Has Anyone Tried This Butane/Propane Stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuricTech

Reaction score
Amazon just included this stove in a "recommended for you" e-mail:

Camplux Dual Fuel Camping Stove (link should go to our host's Amazon page, so he'll get a little percentage if you use this link to buy it)

It looks to be a regular tabletop butane stove, but with the addition of a hose and propane regulator to allow the use of 1-pound propane canisters. 

The Amazon page states that it's rated at 7200 BTU, and it's priced at $31.99 for the black stove (for some reason, the blue version is priced at $32.99).

is your question about that particular stove or dual fuel stoves in general?

If the latter, I've been using a Gas One dual fuel for about a year and like it a lot. No mechanical problems.

I have what appears to be that exact stove but with a different name. Works great, very hot, but don't leave a propane bottle attached while not in use. The pressure regulator exploded, fortunately not while in use, which could have caused a big fire had there been an ignition source.

hugemoth said:
The pressure regulator exploded, fortunately not while in use, which could have caused a big fire had there been an ignition source.

That's enough reason to avoid that unit.....an exploding fireball in your van might ruin your entire day.

tx2sturgis said:
That's enough reason to avoid that unit.....

Unless you're like me and pack the stove away between uses, disconnecting the propane.

hugemoth said:
 . . . The pressure regulator exploded, fortunately not while in use, which could have caused a big fire had there been an ignition source.

MrNoodly said:
Unless you're like me and pack the stove away between uses, disconnecting the propane.

Unless it explodes (leaks, comes apart) while using it.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Unless it explodes (leaks, comes apart) while using it.
It's possible the manufacturer has improved the internals of the regulator but I'd be very careful.

so you give it a good rating after that happened? what would it take to give it a bad rating? where is the stove made China? highdesertranger

I do like the way the stove works except for the exploding pressure regulator. Lots of BTUs, good simmer, light weight, stable, quiet, pizo lights every time, easy to clean, holds large pans. Instructions say for outdoor use only. Probably made in China but I no longer pack it in my camper so it's not with me.

Thanks to all for your feedback on this type of stove!

Since MrNoodly favorably mentioned Gas One by name, I'll do a search for that brand. If I can't find it at a competitive price, I'll put the one to which I linked on my "to-buy" list. I like the stability and fine temperature control of butane tabletop stoves, along with the low cost* and light weight of their fuel canisters. Unfortunately, I often camp at elevations and/or low temperatures are marginal for butane, so having the flexibility to use propane is useful.

*I live near a military base, so there are several local Asian markets that sell butane canisters at a reasonable price.