Public Toilets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in fact, you can feel free to start a sentence with a conjunction any time you like. Here’s what some of the major style manuals have to say about it:

Chicago Manual of Style (used widely in academic writing and general-interest books and magazines): “There is a widespread belief — one with no historical or grammatical foundation — that it is an error to begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and, but, or so. In fact, a substantial percentage (often as many as 10 percent) of the sentences in first-rate writing begin with conjunctions. It has been so for centuries, and even the most conservative grammarians have followed this practice” (section 5.203 in the 17th edition).

Merriam Webster’s Concise Dictionary of English Usage: “Everybody agrees that it’s all right to begin a sentence with and, and nearly everyone admits to having been taught at some past time that the practice was wrong” (entry under “and”).

The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (used widely in the social sciences), which is pretty persnickety about conjunctions (sections 4.22 and 4.24 in the 7th edition), doesn’t mention this issue at all, as far as I can see. Neither does the Associated Press Stylebook (used widely in newspapers and some magazines). So, arguably, they too consider it a non-issue.

Editors who worry about this sort of thing for a living (including me, God help me, × 20 years) learn the hard way to be aware of faux rules. And they’re alert for times when even rules that are legit in one setting don’t apply in another. For example, what’s considered right in American English might be wrong in British English and vice versa. (New Hart’s Rules/Oxford Style Guide, one of the go-to manuals for British English, has an entire chapter [chapter 21 in the 2nd edition] on the differences between these two Englishes.) And the reason I’ve been religiously giving edition numbers in these quotes is that even within one style/usage tradition, the rules change over time.

But an even more important point is that these “rules” are made for formal writing, and they don’t really apply to informal speech. (FWIW, every editing forum I’ve been in has had a strict rule about not correcting each other’s grammar. And people have perpetually tried to slide by that rule, LOL, just like they try to slide by the “no politics” rule here.)

So it’s always good when you see a “rule” to ask yourself “who says this is a rule? and does it apply to this situation?” And unless you’re forced to stick to a particular rule set, you can also ask “what is this rule good for?” Grammar, usage, and style rules are here to serve us, not vice versa. If it helps you to be more precise, or easier to understand, great. If you need to impress a teacher or judge or college admissions officer, fine. Otherwise, take it with a grain of salt.

Oh Lord, there must be a 12-step program for this.

Believe it or not, a couple of years ago they caught some pervert in the bottom of a outdoor toilet at a state park in Oklahoma.

I guess when they pulled him out they hosed him down. LOLOLOLOL

Last edited:
I have a Shewee that works great and I'm thinking about getting a p-style. Hovering is a thing in the very distant past.

I have a Shewee that works great and I'm thinking about getting a p-style. Hovering is a thing in the very distant past.

I've found the p-style to work great. Mine's a few years old. I just wish it was made from a stiff silicone instead of a hard plastic.

I keep it in my van or car, under the front driver's seat, so it's easy to grab when needed. It's in a ziplock, wrapped in a paper towel, and nests inside a roll of tp.

As a camp host, I can tell you my biggest problem was with women "hovering" over the toilet and pissing all over the place. They don't even put the lid up, even though they don't plan on sitting on it. I almost NEVER had to clean up piss on the seats in the men's toilets.

If all women would stop thinking they are too good to sit down on the darn seat like a normal person, then all women could have clean seats to sit down on.
So women really are nasty after all??? My momma didn't lie to me :cool:

... gross and... scary.

As a female, the conditions are not always conducive for hovering. Sitting down, I always wonder what frightening abomination, born out of human fecal matter, may be lying in wait, ready to reach up and grab my privates. My imagination really takes off with the vault toilet, so deep, dark and disgusting!
......and at least my sphincter is not contracted in anticipation of violation by shit monsters.

Greetings! I took the liberty of editing and just leaving the parts that stuck out to me more (puns intended).

I am a Certified-Combat Zone conditioned Hoverer. I.Can.Not.Sit.on.a.Toilet that ain't mine.
Even in the Combat Zones in full-combat attire (gas mask, web gear, weapon, Vest); my little arse would hover. My Western counterparts were infamous for sprinkling on the toilets, and the LNs (local nationals) were famous for squatting over the toilet openings; the latter left footprint on either side of the hole.​
I posted about this in another thread but /\/\ these experiences is what led me to my DIY She-wee crafted from an empty water bottle. I'd toss them at the end of the day and make a new one.

There are some cultures where squatting is considered normal and (IIRC) sitting is considered gross and unhygienic. It's not really which method you choose, it's what condition you leave the place in for the next person.

Nasty is as nasty does.