Propane stove - looking for recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqueg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've decided i[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t[/font]'s [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t[/font]ime [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t[/font]o retire my Coleman single burner. I love the form factor, but I'm getting really tired of the [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]terrible[/font] temperature control. Even with the heat diffuser, i[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t can be [/font]really annoying. And [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]this seems [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]to be a problem wi[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]th all Coleman s[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]toves.[/font][/font][/font][/font]

I don't have a serious need for a two-burner stove, but when I started looking at reviews, the stove most often recommended was the Camp Chef Everest. Only problem is I can't find it for sale anywhere. Neither can I find the GSI Selkirk or the Primus Profile, which were also recommended. Supply chain issues? New models coming ou[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t[/font]? Who knows?

So then I started looking at [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t[/font]he GasOne. I have zero interest in the butane option, but I do really like the form factor. But several reviews on Amazon mention tha[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t[/font] the propane connection hose/regula[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]tor[/font] develops leaks, and recommend no[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t buying [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]the s[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]tove[/font][/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] for safe[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]ty reasons.[/font][/font][/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Jus[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t about any campstove can boil a quart of water within a reasonable amount of time. I'm more concerned abou[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]abili[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ty [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]to [/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]simmer[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]. [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]$150 is no[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]too much for me [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]to pay for a decen[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t s[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]tove[/font][/font], bu[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]t $300 is a s[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]tre[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]tch.[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

So I'm kinda stuck. Looking for some outside input. I'm sure you all have opinions!

I have an Ozark Trail (Walmart) brand two burner $30 folding camp stove.  It has been working well for me about 4 years.  I really like the low, flat, wide shape for excellent stability.  The two burners are convenient when cooking more than one thing at a time.

I often get yesterday's rotisserie chicken, refrigerated, price reduced.  After removing most of the meat from the bones I make broth by simmering the bones for an hour.  I find it easy to control the heat.  I regularly cook cauliflower by steaming over low heat.  Daily I eat a hard boiled egg. I cook them 6 at a time.  They come to a boil quickly, simmer 5 minutes, then sit in the hot water covered with a towel for 10 minutes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Propane-Fold-Up-2-Burner-Camp-Stove/54500726

I had previously been using a soda can alcohol stove.  Heat control and simmering are not a thing with those.

I have the lower end Coleman two burner. It is sensitive, but I’m able to get it to simmer. I’ve looked at upgrading, but have never found anything.

BBQ hoses connecting to the larger tank are a better quality than the Coleman product.

I have the Eureka Ignite. I got it for exactly that reason—good temperature control. I haven’t used it extensively yet but have been pleased so far.

Thanks, I was just looking at the Ignite. Looks like it is designed for 10-inch pans. How do you think a 12" skillet would work? I could buy the Plus, but two burners is already one more burner than I need.,..

jacqueg said:
Thanks, I was just looking at the Ignite. Looks like it is designed for 10-inch pans. How do you think a 12" skillet would work? 

I think 12” would be pushing it. Because of the built-in windscreens, there’s not much wiggle room. I have a 10” griddle, and that’s as big as I’d want to go.

I’ve had so many camp stoves over the years. When I moved into the nursing home I gave them all away. So when I started out again I bought a two burner Coleman the one without the lighter based on knowing that they work well even though you can’t control the temperature as well as others. I use it when I’m able to cook outside. They are almost indestructible. Inside I have a butane, gas one brand. Until this I had no experience with butane. I don’t think it’s the stove I think it’s the butane that makes it much Easier to control the flame and temperature. I’m mad at myself that I didn’t buy one that was dual fuel for about the same price so when I run out of butane I have a back up. Butane is definitely more expensive.

Second this. We've used a Camp Chef Stove/Oven combo since 2012. It's worked great. Big enough to bake pie, pizza, cookies and we even did a small turkey (12 pound IIRC)

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Oh, I would love to have a CampChef oven. But it's just too large for me to stuff into my already over-stuffed van!

Besides, it would only tempt me to make chocolate chip cookies too often...

Wow what I could do with that oven would make me a lot fatter. And a pizza did look good in it. I don’t have the space either. But I think that I saw a fold up oven that sits on top of the propane stove in one of Bob‘s videos. Am I thinking wrong? Anyone else remember that?

Pulled the trigger on a Eureka! Ignite Plus last night. Ordered it from REI, since I'm a long-time member. Supposed to be here in a week, will let you all know what I think of it. I'm thanking everyone who responded!

Alas, I'm sending it back. It doesn't really improve my cooking experience.

It's a very pretty blue, and it has windscreens.

First time I used it, the piezo worked on the right-hand burner. Hasn't worked since on either burner. So I'm back to lighting with a match. In itself, that's hardly a deal breaker, but I paid $145 for this stove, and I have to light it the same way I light my $40 Coleman. So no advantage over the Coleman there.

As advertised, you can turn it way down. But that doesn't help with even heat distribution, and my diced spuds are black on their exteriors long before the interiors are cooked. So I still have to use my flame diffuser. So no advantage over the Coleman there.

It does have 2 burners, which my Coleman doesn't. But I have used 2-burner Colemans before. I'm well-aware of what happens when you use the 2nd burner - the first burner takes a hit. this effect is more extreme on this stove than it is on the 2-burner Colemans. It would be cheaper to buy a second single-burner Coleman if I really needed 2 burners. But in fact, I usually don't - 2 burners is nice but not necessary. So, once again, no advantage over my single-burner Coleman.

Sigh.

Wish I could report different.

I think most of the campstoves I have looked at are kinda Chinesy a bit cheap down and dirty junkie, If I was looking for a new stove I would have a look in marine supply stores. A bit pricey but if you buy a good one you will never need another and it will hold it’s value.

I’m definitely not a cook and stay away from stoves as much as possible. Some of the best meals I have ever had have been cooked in large cast iron skillet on one of those heavy duty cast iron burners that are expressly used out doors hooked by a hose to a 20 lb tank. The distance from the burner is some what adjustable by the size of the skillet or pot, the flame is totally adjustable but a rather large diameter and the cast iron skillet holds the heat so long that simmer was no problem for my friend the master chief. I also noted a lot of time he boiled water and set the cooking vessel inside the pot with the boiling water to get lower temps and keep the different courses at the right temps. I sure miss camping and fishing with those guys. Maybe you could try one of those.

I just don't have enough room to carry one of those. Or I sure would. I've used that kind of unit before, and they're just like a real stove!

Not actively looking right now, but my next rig will be either a larger cargo van or a small skoolie/shuttle bus.

flying kurbmaster said:
I think most of the campstoves I have looked at are kinda Chinesy a bit cheap down and dirty junkie, If I was looking for a new stove I would have a look in marine supply stores. A bit pricey but if you buy a good one you will never need another and it will hold it’s value.
I'm coming around to that conclusion!

It may be that I'm just expecting too much from stoves designed for weekending and not serious long-term use.