Power Tools for a Conversion from Santa Claus

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mikEXpat said:
From what I understand, a drill is good for smaller screws in places where more control is needed and an impact driver is good for long screws in thick wood or tougher materials. I've always used only a drill. Do you think an impact driver is useful for conversion builds? Maybe it's good to have for mechanical repairs like rusted bolts or screws?

Sounds like PSW inverter is the way to go all around.

That's essentially correct. The standard cordless drill/driver is more versatile and relies on the speed switch to change it from drill to driver. The better models will give you 3 speeds and the top speed will be a higher RPM than cheaper ones, making drilling easier especially into metals. I'd be surprised if you could still buy one that doesn't have a variable speed trigger. The clutch features on these drill/drivers vary a bit, but its really not something most people ever use anyway.

Impact drivers are great tools for putting in screws of any size. They are generally smaller and lighter than a drill/driver which is nice. They are also fine for even tiny screws because the impact feature is pressure sensitive...I was just assembling cabinet doors/hinges with one it doesn't engage the Impact feature when going into a pre-drilled hole. When no pilot hole, impact drivers are a wonderful improvement, regardless screw size. When driving self-tappers into metal, the impact feature isn't really desirable. Impact drivers don't make very good drills though...with hex-mounted drill bits it'll work in a pinch, but just not what they were designed to be best at.

PS: while it may seem gimmicky, the LED light feature on many drills is really a very handy thing. I think I'd be rather ticked if I got a new drill and discovered this wasn't a feature...

you could manage quite well in a build without an impact driver,, they are nice though, a lot of talk about the 18volt and 20 volt but Milwakee make a sweet 12 volt unit and recently Makita have come out with a line of tools that has the 12 volt, they are very ergonomic, small and nimble with plenty of power, I have never used the Makitas new 12 volt line but have used the Milwakee 12 volt drill and driver for a few years and they are very nice to handle

mikEXpat said:
 Do you think an impact driver is useful for conversion builds? Maybe it's good to have for mechanical repairs like rusted bolts or screws?

Not really.  The impact driver does spin considerably faster than my drill.  I have some wrist issues from using a drill for driving long screws for non van related work, when I should have had a impact driver.

Setting the clutch is not as good as the impact, and the impact needs the special quick release on drill bits/drivers whereas a drill can grab either.

The impact has a shorter head allowing one to get it in tighter places.  I tend to bust it out on things which need more speed or if the bit is bound to get stuck and try and damage my wrist further.  Stepped drill bits I prefer in the impact either in wood or metal.  Impacts are noisy, and when this is a consideration I use the drill, wrist be damned.

Are the tools you are asking about just for the conversion itself, when away from grid/AC power. or just for anything/job, just to have?

I had been wanting a PSW inverter, the Makita charger gave me a good excuse to get one, and now it is rare I use the 800watt MSW at all as it is less efficient and noisier. Actually it is rare I use either inverter. What surprised me was the makita charger listed 250 watts.  In reality the current can reach almost this much, but it is not continuous, cycling up that high and tapering to a 1/3 that about 3 times every 5 seconds.  A 6 to 23 amp load for upto 12 minutes as the makita claims 15 minute charge times with new batteries.

My most recent power tool purchase was a Ridgid Jig saw.  Small size and not a huge amp draw so it can run on my 400 watt PSW inverter.  Good control for precise cutting, better than other jigsaws I've owned whose blade likes to kink and cut on an angle not intended, no matter how careful.

I really like having the bucket head vaccuum cleaner/ mini shop vac.  So dang useful and compact.  I use it on a 3 gallon bucket instead of a 5.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-BH0100/202017218

Mine got taken apart and some fine tuning done.  One gasket was not very well installed allowing some suction to bypass the hose, and i removed the 'tip over' safety valve as i am not likely to be sucking up liquids with it, and I hate it when they tip over and one has to turn them off, and back on.  A good 22$ spent either way, and I can run it off of my 400 watt inverter too. Vaccumming the van interior is so much better than sweeping, or using a blower.  The buckethead can also be used as a blower.  Lowes sells a Shop vac brand  bucket head type vaccum which is more powerful for about the same price, but this would have been more than my 400 watt inverter could power, and it is a bit taller.

One other thing I absolutely love and wish i had bought sooner was a router speed control. 

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9400-Standard-Router-Control/dp/B001JHQ3G8

I use it on my angle grinder, belt sander, jigsaw, buckethead vaccuum, router, leaf blower, box fans.  not only for just slowing down the tool, but also to decrease noise and amp draw when those are considerations.  I've a little wood shop right now in a decrepit shed, butted up against a property line and I don't like making noise much after dark and the router speed controller allows me to use the belt sander or vacuum as slower speeds at night and much lower noise levels, allowing me to keep my night owl habits to some degree. 

Also it could allow me to use some higher tools on the inverter at slower speeds so as to not exceed the inverter rating as I only have 800 watts inverter max and do not plan on a high wattage.

Tools with a soft start feature might not work properly with a RSC.

I have a lot of the milwaukee 12 volt tools and they are surprisingly strong/heavy duty and I also have a lot of the 18 volt milwaukee. Milwaukee has been my favorite. In the past i've owned Rigid, my 2nd favorite and they have a lifetime warranty which is nice, and before that dewalt. I owned Ryobi about 12 years ago and the battery caught on fire in back of my truck, ever since been leery of them but probably no reason to be as many people own and love them hassle free. Corded or cordless, I'd say hands down cordless if living in your van. Just way more versatile. Having done lots of woodwork with out mechanical fasteners, I'd say it's not a practical way to do it for a van build. But to each their own if you really have your heart set on that style of joinery.

I have a bunch of 19.2 volt Craftsman hand tools.  They helped build several places.  I can charge them up on my old inverter without any problem.  

A new set of hand power tools would be nice, but not necessary.

Attachments

• jp photos 212.jpg
    jp photos 212.jpg
    1.5 MB