Public Toilets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywater

Reaction score
Somewhere along on my journey west, the roadside and park facilities changed. In Colorado and Utah I found a lot of vault toilets. I find these to be along the same horrid lines as a port a potty. Only a little more gross and way more scary.

As a female, the conditions are not always conducive for hovering. Sitting down, I always wonder what frightening abomination, born out of human fecal matter, may be lying in wait, ready to reach up and grab my privates. My imagination really takes off with the vault toilet, so deep, dark and disgusting!

Here in California, I have found them to install the same frigid metal contraptions as what I experienced during my brief time incarcerated. Utilitarian, though it uses water the vault toilets do not. Though never appreciated, the dreaded icy touch to your hind quarters is momentary, and at least my sphincter is not contracted in anticipation of violation by shit monsters.

Hello Sky, and welcome to the forum. You should go to the Newcomer section and introduce yourself.

The most likely frightening abomination will likely be some horrible thing 4" long and with 8 legs. Some spiders have a nasty temperament - bite first, ask for forgiveness second.

I think males are just as finicky about outback toilet seats. So, don't sit, rather squat. It also helps build your hiking muscles, and it's good practice for when you're out in the woods where the bears go potty.

Skywater I’ve NEVER heard of anyone actually sitting in a portapot or vault toilet!!! That ain’t right! Aghhhhhhh

Whenever I run across a particularly gross pit toilet I just use my bucket toilet and either dispose of the bag and contents into a dumpster or empty the bag into the vault toilet and dispose of the bag later.

Some vault toilets can be downright nasty.

Does a bear crap in the woods? Not my business, but before I use a public toilet, I will. Find you a nice log out among the pines in a peaceful setting, bring your thermos, a hot cup of coffee to get things moving, relax, and meditate.

@Skywater ... that was well written and delightfully fun to read, I'm still chuckling to myself. :thumbsup:

Clorox wipes and a latex glove packed in a baggy. A Sh** Kit.

Skywater i want to see the movie on those s!@# monsters. You gotta patent that it is hilarious.   -crofter

I was a camp host this summer. I had 11 vault toilets to clean. And I popped in them every day. Then I popped in vault toilets all down the coast from WA to TX. I never saw anything but pee, poop, TP, & houseflies in a vault. And you can shoo out the flies. I only ever had to clean the seat before sitting on it twice.

No, I don't like sitting in shit.

I think all the people who moan and complain about their imaginary fears of vault toilets really just need to get over themselves. It ain't that bad.

Vault toilets are pretty nice IMO. I never get odors out of them like a porta potty even in mid-summer with 413 flies buzzing around. When I find one I often camp near it.

Much less disgusting than dealing with a poop bag especially ones used 3x cause youre low on bags and weighs as much as a gallon of milk.

Skywater said:
As a female, the conditions are not always conducive for hovering. Sitting down, I always wonder what frightening abomination, born out of human fecal matter, may be lying in wait, ready to reach up and grab my privates. My imagination really takes off with the vault toilet, so deep, dark and disgusting!
You cannot declare yourself as a nomad until you actually sit on a vault toilet :)

Cammalu said:
Skywater I’ve NEVER heard of anyone actually sitting in a portapot or vault toilet!!!  That ain’t right!  Aghhhhhhh
You haven't camped long enough..........

LoveCareThinkDo said:
I think all the people who moan and complain about their imaginary fears of vault toilets really just need to get over themselves. It ain't that bad.
There you go  :thumbsup:

Skywater said:
As a female, the conditions are not always conducive for hovering. 

As a camp host, I can tell you my biggest problem was with women "hovering" over the toilet and pissing all over the place. They don't even put the lid up, even though they don't plan on sitting on it. I almost NEVER had to clean up piss on the seats in the men's toilets.

If all women would stop thinking they are too good to sit down on the darn seat like a normal person, then all women could have clean seats to sit down on.

It’s not a matter of being too good. It’s a matter of personal hygiene. I drive the little carts at Walmart and everytime I clean the handles. The wipe is always really dirty afterwards.

You don’t know what kind of sickness or cold you can catch from other people. Many are extremely dirty and I don’t particularly want their germs or to get sick.

Damn!Now on top of everything else,I have to worry about taking a shit?

RollingOm said:
You haven't camped long enough..........

I think camping for well over half a century is long enough.

PS. In the olden days we didn’t have toilets at all so if that’s all you remember you must be pretty young.

Gee, whoever imagined NOT living in a building would be different from living in one? Go figure.

Hey, things aren't the same. Either you cope with it or you drive yourself to unhappiness.

Cammalu said:
Skywater I’ve NEVER heard of anyone actually sitting in a portapot or vault toilet!!!

And they're the ones who try to hover over the seat and end up spraying everything. Just sit on the fX*\A#% seat and send everything down the hole, and everyone will be happier.

Cammalu said:
You don’t know what kind of sickness or cold you can catch from other people.  Many are extremely dirty and I don’t particularly want their germs or to get sick.

We strengthen our immune system via exposure to germs.