Propane Tank Refills

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Reaction score
I have had my 40 lb Propane filled many times and it takes around 9 gals to fill. The last 2 times I had to take it to U-Haul to get it refilled. I won't be using them any more. They fill by weight, I tell them the weight is 93 lbs for a full bottle. They will not use the fill valve on the bottle to fill it. They want to use the scale to fill it, and both time they have only put 5 gals in the bottle. The first time I told them how much it will take to fill it, and the attendant set the scale for 55 lbs, this time he set it for 80 lbs. I got home and weighted the bottle it only weights 69 lbs.

I will have to find somebody else to fill it next time.

A Google search said.... A 40 lb propane tank holds 9.4 gallons of propane and weighs 72 lbs full.

Another site says.... 70 lbs. for a full 40 lb. size propane tank, 29lbs. if empty.

The weight on my bottle Says 83 lbs when full I just went out and checked. There scale is at least 10 lbs off, and the attendant shut it off when the arm just barely bounced, he still had the hose connected so he was weighing the hose as well.

The bottle has a 80% fill valve on it and they won't use it.

Last edited:
I get my refills (including my 40 pounder) at the local co op. Little more expensive than TSC but they fill to the max with no problems. I always tip the old guy who works the propane point. He's been working there since the 60's. Perhaps you could find the Ag co ops in your roaming area. They usually have better service.

Cheers!

A few years ago a local gas station/convience store put 27 gallons in my 100 lb (25 gallon) tank. Should have looked at the receipt before taking it home and setting it on the sunny patio. A couple hours later there was a very loud PSSSSSSS noise as the over pressure valve popped off. Good thing there was no open flame nearby.

That's why there is a valve on the bottle so they know when to stop filling the bottle.

I was going to Flying J where I can use my Good Sam card, but there propane pump is not working. I think I found a Love's close by where I can fill it.

I have had my 40 lb Propane filled many times and it takes around 9 gals to fill. The last 2 times I had to take it to U-Haul to get it refilled. I won't be using them any more. They fill by weight, I tell them the weight is 93 lbs for a full bottle. They will not use the fill valve on the bottle to fill it. They want to use the scale to fill it, and both time they have only put 5 gals in the bottle. The first time I told them how much it will take to fill it, and the attendant set the scale for 55 lbs, this time he set it for 80 lbs. I got home and weighted the bottle it only weights 69 lbs.

I've been using a Chevron lately to fill my 100 pounders (25 gallon). The kid there always fills them until the lpg spews out the bleeder. Before you ask, I pay $2.99 per gallon there.
I haul them one at a time in my Subaru wagon.

One gallon of propane weighs about 4.2 lbs.
So a 40 lb bottle should hold 40/4.2 = 9.5 gallons. If the tank empty weighs 29lbs as posted earlier, the total weight should be 69lb, (40 + 29)..

At 93 lbs, you would either have to add 15.2 gallons to a 29lb empty tank, or the tank empty would need to weigh 93 - 40 or 53lbs.
15.2 gallons of propane would make it a 15.2 x 4.2 = 64 lb tank.

Your tank may be heavier than standard. The empty weight should be stamped into the top of the bottle.call their attention to it.

Last edited:
When I get it filled and they use the fill valve it holds 9 gals, when they just weight it it holds 5 gal. that's a big difference.

I won't be using U-Haul anymore.

I have 2 20 lbs tanks, and when they are filled the person filling them has always opened up the bleed screw to release the air pressure left over in the tank, and leave it open during filling until they think all the air has been replaced with LP and it starts releasing LP gas noted by the cloud coming from the tank. they have always been full after the refill. opening the bleed screw is a filling procedure for all tanks as far as I know

Yep every time I have had filled they have used the screw, except for U-Haul. The first time I had them fill the tank he set the scale to 55 lbs and added 5 gals, called it full, the last time he set the scale to 80 and and added 5 gals. Either the scaled is off or their meter is off. When I weighted the full tank I got 69 lbs.

The problem here is U-Haul doesn't have a clue on how full my tank is. They are just guessing at it.

I think I have found somebody else to fill them.

Last edited:
I went back out and looked again and the Full weight is 93 lbs, I had misread it. I thought it was 83 lbs. I plan to write the weight on the side of there tank before I refill it.

LOVE's Truck Stops does a great job on Propane sales......

Where was the U-Haul in the original post?

In Yuma the U-Haul meters by the gallon and use the overflow valve. U-Haul Propane, 1402 S 3rd Ave, Yuma, AZ 85364

In Pahrump the Horizon Markets meter by the gallon and use the overflow valve.

here in NC at the,or one of the local, Costco fills LP on a set scale on a system provided by the wholesaler.. It's all automated all they do is hook the hose up and turn on.. some bleed the gas (not air) and some don't. when i get the ticket the amount of gas to fill a 30 lbs can be 6.3 to 6.8 depending on outside temps at time of filling. (empty they need 7.3 gallons.) but i pay by the gallon so not a big deal..