Where do you shower (when you don't have a shower in your van)?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFocused

Reaction score
So, I have a small portable solar shower bag that I use, on occasion, when I'm out on some BLM land or somewhere a bit more private. Otherwise, I just use Planet Fitness, a friend's house, or sometimes a hospital that I'm currently working in at the time. 

I feel like the last year has made it hard for those of us that don't have a permanent shower option in our vans. I've lucked out. Where I have been living for the last 6 months the gyms have been open, I've had very great friends, and I have a hospital to shower at. Not everyone has been this lucky. In many states the gyms are have been closed for large amounts of time. What creative ways have you discovered to take care of your hygiene needs?

I'm going to list every way I've showered, plus some I haven't done but think might be a good idea. Do you have any others?

Places I've showered/bathed

1) Gyms
2) Campground showers
3) Beach showers
4) Friend's house
5) Hospital
6) Truck stops
7) Boat marina's public showers
8) Hostels
9) In a bathroom (sink bath)

Places I haven't tried but might be a good option

1) Public swimming pool showers
2) River or lake (controversial)

Overall I haven't found it too difficult to find a public shower option in my 2 years of van living, even through the pandemic. Have you had trouble?

Many cities have recreation centers (different from comm.gyms like PF). Some free. Some charge a fee for non-residents.

Homeless shelter.

Using a 2 gall. sprayer with shower curtain hung on the open rear doors of my van.

I have used a public swimming pool shower a couple of times.

Because of COVID, this past summer I avoided all public showers and instead used a washer drain pan inside the van. Sitting down using the sprayer or just a bucket and washcloth. Or many times just did a sponge bath.

Outdoor sponge bath out of a bucket. Requires at least some warmth and privacy. Or maybe not, if you have a swimsuit. this is my favorite method.

I certainly use public showers, but I am always just a wee bit nervous about cleanliness. Also, all I see when I look up is painted dry wall. Much prefer the outdoor methods.

My van came with a little shower tent, courtesy of the previous owner. Haven't used it yet, but I guess I might some day.

Self serve car wash... :D Not kidding. Seen it done.

Well all of these showers make me feel so dirty lol. Just kidding. But I have not taken a real shower since covid changed the world. I have, however, found an abundance of hot and warm springs in mostly wild and empty places. When there were no hot springs close, we hung pareos (sarongs, lavalavas) from our awning for privacy if needed and showered eachother with squeeze bottles.

Now I have one of those 2 gallon pressure spray things. They're awesome and versatile! Mine even has spray pattern choices and a trigger lock. I cut the long wand short so that the spray head is pretty much just past the trigger

I always heat up the plastic tube and bend it so when it is in the holder on the sprayer it sticks out far enough and points down so all I have to do is lean on the valve to wash. I also keep a microfiber towel clipped on to it to dry.

You seemed to cover them all. I have used all of those. Which when I used depends on where I am at and what is available.

Sponge bath, in the van, sitting on the 5-gallon bucket. I use a no-rinse body wash the medical world uses on bedridden patients.

Oh, and others for the list: laundromats with public showers. The one in Quartzsite is well known, but I've found them in Buena Vista CO and Cody WY.

There's also a convenience store on the west side of Pahrump with showers. And a gift shop in the town of Joshua Tree has showers. If you don't mind cold showers and don't need to use soap, there are the rinse stations at California beaches.

I followed AdventureVanMan's instructions on YouTube and built a weed sprayer camp shower. 2 gallons turns out to be just enough for a shower. I stand on a plastic mat I bought at Home Depot that I think is intended to be for placing muddy boots on it just inside the front door of your house to protect your floors. I have a shower tent, but have never used it. I'm to lazy to set it up. I just go in the woods & shower. I even used it on a quiet, lonely beach. Nobody around.

A couple months ago I showered at one of those rinse-off showers at a beach. I was desperate for a shower. No privacy, so I kept my boxers on the whole time. On the rare occasion I camp at a free place that has a shower, I find it nearly impossible to leave - lol! Even though I hate to stay in one place long.

Falcon County Park in TX has free camping with a hot shower.

Someday I'll get an RV after I win the lottery - lol!

-Stymie

MoTiger said:
Falcon County Park in TX has free camping with a hot shower.

The showers weren't functioning when I stayed there a few years ago.

I bought a Simple Shower last year after reading about it on here, I think.

https://www.simple-shower.com/

Basically a shower type nozzle for a one or two liter bottle of water.

Before I got this, I tried out the concept just using a bottle of water heated in the sun, and determined two liters is very adequate while one liter is not.

Stand in a collapsible bin, use a large disposable wipe as a washcloth to soap yourself up, throw that away (no rinsing thus required) and rinse with the two liters of water.

Very adequate.

I can’t wash my hair with this, but use a 2 1/2 gallon solar shower for that when I am without shower facilities.

All of your responses are great! I have a solar shower I use on occasion but maybe I'll look into building me one of these DIY pump showers that some of you linked!

I don’t understand why you put controversial next to river or lake. I have a couple of square kitty litter buckets that I heat up in the sun and use a kitchen pot, dump the water over me soap up, rinse. I usually warm water in sun for several hours. If no sun I warm water on stove. If near a river or lake I do the same standing several yards away from waters edge.I use biodegradable soap, and a bathing suit if People are around.I have had solar showers, as well as those 12 pump shower kits but find this method the easiest.

I like the security of having a 5-gallon bucket, large bowl, and a garden sprayer with me, in case an external source does not become readily available. I can even wash my hair over the bucket. I can wash my legs in the bucket and the nether regions over the bucket with the sprayer and use the bowl for a sponge bath for the rest of me, then I dump the gray water from the bowl into the bucket & clamp the lid on it until I dump it within a few hours.

flying kurbmaster said:
I don’t understand why you put controversial next to river or lake. I have a couple of square kitty litter buckets that I heat up in the sun and use a kitchen pot, dump the water over me soap up, rinse. I usually warm water in sun for several hours. If no sun I warm water on stove. If near a river or lake I do the same standing several yards away from waters edge.I use biodegradable soap, and a bathing suit if People are around.I have had solar showers, as well as those 12 pump shower kits but find this method the easiest.

I put controversial because... well, it is controversial. Biodegradable soap should not be used directly in a river, lake, or stream because the soap actually needs soil to degrade. Some people claim that even a small amount of biodegradable soap in a water source can affect the local microorganisms and biosphere. Others might claim a small amount on occasion wont affect much. That's why it's controversial. 

I try to follow the principle of "if everyone did this would it still be okay/sustainable?" IMO, best practice is to bathe 200 feet from any water source. 

https://www.muskokawatershed.org/blog/bathing-in-the-lake/

VanFocused said:
IMO, best practice is to bathe 200 feet from any water source. 

Stay awayyyyy from that spigot and bathtub!!!
[emoji13]

Haha! It's my inner hiker-talk coming out! You know what i mean  :angel: