Public Toilets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sure turned raucous. First thread I've seen where people were actually fighting about poop. LOL.

I see it all the time, people get a nice big motorhome and change entirely, they got room for extra cleaning supplies and before you know it she'll have one of those padded seats! LOL!!! I can't criticise as I used to have my "own" personal seat cut out of insulation in the winter that I hid up in the woods from the others.

Well, there's a thought. We of the finicky group can take our own seats into the vault and set it on top the throne. +1 for frog.

One thing about vaults and porta potty's, If everyone would put the lid down when done, it keeps the smell out and helps with flies. Get the word out. With the lid closed, the stink goes up the vent pipe instead of out the bowl into the room. Use your foot if you have to. Thank you.

Depends a lot on whether your own personal seat is made of metal or nice insulated material, like frog's. One of those surely ain't right.

Cammalu said:
Great. Go ahead and sit on other people’s piss and poop.

Look at miss rockerfeller here with her giant RV and upper society snide. Go back to your dressage, Beatrice.

Definitely too raucous. Maybe time for rvwandering to close it.

So many different opinions. Many had me laughing out loud, which was the main purpose of this thread. As a female, I do agree that hovering makes more of a mess when not done correctly. Many times, I've found a mens restroom cleaner than the women's.

They are all just toilets. A device for our disgusting, stinky, refuse. Shit catchers. Batter up!

This thread is funny but also real. But yea, I have been in pit toilets that were nasty and others that appeared pretty clean.

Please don't hover - that just makes a disgusting mess. Instead, just line the seat with with a couple of long strips of toilet paper. Problem solved.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

ZoNiE said:
One thing about vaults and porta potty's, If everyone would put the lid down when done, it keeps the smell out and helps with flies. Get the word out. With the lid closed, the stink goes up the vent pipe instead of out the bowl into the room. Use your foot if you have to. Thank you.

I'm still unconvinced on that one. In my experience (5 months, cleaning 11 vault toilets), when everything is closed up, the flies can still get in because they are attracted to the smell and methane. But once they are in, they can't find their way out. It's as if the vault and the restroom over it are giant fly traps. There were some bathrooms that I had to shoo a hundred flies out of every time I needed to clean them. But, when I left the doors propped open a few inches, there were FAR fewer flies.

The best ones are the ones where the "smokestack" creates a strong draw of air down into the vault and up out the "smokestack." All the flies and smell are sucked out with it. Plus, you get a nice breeze on your nether regions.

To be clear, I am not advocating that we all just ignore what may be on a toilet seat and sit in someone else's mess. But, we all have cleaning supplies close at hand. So, if a seat is dirty (rare, in my experience) you can always just clean it. I know. I know. It is not your job to clean up after other people. The question is: 

Do you want to be part of the problem or part of the solution. I have chosen the latter.

Once I made that choice, the next choice was if I wanted to stress about it or just be accepting that this is how the world is. Again, I chose the latter. I feel much better now.

Thanks for the very useful information. I do plan to avoid going into the women's vault toilets after hearing those stories you wrote.

Gotta say, vaults have come a long way over time!  I rarely find them objectionable, thanks to diligent hosts and employees, as well as concrete floors and ventilation systems.  Of course, I do the things Mommy taught me to keep from touching the seat and door handle with bare hands, etc.  An unclean flusher is more offensive to me, since "stuff" is actually made airborne when the seat is open.  I really, really try to avoid portalets:  too smelly and confining.  And... "wash your hands, Roger!"  Always.

Good for you, VF. If you do it right, then you don't have to wash your bumm, in addition.

31. Why can’t you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom?

Because the “P” is silent!

Oh no!! One of them escaped from YARC !   ~crofter

Really want to get grossed out? Check out "flush plume" particularly University of Connecticut. That's why Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David throw away any shoe laces that touch the floor in a public bathroom

Well at least I'm not going crazier than I already am, lol. I can't believe how much of a relief it is to finally be comfortable taking care of my own business.

I have no further interest in blackwater tanks and no remaining fears of "having to poop in a bucket/plastic bag".

I haven't personally used a nasty public restroom since and I don't think I ever will again. I'm a fan of Wirta lemon scented poo powder, but kitty litter or a baby diaper will work in a pinch; I know what trash compactor bags are for, but plastic grocery bags work in a pinch.

Nasty public bathroom s don't scare me at all. And that's an empowering feeling for us little old ladies.

And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.