property caretaker position offered

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabama

Reaction score
Hi All!
My family needs some help.  Here's what we got:

CARETAKER PERSON/COUPLE NEEDED ASAP (animal lovers only please)
BANKS ALABAMA
AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY

WHAT WE HAVE TO OFFER:
• 30 Amp hook-up
• Water connection
• Peaceful country setting (property is 4+/- acres)
• Gardening area (organic only please)
• 30 minutes to town (Walmart, Publix, University, Doctors, etc.)
• 15 minutes to gas station and piggly wiggly
• 2.5-3 hours to beaches
• Laundry room access
• Free RV spot monthly rent

IN EXCHANGE WE ARE SEEKING:
• Lawn/garden maintenance
• Set trash out weekly
• Feed/care for cats
• Collect/forward mail
• Possible light housekeeping (tidying up) occasionally of main residence
• HOME MAINTENANCE/construction experience a plus but not necessary

We may occasionally have paid projects/gigs around the property (can negotiate terms) if interested or help us find contractors.

MUST BE OK WITH BACKGROUND CHECK AND CAMERA ON PROPERTY
NO AGGRESSIVE BREED DOGS PLEASE AND MUST BE CAT FRIENDLY
$150 PER MONTH COVERS ELECTRIC, WATER AND TRASH PICKUP
WIFI CURRENTLY ON PROPERTY UP CLOSE TO MAIN HOUSE

$300 SECURITY DEPOSIT

OWNERS TRAVELING BUT WILL BE BACK AND FORTH/IN AND OUT OCCASIONALLY
MUST HAVE OWN RV AND TRANSPORTATION
NEED RELIABLE, HONEST, GOOD WORK ETHIC AND A PERSONAL REFERENCE REQUIRED
POSSIBLE LONG-TERM SITUATION IF GOES WELL FOR BOTH OF US DURING TRIAL PERIOD

Welcome Alabama to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

so let me see if I understand this, you want the caretaker to pay 150 bucks a month plus a 300 buck deposit? so they are paying you for the privilege to provide you with this service? doesn't seem right. every caretaker job I have done or knew a person doing was a paying gig.

highdesertranger

You usually have to pay a caretaker. They don’t pay you.

Well since you asked I think I will too. Need someone to stay at my place and do all my chores. You have to pay me in addition $150 a month.

This does sound like a ripoff but for some people it would make sense. A retired person who is paying $750/mo. for an apt. in some noisy city and sitting around with nothing to do might go for it.

Or if one half of a couple commuted to the city for a well-paying job while the other did the caretaking, $150/mo. would be cheap rent.

The results of a poll would be interesting...

I am caretaking for family and there is no actual pay for it in my case, but many benefits are free to me like parking and access to showers, pool, water, and electricity.   -crofter

crofter said:
....many benefits are free to me like parking and access to showers, pool, water, and electricity.   -crofter

If there was a carport or garage and they allowed someone to do minor repair work on their vehicles, that would be valuable to me. I have a van, a VW and a motorcycle to maintain.

Seemed like a good deal for someone until the $150/month rent popped up.

Especially since the position description starts with:
WHAT WE HAVE TO OFFER:
• 30 Amp hook-up
• Water connection

Negative interest rates and now negative paychecks.

I like it.I enjoy a good joke as much as anyone.

That is not even close to being a good deal in my opinion. But no doubt someone will find it to be a solution to their problems. But they need to see videos of the property before they bite on the deal of doing yard work on a 4 acre property as well as seeing what kind of mechanical equipment is available to assist them in that property maintenance work. You could end up doing 40 hours of work a week if you are not careful to get everything exactly specified in writing and in photo documentation as well.

Well if Texas was chosen, a taker would miss out on those 90 degree with 90% humidity at 9pm evenings in July & August they have in the Southeast. :p

Dang it. You guys are talking people out of this deal. I’ve got 14 acres to mow and was really hoping someone would pay me to mow it. Needs mowed once or twice a week. Hilly, lots of baby trees to mow around. Come on.

Cammalu said:
I’ve got 14 acres to mow and was really hoping someone would pay me to mow it. Needs mowed once or twice a week. Hilly, lots of baby trees to mow around.  Come on.

If you get someone to take an upsidedown deal like that there's just one thing to say:

"It ain't right".

Cammalu said:
Dang it. You guys are talking people out of this deal. I’ve got 14 acres to mow and was really hoping someone would pay me to mow it. Needs mowed once or twice a week. Hilly, lots of baby trees to mow around.  Come on.
For a putting green close trim, think sheep. For easy care think cows but not yearlings.  If you don't plan to be home, use a grazing lease and have the lessee do your chores.
Charge the going rate in your area. When I did this I had several lesees to choose from, and the lessee paid the electric bill (for water pumping). - crofter

the person who posted this was a hit and run, post only once and done member. This is the only post they put up and they have not been back to the forum since they posted it.

They had my attention, until bait and switch that I would pay them for the privilege of Litter Box duty. I care take 1.5 acres and don't pay for the privilege. Half of it is woods, makes it easier. We help each other with every day things, and I do the heavy lifting. Damn, I'm in heaven. The owner, she is a great long time friend of 25 years.

Sounds like a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Latest posts