Public shower precautions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue, no prob with the erection part as long as you're in your own shower stall.
Hey, its yours and you can wash it as fast as you want :D

Maybe we need to go over to that mens thread and discuss this fat vs skinny guy erection thing :D

UH~~~ Shower shoes. Got that. As far as the rest, Traffic cones and rotating lights, (Disco Balls) Right?

Greetings!

I would NEVER use any type of public shower...

I have one in my van for quick showers, and if I want a long luxurious shower (about twice a week) I heat my 7 gallon hot water container, usually with solar, go down to any old park where I can have grass beside my van, toss up my 2 second shower tent, and have a nice long luxurious shower.

I've done this all over the country, even in very busy parks, and no-one has ever said a word to me other than people curious about my set-up. I don't think there's any laws anywhere prohibiting showering in a park as long as you're not committing indecent exposure or something.

Even when it's pretty cold it isn't that bad. I just dry myself off totally and put my warm clothes on before opening up my shower stall and exiting. While you're showering, the hot water keeps you plenty warm enough.

This thing is big too, 3.5' x 3.5' I think. More than big enough for me to take an umbrella chair in with me to put my clothes on and not have to worry about getting them wet. I take my 7 gallon water jug w/pump etc. inside with me too.

Just my solution...

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

The CamperVan_Man said:
Greetings!

I would NEVER use any type of public shower...

Just wear flip flops and try not to touch anything. I'm a germaphobe myself and abuse anti-bacterial cleansers, so my immune systems is pretty weak. I easily catch viruses, etc. from others. But I've been training MMA for nearly 10 years, and we tread on and roll around in puddles of sweat on mats for 2-3 hours each day. I'm talking your face pressed right into these puddles of sweats from 50+ different people. Yes the mats were cleaned before we got there, but once 50+ people trains, there's no cleaning until closing time as the classes are back to back. All it takes is one dude with athlete's foot to not care (and most don't as they're paying $160/month + 1yr contract). Then there's ring worms, staph, etc. Not to mention, cuts, scrapes and fingernails clawing, etc. And training at the fighter/athlete levels, also weakens my immune system significantly.

The only time I ever caught ring worms and warts was when I skipped showering. Just that ONE time when I drove home to shower 35 minutes later. It took like 6 months to get rid of it. And the showers are 3-5x dirtier in comparison to say, Planet Fitness or most other big gyms.

Just bring your spray bottle of bleach water. Hose down everything about 1 minute before turning on the shower.

I cleaned the bathrooms here at the campground daily in season. The manager does them now and she's even fussier. Those showers are cleaner than my own because we use products made to kill off every possible germ. I shower in my trailer as a rule but ever so often I like a 20 minute hot shower and just can't get that with my tiny hot water heater. Caution to the wind. If I worried about every possible thing I could get, I'd never leave home. Those antibacterial hand washes are doing more harm than good but I won't convince my Mother of that.

Thank God (and anyone else) that I use my own shower. I got fed up using the park showers when it was 30F outside and about the same temp in the bathhouse (I took a thermometer in there with me) and the campground said the heater was working just fine!

FYI, if you use public showers(or even your own) carrying a spray bottle full of white vinegar isn't such a bad idea. If you worry about bacteria, but have allergic reactions to bleach or ammonia, spray down the floor-or whatever- with the vinegar. Not only will this kill bacteria -perhaps even MRSA, you could even use it for cleaning yourself. You can use for cleaning in your camper, cleaning off fruits n veggies before eating... And about 1000 other uses. Plus... It's cheap!

I was thinking of going to gyms for showers, but I am also going to get one of those Stearns Solar Shower bags, that and one of those larger Rubbermaid containers, a small shower curtain, a mat and voila, I can shower in the van. On You tube there is a young girl called Imma Alien - or Corinne, she has some pretty good advice on this too.

Yes, that works very well!!

Something else that works well if you boondock is to

1) open your back or side doors of your van so they form an enclosure
2) measure the distance between them when they are parallel to each other
3) cut a stick that length and put it between the doors at the top
4) just put a bungee cord and between the doors so it squeezes in on the stick so it can't fall out
5) hang a tarp or shower curtain from the stick (a wood dowel or curtain rod is your best choice).
6) throw the solar shower up on the roof to get hot.

And that's it, instant outdoor shower!! All you have to carry is a short dowel, bungee cord and a tarp.
Bob