purchasing... next week

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
After reviewing hours upon hours of sites and posts I am still no better off than I was before in regards to knowing what exactly to get. I am hoping to make it easy as I can and am posting the links to the items I plan to purchase this week. (payday pfft..)

I am far to new and ignant and prefer a kit instead of piecing parts out individually. I undesrtand I can save xyz amounts but I need a KIT at this point even if it is just for reassuring myself that I can blame someone else if I get burnt up.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html  (the link here is to the kit I plan to buy)

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-Volt-35-Amp-Hour-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-64102.html (and here is the link to the battery I figured I would get 3 of them... 2 would be nice as well?)

I am guessing I don't need much more than that out the door? Of course I will get some extra wire  locally...

Do you have any alternates that could save me a bit of cash? I was considering just a regular flooded battery for the cost savings and then upgrade it in a year or so.

I wont be doing much with the electricity outside of recharging phone and ipad and lights. Maybe a fan on occasion but not needed at this point but will see. Do you think I could get away with 2 of those batteries when using the 100 watt solar kit ..given my meager needs?

Any input would be great. I am at the precipice.

35 Amp hours for 70 bucks seems pricey--- but I could be wrong, I'm no an expert in the electrical stuff.
I have two 225 amp hour 6v golf cart batteries wired in series to 12 v and they were a little
over $100 each about a year ago at Sams. Supposedly there is some advantage in 6 volt golf cart batteries, but
I don't remember the details from when I was researching.

Sofisintown said:
I was just looking at that kit just before I saw this post. There is a video too, and the parts are 25watt each and can be used separately  For the kit price is ok, but a regular 100W panel is $75 now, with less moving parts.
https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html
But for the battery, you need a deep cycle. The regular automotive battery will die an untimely death if you discharge it too much , say, 5 times. There is not much price difference between regular and deep cycle.
I forgot about the deep cycle component. I wlll be sure to check that.

I had originally thought of this  battery posted here  >>   https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Po...p/B00S1RT58C/ref=psdc_389574011_t1_B07BS1ZB15

I kinda liked the 4 individual panels.. :) looks like I can fold them easier for travel..  I wasn't wanting to  attach anything to the roof.

trailer-t said:
35 Amp hours for 70 bucks seems pricey--- but I could be wrong, I'm no an expert in the electrical stuff. 
I have two 225 amp hour 6v golf cart batteries wired in series to 12 v and they were a little
over $100 each about a year ago at Sams.  Supposedly there is some advantage in 6 volt golf cart batteries, but
Thanks T!

Yes I thought they were a bit expensive also. I did find a coupon for 10 bux off each. However as Sofi mentioned I should be sure to go deep cycle.

I also heard alot about golf cart batteries but don't recall much about it.  There is such a mound of solar info out there I have yet to find the authoritative source. Thats where all you kind folks come in. Nothing beats direct experience!

Thats a  good video. Very easy to understand. I think a 5 year old could follow those instructions.

Thanks for digging it up!

I have his book and it is equally easy to understand. "Mobile Solar Power Made easy!."
Not affiliated with him and never spoke to or met the author.

From his presentation, I imagine the book is well worth it. Ill have to order the hard copy and wait for delivery.

For people that know all the solar stuff and theory the book may be a bit too simplistic, but for people (like me) that are trying to understand the basics it is well worth owning. It is 87 pages.

for your devices you plan on using thats all you need. The 35ah battery will work ok as long as you don't drain it below 50 percent (12.1 volt), the deep cycle batteries are better suited if you plan to take the battery all the way to zero percent (below 11.5 volts). If later you need more capacity, just buy another 35ah battery and parallel to your battery.

The 35ah battery will give you about 17ah of usable power, enough to charge your cell phone/ipad/led lights at night time. During the day the 100 watt solar panel will produce enough amps (about 5 amps when sun is brightest) to run your devices and top off the battery.

Just make sure you measure the voltage at the battery terminals, it should read 14.4 volts when the controller says the battery is fully charge. With agm batteries they need to be fully charge everytime. Anything less then 14.4 volts while charging and the battery won't last long. After it stops charging it should at least read 12.7 volts. If the battery is too far from controller you might have voltage drop and battery won't reach 14.4 volts.

batt  soc.jpg

The only thing I would recommend is to get a 90 volt 30 amp combo meter (about 25 dollars on ebay) and connect between controller and battery. Its a bright LED that will give you a realtime reading of battery voltage and amps going into battery. I have on my solar system for years, no need to squint to try and read the controller LCD which is not as accurate reading as what the battery reads.

combo meter c.jpg

Attachments

• batt  soc.jpg
    batt soc.jpg
    30.7 KB
  • combo meter c.jpg
    combo meter c.jpg
    64.2 KB
It would be fantastic to be able to buy a smaller battery. 35ah deep cycle agm? I imagine as I get rolling and want a fridge maybe then at that time I can power up. I would rather  scale up than have more than I can use/need.

Thanks for the input jonyjoe.

How much are you traveling? You may not need solar. You can get a DC-DC three stage charger that maybe all you need. Renogy sells a 20A version here.
https://www.renogy.com/12v-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger/

It will restore 20AH for every hour you drive.

You would need three of those AGM batteries to use this charger to keep charge rate down to .2C (20A into 100AH battery).

If your needs require solar, consider HQST 100W suitcase with charger for $153.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HQST-100W-...Renogy-10A-PWM-Charge-Controller/164088409549

Another battery option is used Icccnexergy 12V 38AH Lifepo4 on ebay for $114. They are pulled from hospitals typically.
These particular batteries have limitation of 20A draw, but can be charged at 20A too.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=iccnexergy+lithium+battery

Use this with a Renogy 20A DC-DC charger and you have a very usable setup.
https://www.renogy.com/12v-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger/

Lifepo4 has many advantages over AGM.
o 2000-4000 cycles for Lifepo4 (AGM is 500-1000 cycles)
o 5 times faster charge rate (.2C versus 1C)
o no voltage sag using high current devices
o will accept 20A Renogy charger right till it tops off (AGM last 20% absorption stage takes many hours to complete)
o can be drained to 0% without damage due to internal BMS (AGM limited to 50%, but some say 20%)

If you drain this empty, Renogy charger would fully charge it in two hours drive.

Lithium is more expensive initially but cheaper over the long term. A battleborn will probably last 20 years

Stay away from amorphous panels.That's old school,obsolete tech.I don't know why folks think solar is so complicated.There are only 4 components (3 if you don't need ac)A panel wired to a charge controller which is wired to a battery.Rule of thumb is 200 watts of panel for every 100 amp hr. of battery storage.2nd rule of thumb.You will be wanting more power in the future.Hundred watt panels on ebay are selling for around $75.Add a pwm controller for $15 and a Walmart 100ah deep cycle battery for $85 and you are off to a good start.

1shemp said:
Stay away from amorphous panels.That's old school,obsolete tech.I don't know why folks think solar is so complicated.There are only 4 components (3 if you don't need ac)A panel wired to a charge controller which is wired to a battery.Rule of thumb is 200 watts of panel for every 100 amp hr. of battery storage.2nd rule of thumb.You will be wanting more power in the future.Hundred  watt panels on ebay are selling for around $75.Add a pwm controller for $15 and a Walmart 100ah deep cycle battery for $85 and you are off to a good start.
People can't even agree on how to dispose of doodoo. It is not difficult at all to see why folks get confused about solar.

While needing only 4 basic pieces of equipment for a rudimentary system, your post demonstrates some of the questions that people have. Each component of the recipe has its own questions

You say 85$ deep cycle battery. OFC deep cycle is what is needed but folks get concerned over FLA, SLA, Lithium..etc etc.
At 85 bux for a 100ah..in my neck of the woods that is not a sealed battery and folks don't  necessarily want to gas themselves in their living space.

Then there are the various panel types. You and others indicate that amorph is the worst type of panel. I have read many articles that claim that not to be the case. So now we can thank the interweb for adding to the confusion.

100s of articles researched and not once did I find anyone stating that for every 100ah there should be 200 watts of panel.
THANK YOU! I appreciate the baseline.
If all solar info sites would indicate that off the start there would indeed be less confusion.The problem is that industry thrives when consumers are unsure..they make ALL their revenue off the ill informed.  People working on commission have zero care about your needs and indeed will try to sell a larger system... you know cause as you claim people are going to want more power.. we need more power Scotty!!

I however view van life as simplifying  and reducing consumption. In fact that is the trend of this lifestyle. There are of course outliers... there are folks who want to live a gluttonous consumer lifestyle. Those folks want all of the conveniences they had previously in a S&B in their mobile dwelling. That is their choice. We all have different goals. I would hope that folks would want to reduce their consumption. No one should be buying a larger system "just in case". That to me is a commission sales tactic. I believe in calculating the minimum need with a small buffer and making it work. Those stories I hear about folks that receive food stamps.. they know how much they get and yet run out of food long before the next "recharge". Have people truly forgotten how to "make it last"? More, more, more never satisfies a pig.

Two components in and I think we can see why in fact people are confused when it comes to solar. But wait.. we still have to sort out the charge controller... which come in all different sizes and type. Some have more information readouts and controls than others but is that all REALLY needed? Most people understand they need a controller, which one is the problem. Here is yet again another way the industry hopes to take advantage of your pocket book and will gladly guide a person into a purchase that is entirely unnecessary.  KISS.
All industry wants you to consume/waste more than is needed. All industry wants a poorly informed consumer.  In fact, industry will make a point to muddy the information pool by giving misleading information online for those trying to inform themselves, passing off a sales brochure as a research paper.

The person who lives in a 20,000 sqft home can not fathom how anyone could possibly live in a 2000 sqft home... the guy running a 1000 watt system can not fathom how anyone could possibly run a 100 watt system.

Each of us has a different purpose and different requirements. I bought the 100 watt amorph panels... I also bought a 35ah SEALED deep cycle..

I have need for ONLY recharge of phone, lights at night, and occasional recharge of iPad. I did not choose to build out a van to live in because I can't afford to live in S&B. I chose to do so because I want the freedom get out and explore and see new things and to reduce my consumption. If the meager system I have is woefully inadequate then I will look at upgrading. If the system I have is marginally inadequate then I will change my  consumption patterns. Instead of sitting inside all day playing on the phone or iPad.. maybe go for a bike ride or a walk or practice playing my oud?

imHo we should all be making due with less. The planet nor humanity will  survive if everyone needs more more more.

trailer-t said:
Supposedly there is some advantage in 6 volt golf cart batteries, but
The advantage of 6 volt batteries is simply weight. Given the same capacity, it's easier to lift two 6V batteries twice than it is to lift one 12V battery of the same capacity once.

^
If you lifted two 6v batts twice, you'd be lifting a total of four times. :dodgy:

By the Way... I want to thank everyone for sharing your experiences and knowledge in this thread.

I wish I had a larger budget and access for a  nicer system and the time/desire to wait for it to arrive in the mail. During this time of uncertainty and the mail system I really did not want to wait.  There is no doubt that will be of detriment somewhere down the line. It was a step forward and I really wanted to keep my momentum up.

No matter how many times we tell our kids that the stove will burn them..until they actually experience it they never will understand.

I appreciate all the heads up... I just hope it hurts only a little bit using my finger instead of the whole hand.

The first cautionary I noticed and didn't heed  was in regards to the size... LOL..  yes.. they are awkward and large and will become even more of an annoyance since I wont be mounting them...ugg

If someone had only told me before I bought them... :dodgy: