propane single burner stoves as heaters?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
I believe that I have read about some vandwellers who use their propane single burner stoves as heaters. I think I recall that Bob Wells does this. Having the ability to turn down the flame seems like a great benefit as you can limit the heat output. When I move into my Connect I will only need a small amount of BTUs. Plus space will definitely be at a premium. If I  can use my stove as a heater I wouldn't have to use my Wave 3 and could save a bit of room that way. Naturally, I would have my roof vent open for oxygen. 

I guess my main concern is using the stove for heat as it wasn't intintended to be used that way.

Is it safe?

I used my single burner stove a couple of times because Buddy heaters shut off or won't even start when you're above 7,000 feet. Their low-oxygen sensors "think" the air in places like Flagstaff is dangerously low in oxygen, which is news to all the people living happily in the mountains. So, yeah, you can use a stove. It might create more moisture. There's an open flame to be mindful of, but that's true when just cooking. And if your vehicle is sealed up, you might have an actual low-oxygen situation with no over-cautious sensor to shut things down.

I wouldn't feel good about it at night sleeping. That said we used our stoves or the lantern to warm things up in the van, trailer and even tents. Things were pretty toasty by the time the coffee was done, breakfast would drive you right on out.

Thanks guys. I guess what I'm most worried about is the potential toxins released from the stove as the propane is being used.

With reflectix on the big windows, shiney side in, and good ventilation, it shouldn't be a problem.
Wonder if a clay pot on the stove filled with clean sand might provide some added thermal mass to provide better heating?

LeeRevell said:
With reflectix on the big windows, shiney side in, and good ventilation, it shouldn't be a problem.
Wonder if a clay pot on the stove filled with clean sand might provide some added thermal mass to provide better heating?

I like to fill up the dutch oven with about a gallon of water, put the lid on and then put it on the stove. Plenty of heat does not end up in the water so the van/tent/whatever small enclosed area warms up pretty well. When the water is about to boil I turn the stove off and fill a couple of quart nalgene bottles with some of the hot water. One goes under my clothing and the other heats up my bedding. The remaining half gallon stays in the dutch oven with the lid on giving off heat.
Very nice.

One Awesome Inch said:
Thanks guys. I guess what I'm most worried about is the potential toxins released from the stove as the propane is being used.

Both the EPA and the WHO consider propane a clean fuel, meaning that it is safe to have an open flame inside a inhabited space.  With the usual cautions about having enough fresh air ventilation to eliminate CO generation.

-- Spiff

When we had a truck camper we would warm it up at night with the stove, turn it off and set a kettle with water in it back on the stove. When I woke in the morning I would climb down, use the john and light the stove and climb back up in the bunk. By the time the kettle whistled it was so hot in the bunk I was more than ready to crawl out from under the covers and the water was ready to make tea or coffee.
Bob

in the pacific north west where you live I think you will eventually have an issue with too much moisture inside. It may be warm but it will be a damp warm which can feel cold after awhile. That said people use those buddy heaters so I guess that does not seem to bother a lot of people, they would be similar. My guess is that you will find that day after day of this in the winter in Vancouver you would build up moisture inside your van, your bedding, your clothes. My experience living on a sailboat in Vancouver once you got saturated with moisture inside it was hard to feel warm even if the thermometer read high. My leather clothes grew mold and the rest smelt boaty or mildewy. Don't take my word for it, try it you will soon know. My feeling about living in Vancouver in the winter would be to locate a source of electricity and have an electric ceramic heater to keep the moisture to minimal or a vented propane or diesel heater a source of dry heat.

Yep a pot of java and you can be toasty in a smaller rig. In the 25 ft it's more of a hand warmer.

I've been using my single burner Coleman stove as my only source of heat in both my van and trailer for about 6 years and it works extremely well for me. As I'm typing this it's burning as low as I can get it right now. Some thoughts:

1. Never run it at night while I'm sleeping.
  2. Never run it unless I am there to watch it.
  3. Never run it with the flame exposed. How do I do that? I bought a 3-piece splatter guard from Walmart 8 years ago. It wraps around the stove very well. It's cheap metal it just bends to match the curve of the stove. For a cover, I use heavy duty aluminum foil doubled back about 5 times and just bend it around the top of the splatter guard. Nothing can just fall on the flame. Also, it keeps the heat from just flying up to the roof and pooling up there. It does eventually but it's at the bottom for awhile. 
  4. You'd think it would get hot and I'd be burned accidentally touching it but has never been an issue.
  5. Moisture has never been a problem. I run it often on rainy days and never had moisture on the inside of the van. 
Coleman 1 burner: http://amzn.to/2i6uO3f
Splatter gaurd: http://amzn.to/2iqrgJL

Thanks guys. Much appreciated!

As to moisture in Vancouver, while others have had issues, it's never been a problem for me. Even running my Wave 3 all night. However, I grew up here in this humid area so maybe I'm just used to it.

I do want to run a heater all night so maybe the stove is not the best option. As mentioned I do run my Wave 3 every night of winter and like to wake up to warmth. Being that my Connect is what 24 square feet I need to find a heat solution that wont cook me out of my van.

Where you are and how much insulation you have will determine how much heat you need. North Dakota and Southern Arizona are different in the winter.

The Climate in which I live is mild so Perhaps I should avoid this thread, but here are some strategies I employ.

I have a 200 watt lasko heater. I can run this on my inverter,( ~18 amp load) but it is so ineffective in my lightly insulated van I only use it on battery power/ inverter, under my covers, knees tented, for 10 to 15 minutes to help warm the bed when i first crawl in, Naked.

If I would sleep in my clothes, or just take them off under the covers after warming the bed a bit, this would be unnecessary.

If I am plugged into the grid this 200 watt heater run continuously can perhaps keep the lightly insulated van 10F warmer than outside. But on battery power, 18 amp load is way too much for my battery capacity. Accounting for Peukert, I'd be below 50% in about 2 hours, if that were my only load, which is is not.

My roof vent has a 4 inch diameter aperture. When Cold I turn off the 120mm computer Fans, Pull the second fan down ( magnets) and install a napkin or 3 to act as a barrier to prevent hot air from easily escaping.

Sometimes I have forgotten to remove this napkin when making coffee with my Bialetti Moka pot in the morning on my propane stove, but as soon as it starts steaming I realize the roof vent is still covered as the steam collects a the roof.

Have I ever felt any degree of Co poisoning during these forgetful events? No. But I try and avoid them.

I have a 12vDC 45 watt heating pad designed for heating car seat bottoms.
https://www.amazon.com/ObboMed-SH-4...58674&sr=8-1&keywords=obbomed+12v+heating+pad

mostly I use this to heat my Shower bag, or when my lower back acts up, but it could be used undercovers or on my third chair to warm my body. It will cycle, and eventually get my 5 gallon shower bag to 100F . The ~ 4 amps it draws( wattage depends on voltage it receives) is not continuous, and AH consumption not really extreme when I lay on it under the covers.

I have never used my propane stove solely with the intention of heating my Van, but again, perhaps if I were in a colder climate I would.

This 12v 45 watt heating pad, heats my Shower bag fairly quickly when I layer my jackets or other clothes atop it. As long as I keep the shower nozzle above the shower bag it does not leak and is unlikely to. I have pulled it onto my lap or under the covers with me when I was cold and feverish and it was awesome.

On cold mornings, I find it best to pull my clothes under the covers with me to warm them up and then pull them on under the covers, then getting out of bed is not a shocker, but again this is only as low as say 35F and nobody has ever accused me of having s swimmers build, or being a cold weather wuss.

I had thought of using a coleman catalytic heaters and mounting it near my roof vent aimed downward. These heat by IR radiation, they do not directly heat the air, but searching for a link on Amazon, I no longer see them offered.

Excellent information! What I've learned in my 18 months of vandwelling is that experience is the best teacher but having others input is invaluable.

SternWake said:
I had thought of using a coleman catalytic heaters and mounting it near my roof vent aimed downward.  These heat by IR radiation, they do not directly heat the air, but searching for a link on Amazon, I no longer see them offered.

I don't know about catalytic, but most of the Mr. Heater line uses radiant heat. The Little Buddy heater may be large enough for a van. 
You can get used catalytic heaters pretty reasonable through Ebay, but most of the older ones have no safety device such as low Oxygen or tip over. I don't mind that because I have a window open and put it where it won't get knocked over. 

I am in Florida and its is very humid here, I use my stove with a smokeless stove top grill pan from amazon to keep flame from being exposed, works great, even sometimes fall asleep with it on with ventilation of course. never had a problem with too much moisture either.

My experience is, when I lived outside of Fargo, ND, it would hit sub-zero with great regularity. So I kept a single burner in my Chevy pickup, belted into the passenger seat so it wouldn't move or tip, for quick (or emergency) heat without having to wait for the engine to warm up. It was the kind you screw onto a 1 lb canister. I carried a spare canister or two at all times. I have a tiny catalytic also, but I liked the burner as it was instant heat and the cat took time to warm up and was a pain to light. One time I had the thermostat in the truck fail out in a blizzard in -10 and that little burner kept me warm on a trip to town, I was very glad to have it and say, 'yes, you can!' (with common sense, of course).

Is it a good idea to put a couple of bricks on top of a stove to retain the heat?