Propane stove - looking for recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one has mentioned Butterfly kerosene stoves. Most people have never heard of them, but they are sold all over the world, mostly in Third World countries, where electricity is unavailable or not reliable. They are sturdy and reliable. I've known a whole two people who had them in the last 25 years, and they loved them. Both were heavily into canning.

They are for use outdoors, as anyone who is familiar with kerosene already knows. They may not be as prettily finished as you're used to, but they're sturdy. One of the ladies I mentioned above called hers "a real workhorse".

The single U.S. distributor is St. Paul Mercantile. stpaulmercantile.com

I will be buying one when I finally get moving, the 22-wick 14,000 BTU canning stove ($80). They also sell a sturdy, non-folding oven, with a tempered glass window and a temperature gauge. It comes unassembled, and the price is $75. I don't see shipping cost, but I'm sure there is one.

the problem with kero is the availability of fuel. Propane is much easier to find especially in the sticks. Highdesertranger

That butterfly oven looks very intriguing. I would love to have an oven but not enough space for the camp chef or whatever ~$300 ovens. I looked on YouTube and people use them with all sorts of heating sources. There was even a video using one on coal.

I don't like that the bottom is completely open, but it's a neat idea.

take a look a[size=small]t [size=small]the Omnia Oven. Haven'[size=small]t [size=small]tes[size=small]ted one myself ye[size=small]t, bu[size=small]t I sure in[size=small]tend [size=small]to. Size and price are righ[size=small]t.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

The Partner single burner arrived a couple of days ago. It is a very solid and well built unit as you would expect at this price point. Heavy duty but relatively light because it's mostly aluminum.

Anyway, I got a small bottle adaptor for it so I have some flexibility. I tested it briefly but have not cooked anything on it yet. Flame control was simple and seemed precise. No piezo, so you have to light it which is no big deal. Will make some coffee with it this weekend and give it a quick water boil test. But it certainly does look like an outstanding piece of kit.

Ramblin McPete said:
The Partner single burner arrived a couple of days ago. It is a very solid and well built unit as you would expect at this price point. Heavy duty but relatively light because it's mostly aluminum.
WOW! Those things are built like a brick outhouse! If I had 400 bucks for a stove I'd totally buy the small 2 burner. It can be taken apart and used as 2 separate stoves. Excelsior.

I thought about the two burner one, but I already have a small Martin stove, the kind that sits on top of a green bottle. So I have that for a quick hot drink or small second propane burner option. I also have a small Solo stove for solid fuel route too, and a Kelly Kettle as well. And a folding fire grate... Lots of ways to make a meal or heat water. :)

Righteous. Having lots of heating options is always a good thing.

I have given VERY serious consideration to a Biolite stove for solid fuel. If you're unfamiliar they use a thermocouple to charge a USB device while the fire is burning AND runs a fan that stokes the flame while burning like 90% of the material. Less smoke. Safer say some.

They're pricey BUT I have to appreciate their business model. Their annual taxes are paid in full basically by donating their product to impoverished nations for free.

I have one, it's perfect for off grid use and it boils up coffee water quick. Highly recommend. It was $49 bucks at Lowes back in 2015.

Cheers!

Just picked up the campchef 2 burner with oven. Its fairly compact and not difficult to move around.
I will be using it inside tho it calls for outdoor use... Monoxide schmonoxide... JK.. I've fully considered the potential hazards of operating a propane device and mitigation of the ill effects.
I'll build it in so I can still easily remove and set it outside when the weather allows.
Did the burn off today.. Oven past 500 and the appliance while not cool to the touch.. it wasn't overly hot on the exterior..so I am not so concerned now about heavy duty heat shielding...not to the extent of some YouTube installation builds...it's not going to ignite the cabinets from heat alone.

I'll have to use it a bit to see how it actually performs but am hopeful.

It definitely put some good warmth in the van running. A good emergency source of heat

I definitely feel good about giving up a small amount of storage space to have fresh cookies and cakes and pizzaaa..

^^^

DS,

is yours the newer version with temperature control? I have the older version where you SWAG it. Don't rely on the external temp gauge they provide though. Strongly recommend you get an in oven gauge for a better handle on the actual temp. Aside from that it's a great little oven - especially hooked up to a 20 pd bottle.

Cheers!

How long do the camp chef ovens last on a bottle? I assume they accept green bottles and bulk?

Say using the oven to bake bread fries etc with every meal and the 2 burners for burgers whatever for 2-3 people?

Like how many uses would you expect? Just a ballpark. I know when I had an ozark trail 2 burner without oven I usually cooked just for 1 with usually just 1 burner. I got probably 5 months on a 20lb but it wasn't my daily per se. I also used my smoker/grill/oven on charcoal wood or a propane burner from an old hibachi grill.

Using mine in 30 -45 min increments such as baking bread @ 400F for ~30-35 min and using a green bottle lasts for ~ 8-9 usage cycles - quite a bit for one pound of gas. I rarely use the top burners. I also usually connect it to a 20 pd bottle and it will last for months of intermittent use (I often use it on my deck to avoid heating the house during the miasmic inferno we call summer here).

Cheers!

Groovy thanks. I really want an oven. I like making pizza from scratch. Muffins and so on.

The newer versions have temperature control as opposed to adjusting the flame on mine. It's not hard to modulate if you're used to cooking with gas. However, I really recommend you don't rely on the external temp gauge - go buy an in oven gauge  from WM and put in back to get a better idea of the real temp. It's a little uneven in there. make sure you rotate anything you're baking to ensure golden brown delicious vs light and dark side of the moon.

Cheers1

The one I picked up is not the "professional" version... So I guess I'll have to learn to feel out the baking. A good idea to get a thermometer on the inside for a more accurate reading.

It was also suggested to me that I put a ceramic tile inside to even out the heat distribution.

I'll also be using a 20 pounder but it's great to have a few one pounders for moving the oven outside some place.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Proper ventilation is a relative term.
 - Proper ventilation for a propane flame is making sure there is enough oxygen to insure complete combustion.
 - Proper ventilation for a gas or diesel flame is making sure all combustion byproducts are exhausted (that is unless you don't mind breathing them in).
While I am not in any way concerned about operating a propane appliance inside a van (a la BW), there are a very few BOOM events and if one is well, paranoid about such things, I offer this so to help you justify your opinion:

3 injured as propane tank explodes in RV in Seattle

by KOMO News Staff
Monday, November 9th 2020

AA

https://komonews.com/news/local/gallery/3-injured-as-propane-tank-explodes-in-rv-in-seattle#photo-2[img=179x101]https://komonews.com/resources/medi...x9_seattle_rv_Fire_03.jpg?1604940768151[/img]
https://komonews.com/news/local/gallery/3-injured-as-propane-tank-explodes-in-rv-in-seattle#photo-2
SEATTLE -- Three people were injured when a propane tank exploded in an RV in Seattle Monday morning.
Dispatchers received multiple calls reporting explosions and flames around 7 a.m. inside an RV at 24th Ave SW and SW Myrtle Street, according to David Cuerpo with Seattle Fire.
"I heard loud popping sounds then I saw black smoke," said Rachel Jones who lives in a nearby apartment, adding there had been an accumulation of trash and items surrounding the RV.
Firefighters and medics arrived to find three people injured in the fire and they were rushed to Harborview Medical Center where a man and woman were listed in critical condition while the third victim, a man, was listed in serious condition, Cuerpo said. (End of 1st quoted article)

Now the question needs to be, "what exactly were they doing with said propane tank?"
Just because an rv'er uses propane to cook or heat with doesn't mean that you see these events daily in the city of your choice. As a matter of fact, it's extremely rare.

However, here's one from 2018 (I find about 1 a year on a Google search):

First responders warn of propane danger after campground explosion

by Anna Giles | Newschannel 3[/font][/color]
Monday, May 28th 2018

MARCELLUS, Mich. — A Memorial Day weekend vacation in West Michigan took a dangerous turn after a couple survived a propane explosion inside their camper and first responders warn of gas danger.
The camper exploded at Melville's Seven Lakes Family Camp Ground Sunday afternoon and neighbors jumped into action to help the couple caught in the fire.
"Smoke was coming out of the camper. we got them out. my husband Gary and some of the neighbors got together with hoses and was able to put the fire out as much as possible," Judy Willard, a member and grounds manager, said.

Judy and Gary Willard said a propane leak caused the couple's stove to blow up.
"They was inside fixing dinner on a propane stove," Judy said.
Gary said, "Apparently he had forgotten to hook something back up and that's how the gas escaped."

First responders remind people how dangerous the gas can be.
"When it finds that spark, that right fuel-to-air mixture, you can have a massive explosion quickly and unexpectedly," Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety Lt. Jason Hendrick said.
(End of 2nd quoted article)

But then, you stand a greater chance of getting run over as you cross the street so better' just stay in bed.  :s

Lol an observation I was late to make.

The campchef oven/ stove tells you to position the propane x number of feet away from the unit. Yet the 1 pound propane cannister is attached less than 2 inches from the unit...