Propane fridge in strong winds?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanForNow

Reaction score
Last night I had an unusual experience with my propane fridge.

The evening temp was in the 50s-60s, and a 20+ mph wind was blowing on the left side of my rig, where the propane tank, controls, flame and vents are located. I noticed that my fridge's temp was rising under these conditions, so I turned up the propane flame to reduce the fridge temp. But the fridge temp increased until it reached room temperature, causing me to worry that my fridge was failing.

But the next morning, after the wind had died down, I checked the fridge again and the temp was once again functioning fine, keeping my food in the low 30s.

My question is: Is it common for a strong wind to harm the cooling capacity of a propane fridge? In hot weather, of course, a fridge struggles to keep up, but I have never before had a malfunction occurring during windy conditions with a moderate outside temperature.

I have never had a problem with mine in the wind. My fridge has a windshield on the burner that I have to remove (1 screw) to see the actual flame and to clean the burner (soot buildup on the burner). Unless the wind was blowing in that one direction that would cause the heat to not go up the chimney, I have no idea what the problem would be.

On occasion, wind will blow out the flame on my propane fridge and may not allow it to relight. Depends on the angle as well as the wind speed.

It was probably air pressure on the windward side of the rig, keeping the flame from burning or restricting the normal convection air flow across the condenser. Sometimes all that's needed is to just cycle the power switch and it relights. My Dometic has a "check" light that will come on if it detects an error, if it tries to start and doesn't light such as if the propane isn't primed in the lines.