Pulling thee Trigger

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I joined a while back, but never really introduced myself. My name is Matt.

I have been living in Kentucky all my life and at 22 years old - I have decided to pull the trigger on van dwelling. I have quit my cushy corporate job and my apartment lease is almost up, and I have purchased a chevy express. I am currently in the process of condensing all my stuff in my apartment down, so it will fit in the van.

I want to travel west, eventually to the four corners! I love hiking and nature stuff, and I love Jiu Jitsu. Wish me luck.

Well, I sure can't fault you for wanting to get out of hot, humid KY summer! The great dry air in the mountains will astound you.

All of us "older folks" are hoping you have a plan for making money in your travels... and there are many on this forum who are younger and manage to do so nicely (workcamping, Amazon seasonal, etc.).

I would say you are right that, at your age, you need to see a lot more of what's "out there." Keep us posted and show some pics of what you do to your rig, how 'bout it?

Welcome to the CRVL forums Matt! Hope to see you at one of the RTR gatherings since you're on your way west! Good luck and don't forget to post pictures of your van.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Belated welcome from me to ya !   But welcome to  the CRVL forum. :D

I'm at the north east corner of Kentucky in Ohio.  (where Kentucky, Ohio, and  West Virginia all come together)

I salute your decision to live the corporate "revolving door" life sooner than later.   The seniority system and wife & kids make it a  }}}} TRAP {{{{    and if you can develop a skill that will let you be self employed and work as you want,  you'll probably be a lot happier than some of the old "Lifer's" you worked with.

I was in my later 20's when I left my last big corporate job.  It was comfortable there and the money was good
but between the old "alkies" and being a single guy who was looked on with suspicion (meaning seeing new single girls sitting on bosses laps and constantly being intimidated into promising I wouldn't say anything) I grew tired of the ferment and left it.   One of the best decisions of my young life.  (I could tell some stories of what I saw back then or write some of those "dirty paperback novels" sold at the Adult book stores)

I think the further you get from your past life the happier you will be.   All the best to ya !!!

I would suggest that you check out the lower link in my signature line and begin to plan your trip to see
as much as you can and slowly take all the side trips to see what the world has to offer.

Welcome aboard Matt !
I want to do this forever too !
Happy Trails.............................................

Hi Matt and everyone.    I too am new here and I wanted to say to you, Matt, that I'm nearing doing the same thing as you at 60 years old.  I have wanted to do this since I was around your age when I started spending up to about 7 or 8 days at a time in the bush (working) living out of a van. I fixed up that van with a bed, insulation, propane heater, stove, 12 volt tv and video cassette player so I could watch recorded programs.  A guy in the heavy duty shop issued me two 8D batteries for power (there was no solar back then)

I slept in a bag on the ground many times in the army and loved it. But in my view there is nothing better than sleeping out in the British Columbia forest on a cold rainy winter night, in a nice warm van!

At your age I had a wife and kids and needed to earn so it was out of the question to go full time. So I admire you, Matt. I wish I could have done it so young. Every chance I got I was out there in that van - even if I wasn't getting paid. Over the years I've had probably a dozen rigs.  Right now I have a 24 foot travel trailer that I live in in my daughters back yard in Vancouver Canada.  I have a room in the house but I prefer the trailer. I just bought a small slide in camper / camperette for my truck and I'm fixing it up with a dish, solar and all that so I can hit the road full-time.  

My thing is this: I retired 5 years ago at 55. I get $1400 a month pension from that and I also get $850 a month to help my daughter with her home based business.  I'm free to be away for up to a month maybe a couple of times a year, and I can always slide away for one or two weeks at a time, but I'm still tied down.  At this point she doesn't really need me, but she's a good kid and wants me around.  It costs me nothing to park my trailer in the yard and I have no debts, but no savings. (lost everything a few years ago in a bad investment idea) 

So I'm free except for one thing; I feel nervous about giving up the $850 my daughter pays me each month.  I've learned a lot here about the trade - off of freedom vrs increased income and I agree it's worth it. I've worked hard to cut back spending and I think I"ve got it down pretty good now, to just what I need. I have been sending money to Nicaragua every month (I sponsored a family to build house and start a business) but I think that can end now as they're doing very well with the new business.

Since about 2005 I've been going to California / Arizona in the winter for a month to a few months in my old full size camper (sold it a few years ago).  I missed the last two winters because I was in Nicaragua, but I think I've had enough of that and I miss Slab City and Quartzsite and all the other spots I've camped. So I'm coming back this winter and I'm excited!

My goal is to cut the cord and be a full-timer.  I think I can live on $1400 after learning from Bob and the others, and after seeing first hand how most people in Nicaragua live. But I struggle giving up that $850 even though I'm looking forward to finally, after all these years, answering the urge to live the way you people live. I can't make the RTR this month, but I WILL be at the one in Quartzsite in January. 

Bob, I think the most important service you and the others offer to others is validation for being who we are.  In the 70's people said I wanted to be a "bum" or a "hobo" and that was a disgraceful thing in those days. These days I'm a wanna be Nomad and I think I've found a bunch of other nomads. Feels good to find these characters, doesn't it Matt?

Roamer Rick

SSure said:
Hi Matt and everyone.    I too am new here and I wanted to say to you, Matt, that I'm nearing doing the same thing as you at 60 years old.  I have wanted to do this since I was around your age when I started spending up to about 7 or 8 days at a time in the bush (working) living out of a van. I fixed up that van with a bed, insulation, propane heater, stove, 12 volt tv and video cassette player so I could watch recorded programs.  A guy in the heavy duty shop issued me two 8D batteries for power (there was no solar back then)

I slept in a bag on the ground many times in the army and loved it. But in my view there is nothing better than sleeping out in the British Columbia forest on a cold rainy winter night, in a nice warm van!

At your age I had a wife and kids and needed to earn so it was out of the question to go full time. So I admire you, Matt. I wish I could have done it so young. Every chance I got I was out there in that van - even if I wasn't getting paid. Over the years I've had probably a dozen rigs.  Right now I have a 24 foot travel trailer that I live in in my daughters back yard in Vancouver Canada.  I have a room in the house but I prefer the trailer. I just bought a small slide in camper / camperette for my truck and I'm fixing it up with a dish, solar and all that so I can hit the road full-time.  

My thing is this: I retired 5 years ago at 55. I get $1400 a month pension from that and I also get $850 a month to help my daughter with her home based business.  I'm free to be away for up to a month maybe a couple of times a year, and I can always slide away for one or two weeks at a time, but I'm still tied down.  At this point she doesn't really need me, but she's a good kid and wants me around.  It costs me nothing to park my trailer in the yard and I have no debts, but no savings. (lost everything a few years ago in a bad investment idea) 

So I'm free except for one thing; I feel nervous about giving up the $850 my daughter pays me each month.  I've learned a lot here about the trade - off of freedom vrs increased income and I agree it's worth it. I've worked hard to cut back spending and I think I"ve got it down pretty good now, to just what I need. I have been sending money to Nicaragua every month (I sponsored a family to build house and start a business) but I think that can end now as they're doing very well with the new business.

Since about 2005 I've been going to California / Arizona in the winter for a month to a few months in my old full size camper (sold it a few years ago).  I missed the last two winters because I was in Nicaragua, but I think I've had enough of that and I miss Slab City and Quartzsite and all the other spots I've camped. So I'm coming back this winter and I'm excited!

My goal is to cut the cord and be a full-timer.  I think I can live on $1400 after learning from Bob and the others, and after seeing first hand how most people in Nicaragua live. But I struggle giving up that $850 even though I'm looking forward to finally, after all these years, answering the urge to live the way you people live. I can't make the RTR this month, but I WILL be at the one in Quartzsite in January. 

Bob, I think the most important service you and the others offer to others is validation for being who we are.  In the 70's people said I wanted to be a "bum" or a "hobo" and that was a disgraceful thing in those days. These days I'm a wanna be Nomad and I think I've found a bunch of other nomads. Feels good to find these characters, doesn't it Matt?

Roamer Rick
Roamer Rick,

I certainly want to validate you for being yourself. Some of us just need to be in Nature, and also are natural born nomads. This is a great forum to meet kindred spirits. Vancouver is beautiful. I was born in Canada, but now have American citizenship. I'll be setting out full time around the first of August.  I'll look forward to seeing you in January.

Iwant2dothis4ever said:
Hello everyone. I joined a while back, but never really introduced myself. My name is Matt.

I have been living in Kentucky all my life and at 22 years old - I have decided to pull the trigger on van dwelling. I have quit my cushy corporate job and my apartment lease is almost up, and I have purchased a chevy express. I am currently in the process of condensing all my stuff in my apartment down, so it will fit in the van.

I want to travel west, eventually to the four corners! I love hiking and nature stuff, and I love Jiu Jitsu. Wish me luck.

Hi Matt,

Wecome to the tribe, and Happy Trails!

Loving Arizona said:
Roamer Rick,

I certainly want to validate you for being yourself. Some of us just need to be in Nature, and also are natural born nomads. This is a great forum to meet kindred spirits. Vancouver is beautiful. I was born in Canada, but now have American citizenship. I'll be setting out full time around the first of August.  I'll look forward to seeing you in January.

Thank you, Loving Arizona.  Good luck with your full timing!! I can't wait to get going myself.  See you in January at the RTR.  I'm looking forward to meeting some of the folks from this forum. Lots of opportunities to learn.

Roamer Rick

Hey Matt, welcome! I'm a HUGE MMA fan. Hopefully I'll see you at the rtr  in january, maybe we can hit Vegas and see some fights!

Shamu said:
Hey Matt, welcome! I'm a HUGE MMA fan. Hopefully I'll see you at the rtr  in january, maybe we can hit Vegas and see some fights!

Absolutely! Hope to see ya soon