Propane tanks - buy own or exchange?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
After searching and looking at the forum listing, I'm not sure if this is in the right place or whether it's already been covered in another thread.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy new empty propane tanks at Home Depot or just buy the ones on the exchange rack outside the store. Blue Rhino or AmeriGas, etc.

I've stayed confused about this for a while because first I've mostly given it passive thought.  I've been doing other things. But now I think it's more so because I can't find one reason to buy a new empty tank although it seems like there should be one.

Here's what I've discovered / my reasoning: 

Whether you buy inside or outside on the exchange rack, you own the tank both ways. 

Either tank can be filled anywhere. 

The gas price seems very similar for both.

The only reason to buy a tank inside the store that's empty that I can determine is if you want a tank larger than 20 pounds and size; for example 30 pound, 40 pound, or a 100 pound.

Thoughts?

Tom

Tanks at the exchange racks are often short-filled. Like 17 pounds instead of 20. But you can have it topped off (and refilled) at propane places. But if you're going with a 20 lb tank instead of something larger or smaller, there's no real reason to buy new -- unless you just like new shiny things, or you're suspicious of used stuff.

You get MUCH better value owning your tank and finding the places that charge per pound/gallon, plus then no need to wait until you're almost empty, just top up whenever like your van's petrol tank.

Usually true for stationary home use as well, freedom to change vendors at whim, priceless.

My last 20-pound (~5 gal) fillup was under $8 at Tractor Supply.

I think the Autogas places may have different pricing, depends on tax issues that vary by state, but it's fine to do that if you get a friendly guy or a self-serve place, assuming you carry the valve adapters.

MrNoodly:
I've been told that it's a requirement now for everyone to short fill the 20-pound tanks to only 15 pounds for safety reasons. Is that not true?

John61CT:
I'm completely ignorant about the Autogas thing. Would you mind explaining that a little bit please?

Tom

John61CT said:
You get MUCH better value owning your tank and finding the places that charge per pound/gallon, plus then no need to wait until you're almost empty, just top up whenever like your van's petrol tank.
You can top off or refill any tank you might get from an exchange place. Or if you need propane and you're not near a by-the-gallon place, but you are near an exchange place, you can swap out your scabby, rusty exchange tank and not feel bad about letting go of a fairly new one.

What the others said. I just priced out two new 30lb RV propane tanks, and the tanks plus filling comes to $164. That purchase will be on the next paycheck with a new bike! (Each paycheck has $300ish dollars devoted to buying the new things I need for life on the road)

If you buy a new tank it won't have to be recertified for 12 years from the date stamped on it.
The exchange tanks are a crapshoot , you might even get one that is passed recert date.

I've seen a lot of exchange tanks that were not full at purchase, so...........do ya feel lucky?

I bought 2 new 20#ones at Lowes for $30 each+tx.

PS; If you go the big tank route for that Buddy be sure to get the filters to go with the hose.
There is also a hose with a regulator built in that doesn't need the filter (I have that).

Some gas places can make a hose with the regulator the right ends and exact length hose you want custom.

Well there is the issue of the Blue Rhino style TS2 valve............identified by a small recessed triangle on the brass valve...............to fill these a small magnet is needed to open the proprietary safety feature............my ACE hardware won't refill these citing Blue Rhino restrictions.......YMMV doug

Of course Central Florida is home to a huge Blue Rhino plant operated by Ferrell Gas that exploded and burnt in 2013............apparently poorly trained employees opened numerous small tank valves to vent unused propane gas and a forklift sparked the dramatic explosion and fire

Vagabound said:
I'm trying to decide whether to buy new empty propane tanks at Home Depot or just buy the ones on the exchange rack outside the store. Blue Rhino or AmeriGas, etc.

Thoughts?

Tom

Propane is always cheaper if you have your own tank filled.  As stated above, Blue Rhino used to use a proprietary valve, don't know if they still do.  Most, if not all, exchange tanks are filled to 15# propane.  Some (not all) refill stations will only fill to 15#; it is usually the ones that advertise a fixed price to fill.  The stations that display a price per gallon will usually fill to 20#.

Vagabound said:
MrNoodly:
I've been told that it's a requirement now for everyone to short fill the 20-pound tanks to only 15 pounds for safety reasons. Is that not true?

All tanks with the new valve have a dip tube (the DT stamped on the tank give the length the tube in the tank = 3 to 4 inches).  This tube was mandated so that the tank could not be filled too full.  20# tanks are make larger than 5 gallons to account for expansion (the WC stamped on the tank give the total volume of the tank in pounds of water, if you want to do the math yourself).  So they will hold 20# of propane safely (and legally).

If filled correctly the operator will open the dip tube valve and fill until the tank weighs 20# + tare weight + station fill valve weight (tare weight is the TW stamped on the tank), -or- the automatic shutoff closes off the tank valve -or- liquid propane comes out the dip tube, whichever happens first.

-- Spiff

So far, I own my several 20LB tanks, three I have bought, three I got via my late Father when he passed. Never run out somewhere I couldn't get it refilled. Never had to do a swap.
When I start doing longer boondocking, I may be forced to. Hope not.

Agreed with some of the above posters....

Amerigas and Blue Rhino both put 15# in a 20# tank. There was a brouhaha about it a few years ago when they dropped the amount of gas but kept the price the same. Every independent refill place I've gone to has put 20# in.

The one thing that makes Blue Rhino worthwhile is that they will take an expired tank as a swap. That fact has allowed me to get my expired tanks up to date so I can get them fully filled at other stations.

Also... most gas station attendants just don't bother checking the date. As long as it's new enough to have an OPD (and if it doesn't, you probably really shouldn't be using that tank.) I've only been turned away from refilling once because my tank was expired (I then traded it to Blue Rhino.)

rvpopeye said:

PS; If you go the big tank route for that Buddy be sure to get the filters to go with the hose.
There is also a hose with a regulator built in that doesn't need the filter (I have that).

Considering that the Buddy Heater has its own regulator, why would you want to hose with a regulator built into it?

Tom

Good point Bud but any time someone does this be sure to check the expired date before you pay for it,,,,LOL.

Was told by My local propane dealer that Blue Rino was sued for the proprietary valve, Now any one can fill a tank regardless of the name on it. Although, the exchange bottles are a good way to get a "new" bottle if needed from time to time.
Exchange bottles are only filled to 15# or so at the same price as a 20#.
Any thing less than a 100# has to have the New OPD valve installed to be refillable. The old style valve will flow around 150K btu, while the OPD will flow around 75K btu. IIRC!

The hose w/reg I have has the quick connect and doesn't go through another reg because of that but I mentioned it in case someone didn't have the option.

Based on some checking today, I would like to share some calculations with you. Please do me the favor of double checking them to see if I made any mistakes in math or logic. If I have, please point them out.

----------

Facts used in calculations:

* Tank type is 20 lbs. 

* $3 - Local price per gallon of propane (I've checked, it's a good round price; YMMV)

* 4.2 lbs. per gallon of propane

* 4.7 gallons - Amount of propane a 20-pound tank will hold if full

* The local Home Depot's tanks are only filled to 75% (AmeriGas)

* $21.49 - Local price of 20 lbs. tank at Home Depot (AmeriGas) IF a tank was provided in exchange

* $51.88 - Local price of 20 lbs. tank at Home Depot IF no tank was exchanged

----------

Scenario 1:
Filling your own tank, gas price only

* $14.10 - full tank (4.7 gallons at $3 per gallon)

-----------

Scenario 2:
Buying a tank with gas at Home Depot, with exchange, gas price only

* $21.49  - 3.57 gallons (75% full)

* $6.02 - Price per gallon ($21.49 / 3.57)

----------

Conclusion:

At an exchange point like Home Depot, on a per-tank basis, you pay more money for less gas overall.  On a per-gallon basis, the gas at Home Depot is twice as expensive as going to get your own tank filled.

Is that correct?

Tom

At the Home Depot in Yuma, an AmeriGas exchange tank, probably with only 15# of propane in it, is $19.97. An exchange tank, but with no exchange, is $48.22, also with 15# of propane. An new, empty Bernzomatic 20# tank is $29.97. Propane in the area is currently $1.99/gal., so 20# (5 gal.) would be $9.95. New tank plus propane = $39.92. So, yes, it's cheaper to start and cheaper throughout the life of the tank to go with a new, virgin tank and keep refilling it. But is the price difference enough to worry about? Is getting a lower price per gallon and a full refill worth it on those occasions when a tank exchange is handy but a refill place is several miles away? Or closed? How much gasoline and time do you want to burn to save on propane? Some people, yes, every dollar counts a lot. Others, not so much. If I can get an underfilled exchange tank when I get my groceries instead of going down the road and waiting in line behind the RVs, I'll bite one bullet in order to avoid the hassle.

MrNoodly said:
At the Home Depot in Yuma, an AmeriGas exchange tank, probably with only 15# of propane in it, is $19.97. An exchange tank, but with no exchange, is $48.22, also with 15# of propane. An new, empty Bernzomatic 20# tank is $29.97. Propane in the area is currently $1.99/gal., ...

Your Home Depot prices and mine are the same. You just listed yours without tax. Your propane per gallon price is a lot cheaper than here. That's good to know. You also made some good points about why paying more for the gas might be worthwhile. 

I'm glad I went through all those calculations because now I understand what is what, and if I want the convenience, I'll know in advance that it'll cost me double per gallon of gas to get it.

Thanks,

Tom

I go back to the original question. I have a stable of ten 20 pound bottles. I found them out for trash, left behind, and other ways free to be. I check the test dates and exchange them if expired. I check the date and condition of the exchange bottle I receive. I'm typical pain in the ass and usually get my way. Then when empty, I fill the bottles at a propane dealer, not the local Sunoco station. Current price here is $0.85 per pound, and bottle is filled to 20 pounds. When the date is up, I find an exchange and get 15 pounds for about $20. But that includes a certified bottle. I carry one bottle when on the road.