Predator 2000 Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izifaddag

Reaction score
This was not what I wanted to purchase. I was after a Predator 3500 but they were all sold out for miles. I decided to settle on the 2000 and see what would happen.
The price was $500 plus tax and the cost of a years 'no questions asked' replacement warranty totaling $606. 
I used it solidly with no breaks for 2 weeks while I got a job and fixed the Honda (again). it is superb. Very quiet, quieter than the Honda 2000 I have. It is economical and easy to start. 
I only had one problem. The pullcord snapped off. I took it apart yesterday and was able to pull enough extra cord out to fix it. 
I know this is going to sound like heresy but to be honest I like this better than the Honda EU2000i that I have. Lots of reasons but the main one is that it is just as good if not better for half the price. A Honda is over a $1,000 with no fuel gauge. The Predator does burn a wee bit of oil. A very small amount and it has stopped the engine once for this. A quick top up and it runs again for another week. No problem. 
I know Honda is supposed to be the Rolls Royce but mine has given me plenty of trouble over the last year and a half and I am about done taking that carb apart. It is noisier and can't resist surging no matter what I do. The Predator is quieter and more reliable. 
I think it was $606 well spent. Maybe next time I can find a 3500 version with the electric start.

I have the 3500 and do make sure to do the oil changes! The first two were full of casting sand and a few metal machining flakes. Also make sure to use the Denso or NGK spark plug as some came with a low quality plug that gave problems. Use some spray cleaner to keep the spark arrestor from plugging up and causing the engine to be difficult to start. There are lots of how to videos on all this. I use a small amount of Stabile 360 while using modern gasoline. After 100 hours mine stopped oil usage and runs great the only problem I have had has been the starting battery if it sits for several days but it is easily started usually on the first pull. I now have around 600 hours on mine and it is still really quiet. I would definitely buy another as with a coupon and sale With 2 year warranty I believe I paid less than $600 a bout a year ago.

It lasted about a month and a half. Turned out to be a fussy piece of junk. Fortunately I was able to take it back and got a full refund. Turns out there is a reason that Honda cost so much.
My Honda I persevered with. I attacked the carb again and was very careful. That did the trick. Some seafoam through the fuel was the finishing touch. Now it runs smoothly. Also got my extended runtime fuel line working nicely - after a prolonged fight.
That extended runtime fuel line is a life saver. If you don't have one make one, you will love it.
The Honda doesn't need an oil change every 5 minutes, it runs on any gas I give it and the spark suppressor gives no trouble at all. I also cleaned the fuel filter in the fuel tank although it was in good shape. It didn't really need a clean but I was on a roll.
I have a steel shroud on the handle for theft prevention and yesterday I whipped it with paracord to stop some rattling. 15 years and running strong. Met a guy the other day that has just bought a 2200 watt Honda with bluetooth. Very nice generator.
For me, I have learned my lesson. I will buy a 2nd Honda - for reserve. I do not want to play roulette with a cheap Chinese knock off even though I must admit the price is very attractive incentive.

I agree Honda makes a great product and if I intended to use it year round for many years it would be my choice but I think I would want a propane powered one which last I checked was offered only by aftermarket companies and might affect the warranty. I bought a cheap Chinese 3500 watt Predator from Harbor Freight with a two year warranty for less than $600. Yes they are junk but so far with a little extra maintenance it has supplied quiet reliable power. I can buy at least 3 of these for the price of one of the smaller Hondas if needed over the next 6 years and still come out ahead money wise. For short term occasional use it has been an economical way to supplement my solar system which I plan to expand possibly in the next few years. Is it a pain, yes, but I can afford it for now and I am happy I had a cheap option to fill my needs. Instead of buying an expensive generator hopefully I will able to increase the solar system sooner.

Well I keep going up down and all around with this subject.
The Honda gave me yet more trouble and I ended up buying a new after market carb. It didn't work but I am not running to judge that carb. I think there is something else going on. I have experimented with the 2 carbs and swapped parts around. The end opinion is that the step motor isn't being driven.
However it is going to take a 2nd Honda generator in good working order to swap stuff round and isolate the problem. If the electronics running the motor are the problem I am not sure I want to spend the money.
Just about sick of gen problems.
I ended up - very reluctantly and with great trepidation - buying a Champion 2000 from Tractor Supply for $449 plus tax. That and a couple of bottles of oil gave me change out of $500. The performance has left me in shock.
I have had it 2 weeks now while I waited for the new carb to arrive. It is 75 watts greater running power than the Honda, quieter and way more fuel efficient. It starts very easily, doesn't clog the spark arrester and is happy with 87 fuel.
Still early days yet but so far I like it. l am seriously thinking about selling the Honda and buying a 2nd Champion 2000.
I think that if you are a serious generator user as I am then maybe it is worth buying another gen every 2 years or so as the cost of doing business. 2 years out of a gen at say $500 or $250 per year might be acceptable.
I love the Honda but that initial cost is a monster. They run out at easily $1200 with the tax and it can be difficult to find one sometimes. They sell out like crazy.
I think this Champion may be my new friend. At $449 it certainly isn't over priced and there are Tractor Supply stores everywhere. Another thing I was worried about is it being just a repackaged version of the HF Predator. That Predator is sold by many companies just with a different case. Wen sell one.
This is a completely different engine. I checked. So far so good. 2 thumbs up.

I've had several Champion inverter generators and not one problem ever.

With any generator it is important to change the oil out initially after just a few running hours to make sure the oil isn’t contaminated by any foreign materials that may have gotten in the crankcase during manufacturing or shipping especially ones coming from China. The Predator 3500 I bought still had a lot of particles on the first oil change which I did after a couple hours run time. It has been doing good except for a weak starting battery for two years now but I’ve only got a few hundred hours on it. Nice thing about Harbor Freight is it has an in store warranty you can purchase. They have already told me they don’t do repairs just bring in the unit empty of fluids and they will give me a new one in a box rather than switch out batteries. If I remember correctly it was less than $600 with the warranty on sale.

bullfrog said:
I have the 3500 and do make sure to do the oil changes! The first two were full of casting sand and a few metal machining flakes. Also make sure to use the Denso or NGK spark plug as some came with a low quality plug that gave problems. Use some spray cleaner to keep the spark arrestor from plugging up and causing the engine to be difficult to start. There are lots of how to videos on all this. I use a small amount of Stabile 360 while using modern gasoline. After 100 hours mine stopped oil usage and runs great the only problem I have had has been the starting battery if it sits for several days but it is easily started usually on the first pull. I now have around 600 hours on mine and it is still really quiet. I would definitely buy another as with a coupon and sale With 2 year warranty I believe I paid less than $600 a bout a year ago.
Same one I've got. Awfully neglected for a year, some show involved. How bad did I screw myself here?

I would drain the oil, in mine I squirt some brake clean in the crank case and drain it out by sitting the generator on an angle for a while till it quits dripping and drys out. Put fresh oil in, crank it without starting it, drain the oil and refill again with new. While it is tipped with no oil I drain the gas out. I squirt some Gumout Carburetor cleaner in the gas tank and drain it out. When I am ready to start it I squirt Gumout in the tank and fill with fresh gas. If it doesn’t start I squirt some in the carburetor. If it still doesn’t start I pull the spark plug and see if it is wet and see if it sparks. I would also check compression at this time. If you don’t have compression it won’t run and it’s time to take it back if you have a warranty. If spark plug isn’t wet and sparks and I have compression I squirt Gumout in the spark plug hole and quickly reinstall the spark plug and try to start it. If it runs and quits it most likely is a fuel problem. If it still doesn’t run it is most likely an ignition spark problem, which for me is usually an oil level sensor on uneven ground. Untreated unleaded gasoline is not recommended in these generators and can destroy a carburetor and one reason I like and get the warranty as I don’t like taking things apart much anymore, I would rather watch! Lol!!!

I've had very good luck with the one Champion Generator that I own, including customer service...due to neglect and improper storage, (my fault of course) it sat for quite awhile with deteriorating gas in the carb, ended up clogged and corroded....I called Champion and ordered a new carb way past the one year warranty, expecting to have to pay for it, credit card at the ready, and they sent me a new carb for free, no charge. 

I installed it and the genset runs perfectly now. 

This kind of customer service means I will recommend Champion, and I will certainly buy another when the time comes.

Good customer service is a wonderful thing. Not everybody can afford the initial price of buying high quality solutions, so being satisfied with lower quality is dependent on warranties and good customer service. Extra good maintenance will go a long way to saving money in the long run no matter what you purchase.

I just wanted to update this thread.
I have now had the Champion generator for 4 months. It has had a lot of use. It starts super easily and has proven completely reliable.
It tends to use a small amount of oil and now and again will turn itself off due to low oil because of that very fact. No big deal. 
The fuel economy is amazing. It will run for approximately 12 hours on 1 fill up. If I use it exclusively for the AC it is the same. It is far more economical than the Honda. It is also quieter than the Honda and a little lighter. Marginally smaller footprint in the back of the truck too. 
It uses 87 no problem and runs my AC great.
I am won over.
The only negative compared to a Honda is - I think - surges. So, for example, if I use it to run the entire system and am running the AC then the fridge kicks in it will overload. The Honda would not do that. It would complain, take the strain for that moment then go back to normal.
My solution to this, being as I have seriously beefed up my solar system, is to run the AC separately. So gen for the AC and the rest on solar. That works.
I am seriously considering buying a 2nd one and patching them together. That would give me power for everything on say a cloudy couple of days.
If you think about it that is way cheaper than a Honda 3000. $900 versus about $3,000. Also a lot easier to lift one 2000 than a 3000. 
However my solar is doing so well that all of this is becoming less and less of an issue.
Anybody want a Honda 2000 ??