"prepping" full timing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arizonatruck

Reaction score
It seems hard enough to "prep" when you have a large house with cabinet space.  But I've found it even harder while in a vehicle.  I have a crew cab pickup, I can store stuff in there.

I store food, water and some pain meds just in case of emergency, i get stranded.  How do you store food while van dwelling?

Where ever it fits. Dry food and clean water.

There was some recent discussion on MRE meals related to this is you read the whole thread at:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-MRE-food

I ended up doing a blog post about the subject of living mobile and prepping that is, of course, just my humble opinion on the subject. I was going to copy and paste it in here, but I had forgotten how long that post was. So, if you care to read it, here is the link to that specific entry:

http://prepsandprecautions.blogspot.com/2015/04/mobile-lifestyles-preparedness-rvers.html

(My blog is in support of my post-apocalyptic novels...I'm not really paranoid about an end-of-the-world scenario. But researching for my books, I stored a lot of information. Also read a lot of other books and blogs that are rather contrary to my view of the world. LOL).

I forgot to mention that Bob has one or two older posts on his main blog about how he stores emergency supplies and feels it is a good money investment to do so. I can't remember the exact dates, but you should be able to find it with a search on the blog home page.

There are many aspects to "prepping", depending on your needs. Those of a mobile person are different than those of someone with realestate. A vandweller simply cannot carry as much. But mobility can be a boon.

Best preps for a mobile dweller are at least half a tank of gas, good maps, and an information source.

Going somewhere else is always in order.

Corky

one thing you got going for you is the ability to find back roads and trails to get you around obstacles both man made or natural that most people who might only travel interstates would be stuck on

Between my van and cargo trailer i have over 6 months of food at 1400 calories a day. I went with freeze-dried and calorie dense food. I also emphasized food that was easy to cook and eat on the move. For example pancakes can be cooked over a small woodstove with just a few twigs then stored in ziplocs and then eaten on the move. I also got a lot of orange drink (like tang but not) It's instantly ready to consume, has a fair number of calories and gives me a bunch of vitamin C which is essential to life.

Right now I am traveling on the van for this summer and have at least 2-3 months of food with me.
Bob

So much depends on what you prep for and what you plan to do.  There are point, area and worldwide events.  events that kill many and events that displace without killing many, but leave the social structure in disarray, with necessities hard to come by for various periods of time.

Simply having some food, water and being mobile will always put you ahead of the game.  Tools and knowledge of how to live on little/simply will stand you better stead than huge stockpiles, long-term.  

Likely the one prep most overlooked and underrated is the ability to clean water to a safe point to drink.

Corky

I divide such events into categories, depending on severity and length......
1. "Oh bother..." A couple days. Non life threatening.
2. "Danggit!" A week. Likely nonlife threatening if you have food & water.
3. "Oh Crap!" A Month. Major danger, guard yourself and family!
4. "RUN!" Several Months, and you need to relocate yesterday! Be ready to kill.
5. "We're all gonna die!" Place head between knees and KYAGB.

I try to keep at least 2 weeks worth of water & 30 days worth of food.

I just rotate the food, use the older stuff, stash the freshest.