Promising Thermoelectric generator for winter energy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fan similar to this one, http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-...an-UltrAir-Heat-powered-Wood-Stove-Fan-Nickel . it works surprising well. there is promise in the technology but it is still pretty expensive for the amount of power and if you are burning fuel just to make the power I don't think it makes since. however if you are doing it as a byproduct of heat you would make anyway then it's a winner. highdesertranger

I don't think 1.25 amps is enough to even mess with, especially at that price.

For the money you really can't beat charging your house battery while driving.

Thanks! I was looking at it as a way to harvest 'excess' heat from winter heating of a van, and also the fact that the fans would distribute the heat without using up battery power. The standalone fan does that for less cost. They have more powerful generators, but I wasn't sure that a van-sized heating unit would produce enough BTUs to run them!

http://www.tegmart.com/thermoelectr...-wood-burning-stove-thermoelectric-generator/

While I have to agree with Off Grid about charging the house battery while driving,  the idea of that
little generating device dhawktx posted n intriguing.    Particularly the idea of making small voltage
for recharging a Cell, Mp3, etc while using the fans to move the air in the Van. 

Somehow I wish Mr Heater (claims to be nearly 100% efficient) could be a hybrid of this idea. 
Even have a metal container for water to help humidify the air so it doesn't dry out.

well to use your alternator to recharge your house battery you need to drive everyday. that's not practical for someone parked for multiple days. I think it's a good idea to hook up to the alternator for when you do drive but to have it as your only choice it forces you to run a large motor every day which is not vey efficient. highdesertranger

eDJ_ said:
Somehow I wish Mr Heater (claims to be nearly 100% efficient) could be a hybrid of this idea.  Even have a metal container for water to help humidify the air so it doesn't dry out.

The Mr Heaters, along with any propane non-vented heater/stove will add a ton of moisture to the air, no extra humidity needed.

If I remember it right, 1# of propane = 1# of water when burned.

highdesertranger said:
I have a fan similar to this one,  http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-...an-UltrAir-Heat-powered-Wood-Stove-Fan-Nickel .  it works surprising well.  there is promise in the technology but it is still pretty expensive for the amount of power and if you are burning fuel just to make the power I don't think it makes since.  however if you are doing it as a byproduct of heat you would make anyway then it's a winner.   highdesertranger

I should pick me up another one of those.  I used to have one, but mine had like a 8" diameter base.  I think they might work on the stirling engine principle.

Mine sprouted legs a few years back.  Thanks for the reminder about them.

well if you want to get technical all combustion produces water vapor. no matter what fuel you use, propane, natural gas, gasoline, diesel, kerosene, a candle(paraffin), wood, whatever. they all produce water vapor as a byproduct. some more than others. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
well if you want to get technical all combustion produces water vapor. no matter what fuel you use, propane, natural gas, gasoline, diesel, kerosene, a candle(paraffin), wood, whatever. they all produce water vapor as a byproduct. some more than others. highdesertranger
If you want to get super technical, which I tend to do when someone says, "If you want to get technical," only fuel that contains hydrogen produces water upon combustion. Now all the fuels we commonly burn do contain hydrogen but pure carbon doesn't. Steel wool doesn't. Magnesium, aluminum, and iron oxide don't. [emoji6]

well Grant you are correct, and yes I was thinking of common fuels we burn. highdesertanger