance.

Another method is make a list of what you don't want. Where don't you want the bed, storage, kitchen, toilet, shower, etc.
often we know more about what we don't want.

You can make a list of things that you do like without being too specific. Do you want to climb in and out of the rear doors, or are you happy with the back doors just letting you into storage. Opening the rear or side barn doors, can a roof and 3rd wall make a shower room for you, How wide and long does your bed need to be, can you fit sleeping sideways across the van. do you want a full time bed, or can it be something like a couch that becomes a bed. Do you really want a sink, or is a plastic tub good for you. Do you want the passenger seat to be on a pivot, turned around or even removed. lets say you turn it around, do you want a foot rest, a work table that swings out of your way. Perhaps a reading light there. Do you like to read in bed before sleep, Where will you be using the laptop. A TV that pivots so that you can watch it from either the turned around passenger seat or the bed. How much food storage do you need , water storage, clothes. Where do you want the porta potti, in a cabinet, between the front seats. What are you going to use for a stove. What kind of heater will you use if any. Will you have a large propane tank. What kind of insulation, (if any), is your favorite. Will you have a cooler or refrigerator.

Whew... brain overload!!! Taking a picture with my phone so I can remember to sit and contemplate these things!!! Thanks!!

masterplumber said:
Well yeah, my folding bed and shelf supports in my trailer are pipes and floor flanges, along with other odd bits of plumbing hardware here and there.  :D I was on Vancouver Island last summer with my wife for our 30th anniversary. I think she might have been a little upset if I had snuck off to do a canyon, plus I had no gear with me. I'm really liking those mini vans with the stow and go seating. I've seen a few builds and they seem very versatile. I really want something for quick road trips that is smaller and gets better mileage than my work truck, but it needs to be cheap, and if possible be able to serve as a run about while home too. From your web site it looks like you're originally from AUS. I'd love to have one of the Toyota FJ 78 Troopies that seem to be a dime a dozen down there, but to get one here requires it to be over 25 years old to import and would cost a mint. How does the van do going to the remote places the trailheads for canyons tend to be? My biggest concern would be the lack of ground clearance.

Yeah I'm from Australia... I have a work VISA for Canada and actually just finished my first week at Horne Lake Caves. The water here is still pretty cold, so no canyons for a while, but I'm hoping to do quite a bit of caving and hopefully get a kayak!
I haven't had too much trouble getting to trailheads. Two of the worst roads were around Southern Nevada. Antanne Canyon required me to get out of the car quite a bit to remove rocks, and I also had to build up some areas so I wouldn't bottom out. But in general its been pretty good. Knowing where to put your wheels and driving over obstacles at an an angle gets you a long way. The closest I have come to getting stuck was on a road that followed a sandy wash (Ringpin Canyon - on the Arizona side of Black Canyon).
Back at home I have a 1988 Toyota Hilux (well someone else has adopted it now). My brother got an old Land Cruiser not that long ago and has been having fun with it on the weekends.