propane tank locations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deano

Reaction score
<P>I don't want to hijack this thread, but I was wondering where people who convert their vans are keeping their 20# tanks when adding this type of portable heater?&nbsp; (If you have a class B I figure the mfr probably built some type of enclosure)&nbsp; </P>

<font class="Apple-style-span" face="Verdana"><b>deano, i thought this was a good question that deserved it's own thread! this has not been an issue for me, because i use my Mr. buddy so rarely, that i've used the 1# bottles. i'm interested in replies, though, for future reference! thanks!</b></font>

Hey Deano and Kate, this came up on the vandwellers construction forum yesterday. I have seen some people put the tanks straight in their van, but I am in the group that thinks that is a big no -no. Most travel trailers either have them mounted outside ( on the tounge, like mine) or in an enclosed compartment with a door to replace the tank, usually on the outside skin. Home depot sells a steel 16"x16" door with a lock mechanism in their Sheetrock department ( used to access pipes, valves, wires, etc.) for about $40. You could use this if you cut a hole in the outside skin of your van and built a box on the inside. The big thing to remember is that propane is heavier than air, that is, if it escapes, it will build up and "creep" along the ground, so a vent MUST be included down low, not up high like a fridge vent ( fridges expel warm air, which rises) . A propane detector
or " sniffer " might not be a bad idea either.
Les

Okay, first let me say that everyone universally says putting a bulk tank inside the van is unsafe. Having said that, I have kept mine inside the van/camper with me for over nine years with never a problem. Mine is 3 feet away from me under my cookstove right now. Tanks are well made and aren't just suddenly going to start leaking and explode.&nbsp; The hoses, which do run through the RV or van are much more likely to wear out and start leaking. In fact I had a hose that I owned for about 10 years start to leak around the crimp. But every RV has hoses runing through it. The risk is that if there is an accident the tank could go flying and hit the valve breaking it off which would be catastrprohic. So I have always secured mine so that no matter what happened they could not go flying and they would be safe. <br><br>Again, this is generally considered to be unsafe so I am not recommending you do it. But I have in the past and will continue to do so. Bob<br><br>

Okay, first let me say that everyone universally says putting a bulk tank inside the van is unsafe. Having said that, I have kept mine inside the van/camper with me for over nine years with never a problem. Mine is 3 feet away from me under my cookstove right now. Tanks are well made and aren't just suddenly going to start leaking and explode.&nbsp; The hoses, which do run through the RV or van are much more likely to wear out and start leaking. In fact I had a hose that I owned for about 10 years start to leak around the crimp. But every RV has hoses runing through it. The risk is that if there is an accident the tank could go flying and hit the valve breaking it off which would be catastrprohic. So I have always secured mine so that no matter what happened they could not go flying and they would be safe. <br><br>Again, this is generally considered to be unsafe so I am not recommending you do it. But I have in the past and will continue to do so. Bob<br><br>

Both Les and Bob are right.&nbsp; The main concern is to make sure the tank cannot move.&nbsp; Strap it down and don't sweat the small stuff <br>

&nbsp; I have three 20 lb bbq bottles which I use to run my buddy heater. One stays inside the van all the time (secured), the other two ride on the hitch rack (secured). Every time a bottle is swapped out I spray all connections down with soapy water and inspect with a bright light. Of coarse I also always sniff around and never leave anything lit when I'm away. I could drill a hole in the back and run the hose through and have all three bottles outside all the time, but I'd still have more connections inside the van than out and chipping ice and snow off a valve to change a tank doesnt sound like any fun.&nbsp;

<P>I was thinking of building an airtight box (kind of like what some people build for the leadacid batteries) for the propane tank.&nbsp; I would vent it out the bottom of the van.&nbsp; (I want to keep all vents, connections, etc as hidden as possible.)&nbsp; A propane sniffer in the box, just in casae as well.</P>

I also carry my 20# tank inside the van. The one thing I do is put a regulator right on the tank then any hose I have inside the van only has 10 lbs pressure instead of full tank pressure. I carry my tank in the passanger floorboard as I no longer have a seat in that position. there is now a drawer system there now and my tank is attached there.<br><br>David Hair<br>

By all means hide the tank inside, in a vented box, with a drain at the bottom.&nbsp; Propane is heavier than air, and will vent out the bottom like water.&nbsp; Do not have a anti-siphon loop in your drain...take the straight down.<br>

Actually, I think I'd prefer a long propane tank underneath...much more expensive though.&nbsp; <br>

<span id="post_message_1269789872">"Actually, I think I'd prefer a long propane tank underneath...much more expensive though."<br>&nbsp;Hmm. I wonder if you could mount a couple of 20lb tanks underneath...<br><br>&nbsp;I have a 20lb tank inside as well but I wanted to point out an experience I had with that once. I'd just filled up a tank and put it in the van and it got really hot in there as it was summertime. That caused the propane to expand in the full tank and the pressure relief valve let go and put a good bit of gas in the van.<br>&nbsp;So if you put a full tank in there in the summer be SURE you have it enclosed with a drain hole through your floor. <br></span>