Power Tools for a Conversion from Santa Claus

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikEXpat

Reaction score
Thank you all for so much help thus far. I'm learning soooooo much. Here is my next question...

All I wish for Christmas is the perfect set of power tools for a conversion. I wanna take them with me on the road so I can help others make cool stuff, too. Here we go:

Cordless or not?
I don't mind a cord if it means I'm going to get the job done faster with an extension. I have the ability to charge batteries using solar, so cordless or not might depend only on the strength/power of the machine. Does it make a difference?

I wanna cut metal...nibblers are ok, buuuut.....
I need to cut holes for vents, inlets/outlets, and maybe some crazy other stuff...but not too thick. Sheet metal.
I'm thinking of adding some small vent windows on the sides also. 

I need to weld stuff...like a man. ar ar. But not too thick. Sheet metal stuff and maybe the occasional axle. Badumb. This actually sounds really tough. I've only seen one video of someone taking out a spare tire and creating a storage area in its place. Think propane storage, undercarriage boxes, and high top stuff. 

I need to saw wood (saw, jig vs circular)

I need to make grooves for joinery (chisels or router). I don't prefer to use nails, screws, and brackets. Guess it's a Japan thing.

Drill...yeah. Hammer drill? dunno.

What else?

Budget? Seriously? CRVL. CHEAP!!!

Thanks in advance for helping me learn. I hope to return the favor to you all one day.

Mike

if you are buying for long term, to keep with you when you travel I would go with cordless. for a minimum most people recommend a jig saw and a drill/driver. tools are like crack, highly addictive. highdesertranger

I'd second the cordless tools, There are three items I use most, #1 the drill driver, #2 the circular saw and last but not least the reciprocating saw(saws all). With an extra battery on hand you can get a lot of work done with these and never need an extension cord :)

I love my 18 volt Dewalt cordless tools. I use them everyday professionally and while I've replaced a few batteries, I've not had any problems with the tools. I bought a basic set 8 or 9 years ago and have added a few tools since. Their 20 volt max line is also good, but more expensive. if you get a 4 or 5 piece set, then add their cutoff tool (looks like a 4'' grinder) you can do all the things you want, except weld. For lighter duty non professional use many have been happy with their Ryobi sets.

For welding, if it's only an emergency repair look into putting a kit together that will allow you to hook 3 batteries together and weld - see you tube. For regular welding you'll need a Ready welder or similar set up.

For hand tools, the basics - hammer, pliers (channel lock, needle nose, and linesman), wire strippers, multi head screw driver, tape measure, square, 1/2'' chisel and maybe a small hand saw for finer cuts.

Most everything, including the cordless tools, can be found in pawn shops or on Craig's List. But like HDR said, tools can be addictive, and it's always tempting to buy the specialty tools that will save time. But before you buy, stop and think about where you will put them when you're not using them, and also if the money spent is worth the time saved.

masterplumber said:
I love my 18 volt Dewalt cordless tools. I use them everyday professionally and while I've replaced a few batteries, I've not had any problems with the tools. I bought a basic set 8 or 9 years ago and have added a few tools since. Their 20 volt max line is also good, but more expensive. if you get a 4 or 5 piece set, then add their cutoff tool (looks like a 4'' grinder) you can do all the things you want, except weld. For lighter duty non professional use many have been happy with their Ryobi sets.

For welding, if it's only an emergency repair look into putting a kit together that will allow you to hook 3 batteries together and weld - see you tube. For regular welding you'll need a Ready welder or similar set up.

For hand tools, the basics - hammer, pliers (channel lock, needle nose, and linesman), wire strippers, multi head screw driver, tape measure, square, 1/2'' chisel and maybe a small hand saw for finer cuts.

Most everything, including the cordless tools, can be found in pawn shops or on Craig's List. But like HDR said, tools can be addictive, and it's always tempting to buy the specialty tools that will save time. But before you buy, stop and think about where you will put them when you're not using them, and also if the money spent is worth the time saved.

This advice came from a guy who has to drive a 1 ton truck just for his tools!   :p

He has to pull a trailer so he has a place to sleep!   :D

During RTR he spent half his time building, repairing, and creating things for other members.   :cool:

BTW I bought the Ryobi Kit about 10 years ago, it is a 18Volt system with Nicad packs. It came in a plastic case all self contained.
Had a flash light, drill motor, Skill Saw(circular saw), Reciprocating saw and a Right angle Drill motor.

Point is this kit is now over ten years old and other than replacing battery packs, it still works every bit as good as the day I bought them. I have used them a lot, although I can't say daily as a professional might. But they are damn tough tools.

mikEXpat said:
Cordless or not? Cordless

I wanna cut metal...Jig saw with good metal blades, and maybe a couple hole saws for the drill.

I need to weld stuff....small portable 110v (Hobart Handler has good build quallity) should do what you need up to 1/4 ". With the 1/4" though you need to have very nice layup, cleaned, beveled, good ground to get adequate penetration(Some people will even question if you should do 1/4' with 110v). Otherwise though has a good duty cycle. If you plan on building your own bumpers and bigger projects you probably want to go for a 220 v. But you need 220V service.
Buy a grinder, brush, clamps and chip hammer and.... 
Do you want to bring this on the road?

I need to saw wood ...jig saw is the most versatile for wood and metal.

I need to make grooves for joinery.... chisel is fine, add in a Kreg pocket jig. You end up with rabbit/dado, screwed and glued joint. It is a very strong combo in plywood. Sounds like you probably know though.

Drill...yeah. Hammer drill.....Regular drill would be fine.

What else? ....bailing wire and a sledge hammer :D

Have fun!

For the ultimate in portability and built in help..............
A notebook with the contact info of friends with tools !

if I was you I would buy cordless and suggest for your case, Ryobi. You could spend more money and buy Makita, Dewalt or Milwakee, don't consider any others ( I own Milwakee but I use them professionally,I have used all of them and they are all good) whatever brand you decide on, stick with it for all your tools, a jigsaw, circular saw and a drill should be all you need and could do everything you mentioned except weld and for all the welding you will be doing pay someone to do it properly, it takes practice to be a good welder. you can keep adding tools as you need them, a driver, a grinder, etc but for your initial build the three first tools will do everything you need to do. forget about no nails this requires practice and skills maybe as you go along but for your initial build, use screws, Ryobi also sell a battery operated bradnailer in fact they sell a few sizes of bradnailers this would be a handy tool for a build . It will come in handy to glue and bradnail all your framing as well as your panelling if you got one that shot 3/4 to 1 3/4 brads that would be ideal.

I don't knock Ryobi tools...I really don't believe I've ever seen a cordless Ryobi tool just crap out for good. I would say however, that the Ryobi batteries are at least a couple notches below what you get with the pricier kits. I've had some "legacy" Ryobi tools kicking around for many years and would keep a couple batteries for them charged...made great loaner tools or to let a coworker use.

But I've finally given up on them and given'em away due to the high price and short lifespan of the batteries. Its always been the case with Ryobi that you saved a fair bit of money waiting for a drill kit to go on sale for $80 and get 2 batteries, rather than buy the battery separate. With little use a Ryobi battery will usually perform well for its first year, but somewhere into year 2 it turns to junk...if not kept on a charger you can't count on it for much.

On the flip side, I have 20v Dewalt batteries that are into year 4 and while they aren't "good as new", they can take a charge and then sit in a bag for many weeks and do what's needed when called upon. Oh, and don't forget about Rigid, Home Depot's brand..solid line of tools with good warranty coverage, batteries on sale every Xmas...

And as far as cordless nailers goes, Ryobi seems to have hit a real winner...I know guys that have ditched their Dewalts in favor of the Ryobi guns. My Paslode's are on their last legs at 10+ yrs and I'm really torn as to what to replace them with...

I inherited a bunch of corded tools from my father, so I have little experience with cordless tools.  Let me ask for the record:  These 18 volt tools you guys are talking about can all be recharged from 12 volt systems, right?

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I inherited a bunch of corded tools from my father, so I have little experience with cordless tools.  Let me ask for the record:  These 18 volt tools you guys are talking about can all be recharged from 12 volt systems, right?

Regards
John

Only with an inverter, and some are sensitive enough to need a Pure Sine...

I use DeWalt 18v cordless. I charge my batteries off a MSW inverter. yes they make a car charger, it's on my wish list. one of the landlords at an apartment complex I work at gave me his Royobi to use because my Dewalt was in the truck. after about 5 minutes I was cussing and wanted to throw the p.o.s. in the trash. I walked out to my truck and got the Dewalt. I know some people here swear by Royobi, I swear at them. highdesertranger

BradKW said:
I don't knock Ryobi tools...I really don't believe I've ever seen a cordless Ryobi tool just crap out for good. I would say however, that the Ryobi batteries are at least a couple notches below what you get with the pricier kits. I've had some "legacy" Ryobi tools kicking around for many years and would keep a couple batteries for them charged...made great loaner tools or to let a coworker use.

But I've finally given up on them and given'em away due to the high price and short lifespan of the batteries. Its always been the case with Ryobi that you saved a fair bit of money waiting for a drill kit to go on sale for $80 and get 2 batteries, rather than buy the battery separate. With little use a Ryobi battery will usually perform well for its first year, but somewhere into year 2 it turns to junk...if not kept on a charger you can't count on it for much.

On the flip side, I have 20v Dewalt batteries that are into year 4 and while they aren't "good as new", they can take a charge and then sit in a bag for many weeks and do what's needed when called upon. Oh, and don't forget about Rigid, Home Depot's brand..solid line of tools with good warranty coverage, batteries on sale every Xmas...

And as far as cordless nailers goes, Ryobi seems to have hit a real winner...I know guys that have ditched their Dewalts in favor of the Ryobi guns. My Paslode's are on their last legs at 10+ yrs and I'm really torn as to what to replace them with...

you are right Rigid are a good brand and I have heard that from someone else about the Ryobi nailer

I have the 12 volt charger for my 18 volt Dewalt tools. It works great - about the same time to charge as the 110 volt charger. If I recall it is usually pricey. I bought mine at Christmas time a few years ago and it was packaged with a extended run batter for about $110 so that was a good deal if you can find it. I did look and it doesn't appear that Dewalt makes the 12 volt charger for their 20 volt max line, so that may be something to consider.

And in my defense I have a lot of plumbing and building supplies in my truck also, hence the need for a 1 ton to haul everything. But I do need to take my own advice when it comes to buying specialty tools.

Great advice everyone.

OK. So I think cordless drill/jig/circular with two batteries by either Ryobi or Dewalt is the way to go. I think the DIY dwellers I've heard from tend to use Ryobi more than Dewalt which could mean there is a slightly better chance we can share equipment on the road; and yes, I want to take everything with me even if my addiction leads me to buying a cargo trailer. My life's dream is to have a woodshop, why not have one on the road. :)

You guys also dropped some good names and terms for me to look up. I really appreciate it. I won't bother to ask more questions until I've done some Googling.

All the best,
Mike

I have the basic lithium Makita drill and impact driver, and bought a 400 watt  PSW inverter to power it from the van, as I had other cordless tool battery chargers smoke themselves on a MSW inverter,  Sears and an older 9.6v Makita from early 90's.

From what I understand, a drill is good for smaller screws in places where more control is needed and an impact driver is good for long screws in thick wood or tougher materials. I've always used only a drill. Do you think an impact driver is useful for conversion builds? Maybe it's good to have for mechanical repairs like rusted bolts or screws?

Sounds like PSW inverter is the way to go all around.

I bought a 12volt Makita drill back in the 90s and the last nicad battery just bit the dust !
Fortunately I had a plan for that when I saw it!
I made up a cord with battery clamps to wire it direct ...... It works great !

The newer battery tools have lithium ion batteries which hold their charge way better than the old nicads did . If you're buying new look for the lithiums!

I still have my Milwaukee circular saw , drill and screw shooter from back then too , all have 120volt cords though.