problem with freecampsites.net site

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

routeforty

Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble seeing the street view map on freecampsites.net site?  The satellite view and the topo view work just fine, but when I click onto the street view I just get a blank screen instead of a map(like I used to get). The icons are there(free, pay, permit etc) but they are just on a blank screen. When I switch to satellite or topo the icons show the location of the campsite. Wondering if maybe the site is having problems or my computer(???) Gary

All of them - streets, satellite, and topo - are working fine for me. I'm using firefox. I noticed there have been some changes and upgrades on the site. Prehaps your problem has something to do with that?

routeforty said:
older laptop -Windows 7- I believe.  Maybe that;s my problem.
Just tried it on wife's computer (Windows 8.1) and have the same issue.  Maybe there's a program that needs updated ?????  Frustrating, but I guess in the scope of life-trivial(but still frustrating) :huh:

No problems here.

Standard operating procedures

Try closing the window and reopening it.

Clear your cookies and cache

Reboot your computer

Update your browsing software

The creators are always eager to better the website and welcome your input.
[email protected]

Weight-Internet Explorer.  Riverman-I know it's free-one of my favorites web pages. I'm not complaining, just wondering if anyone else had problems, or if the problem was on my end, and is there anyway I can fix it.  Cyndi-I noticed this several days ago. the computer has been turned off, cookies cleaned, history deleted. Don't know how to update a browser. I'm not extremely computer literate, and don't want to do something that I don't know how to reverse :dodgy: .  I may head down to the local library in the next couple days and see how it comes up on theirs.  It's not a real problem, I can use the satellite or topo if I have to, but when you get a little older you get more set in your ways and don't like change as much :D  Gary

Ok, I have box stock Windows 8 in a virtual machine. IE does crap out on the Street map view.
It's not you, it is Microsoft IE.
You could try installing Firefox.
Or installing a dual boot linux distribution. j/k. Not for the novice.
Check out Firefox.

Wayne49, you said some key words there "not for the novice" .  When one of the grandkids comes over I'll have them take a look at it.  Thanks, Gary

Stopped by the local library today and used their computer.  They had Windows 10. Had the same results as with mine. On street views, blank screen with only the icons visible.  They also had firefox available.  When I tried that, everything worked perfectly.  Looked like freecampsites had changed their map some.  I guess the updated map is incompatible with windows. So I guess I will try to figure how to install firefox along with windows.  I enjoy the freecampsites webpage too much to let a part of it disappear. Gary

Firefox will make it fairly easy to install and if you open a tab with Google and Google instructions for how to install Firefox. It's step by step and not that hard. This is from another person who is not very computer savvy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well that was about as clear as mud...
In the Google search box type: how to install Firefox? It will give you instructions. Open another window(tab) and download the program, switch back and forth between the instructions tab and the tab where you are doing the task of installing Firefox. Hopefully that helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gary,
[Edit] Don't bother, have your IT Dept (grandkids) install Firefox.
[Edit] The steps did nothing in my case.
[Edit] Hard to believe that no one else on the worldwide web is seeing the issue. Is Windows/IE/Edge not used by cheap campers?
[Edit] I would get involved, but I don't want to deal with having to prove to them that their site is broken.
[Edit] I have enough frustration dealing with financial firms whose web pages have issues with platforms, other than Windows, while claiming to support other platforms.

Did you contact the web site about the issue?
The fact you had the same result on a second PC with the latest greatest Windows, evah! means the issue is not just your Win 7 IE.

https://freecampsites.net/support/

There you will find a "possible" fix by clearing cache, etc. A reason for your grandkids to visit.

[While I don't think that this will fix it, you need to follow any steps before escalating the issue.]
Then the information you will need to supply to assist in diagnosing the issue.

-Wayne

Google has changed the rules on how other websites can use its mapping system. That is probably what is causing the issues.

skyl4rk said:
Google has changed the rules on how other websites can use its mapping system.  That is probably what is causing the issuesFigure
Figured out how to download Firefox. Now I get the maps. They sure aren't google maps, but they're maps. I guess I can't complain because of the price I'm paying for it. Anyway, thanks to everybody for the help.  :)   Gary

My only problem with this site is not technical. Not all campsites on it are even free. I have to sift through several of them to get to one that is free. Some are cheap though but stull defeats the purpose of the domain.

Sent from my RS500 using Tapatalk

JuliaAnne2018 said:
I have to sift through several of them to get to one that is free.
Yeah as RVW said, several icons at the top of the maps: Green=free, Red=pay, etc. Many of the freecampsites.net places are just pulloffs that someone stayed at for a night. I have also found this book to be my single best resource:
https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Americas-Guide-Low-Cost-Campgrounds/dp/0937877557

Also, look at the dozens of other threads on free camping in National Forests and BLM land. Many people just drive up some isolated road in one of those areas and camp there.