Protection from the Elements While Outside

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway_1

Reaction score
Since I would not like to be inside a vehicle 24 / 7, I will want to spend at least a few hours a day outside.

Many of you have tarps to attach to your vehicle. That's good for non-gusty rain and mid-day sun. Some of you have extra tarps for side protection.

I think I'm going to need more than that.

I had a little spot of skin cancer years ago, so I need very good sun protection. Mosquitoes are very attracted to me. If I am outside not moving around, they are on me in five minutes so I need insect protection. I don't like putting chemicals on my skin so I need physical protection.

Being fully covered by clothing with a hat and one of those head nets would do the trick, but there would be some days where that would be too hot.

I am considering either a large, tall tent with screened window flaps or a screen room with fabric flaps or a canopy that accepts side panels and screens. Do any of you have experience with these? Do you have any other suggestions?

In really hot weather, no tent is going to be as cool and comfortable as a screen room.

Whatever you get, just make sure you can put it up solo if necessary.

Have you looked into the clothing that is worn in desert countries?  The clothing is long to protect them from the sun but supposedly the fabric is very lightweight and the clothing actually ask as shielding/shading. Just something to consider.

Australia has some great cool but UV protective clothing lines.

Ouch. I always wear a hat...and when I'm outside with my dog I wear a UV protection hat! They are pricey but last like foreva! One was my mom's and she's been gone 8 years now!.. the hat lives on

Watch what you eat when in buggy territory. Bananas and carrots are no-nos: their sugars are not filtered and go directly into the blood stream making you a tasty morsel! (and of course no cologne, scented deodorant, hand cream etc)

I keep the sun off my nose which tends to be very sensitive, but we need at least 15 minutes of direct sun a day for our Vitamin D! Sunscreens "cause" cancer if overused because they also block a necessary element we get from the sun that fights cancer. (The developers of sunscreens paid for research to prove it prevented sun cancer and when the study showed it increased skin cancer, they buried the study! It's in JAMA or the other Medical Journal...I read)

But it's not just the direct sun you are dealing with because some of our sun exposure comes from reflections! Even a no-see-um screen suit would prevent that. Just gotta have some wind slits in your tarp and some good strong knots???

From decades in the tropics without A/C, oversized coarse weave linen's great, just don't mind the wrinkles. . .

If you have the extra storage space, get a screen room. Rooms are nice, but they pack big.

Many EZ-Up styled canopies have removable panels, either netting or fabric walls, where you can have a myriad of set up choices. Nice to use a solid panel to block the wind or sun and keep the other side netted.
 Make sure than the room you purchase is waterproof. Many have a "sunshade" on the roof fabric, and leak like a sieve in the rain. Not good... :s

Most any canopy needs a two-person set up. You can manage doing it solo, but in a strong wind ask for a helper, if possible. Stake them down securely, using the vehicle as one of the sides  tie down point.

I know you said you weren't fond of chemicals, but,
Permethrin is a newer product where it treats your clothing. You soak your apparel and let dry. The treatment lasts thru several washings. Permethrin does a fantastic job at keeping the bugs away. Very effective on ticks, flies, skeeters. I highly recommend it. I've seen it keep swarms of mosquitoes and flies at bay!
 You can do your own research and see if your concerns outweigh the benefits. Ticks are becoming are a serious health risk!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Products-Premium-Insect-Repellent-for-Clothing-and-Gear/19887389

DEET based products melt plastic and nylon based materials.

I had that screen tent above. POS. Went back the day after we came home from our trip. We treated it with kid gloves, even with a rug and it still tore the bottom and the screen caught something (I couldn't figure out what) and holed.

Great concept, though.
Ted

I grew up in South Florida and the last 25 years, Central and Southern Arizona. White blonde hair, green eyes, very fair. I lived in the sun, but even in the 70s, I wore long sleeved white shirts and loose pants (scrub pants are good). For the last 20+ years I wear biking gloves, paddling gloves and /or sunscreen arm gaiters. Sarongs are also good to cover the legs.

I hate sunscreen and hardly ever use it, except on my feet (in sandals, the tops of the feet do burn) and the backs of my hands, as I prefer the barrier method. But I'm still paying for my childhood days in the summer sun. I sport a nice new scar on my calf from a visit with my dermatologist last month.
Ted

Rather than scotchgard try H2NO. This stuff waterproofs everything! AND it doesn't wash out like if you spray your shirt or shoes with it hahaha marvelous stuff! It says to soak material but truly I just spray my stuff till very damp.

I have a clam and really like it. Im 5'1 and its easy to put up and take down in a few minutes. I also purchased the additional full coverage side panels which velcros on and will add additional privacy..you can put up one or more side panels so lots of options there. As far as the mosquitos, I always cover up my skin with a mesh jacket/coverup. Im also going to purchase some of those UV sleeves Ive seen on Amazon/Ebay.
LilNomad

LilNomad said:
I have a clam and really like it. Im 5'1 and its easy to put up and take down in a few minutes. I also purchased the additional full coverage side panels which velcros on and will add additional privacy..you can put up one or more side panels so lots of options there. As far as the mosquitos, I always cover up my skin with a mesh jacket/coverup. Im also going to purchase some of those UV sleeves Ive seen on Amazon/Ebay.
LilNomad

I'm curious about the full coverage privacy panels, if you use a full set could you get away with sleeping in the clam now and then?  Is there enough privacy with the panels in place so you wouldn't feel like you're on display?

Latest posts