power Tools and Invertors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraz627

Reaction score
Hello all:
I currently live in my van,  and no shore power hook up where I will be working on it. I shortly will need power tools, grinder, Jig saw and Skill saw. I don't really want to invest in cordless products. Was planning on using HF tools. 
How feasible is it to run the tools (about  6 amps)  off of a 1500w invertor, hooked to the vehicle battery (with vehicle running).

Eventually I will need a generator but due to cost would like to wait. 
Thanks In Advance.

Some AC power tools use the sinewave aspect of AC power, when regulating the speed of the tool.

If the inverter is not a pure sinewave inverter, the speed regulation may not work properly, so for some AC power tools,  you might only get power on/of operation, where you are used to be able to have variable speed of your power tool.

The power tool will however not suffer any damage. And it will revert to be able to do 'normal' speed regulation, once it is again plugged into a pure/full sinewave outlet.

(For technical details, look at how a Triac does speed/power regulation, when used with AC power. Not all AC power tools will use a Triac for speed/power regulation, but most will).

There are several members on this forum that will loan their time and tools to help if you ask I believe. Hopefully Homes On Wheels will eventually have a home base they can provide those kind of services. Working a job that allows use of tools and power is also an option. A few parks and RV clubs have workshops that visitors or members can use like Escapees or Caballo Loco. With Quartzsite winter gatherings and the caravans if you are willing to attend things could happen if you just let people know what you need and when you plan to be there. Buying tools for one time use takes up a lot of space and costs way too much. A power source if it can be used for daily living after the build is a good idea and should be your first concern.

6 amps is 720 watts. The inverter could handle that. Also start using online conversions convenience. . All you have to do is enter into a search 6 amps at 120 volts and the watts will show in the results. Electrical conversions of amps to watts or amps to watts are so common you don't even have to go to an electrical website and use a conversion calculator to get the answer. But you do want to specify voltage(s) you are working with, that is a critical factor.

My main concern is that would I be able to power the invertor/tools just using the vehicle battery while at idle?

For about the same cost as that inverter, you could buy the Harbor Freight 2-cycle, 900w portable generator. It will power a 7 in circular saw, a jigsaw, a drill, belt sander, etc (not all at once obviously)... Mine will, anyway.

They ARE noisy...you would need to do the work in an area where noise will not be bothersome to others. A 50 foot extension cord will be handy, to keep it away from your own ears while working.

2-cycle gensets use a 40 (or 50) to one gas/oil mix, so there is that. On the other hand, you never have to change the crankcase oil, since there is none!

Down the road when I start boondocking I was planning on a 1350 watt HF generator, about 430.00, I currently Stealth, and use a small invertor which will not do much more than power my laptop. Would like to put off the generator till later, and go ahead and try using just an invertor to power tools.

Very few of the 120v circular sawaps will run off of that 700 watt Harbor Freight generator.

If your car will handle the task depends on the wire gauges of the connectors and also the strength of your alternator.

If you are going to do work on the road sell the 110v tools and reinvest the money into battery powered tools.

I run all of the things you are talking about on a 1250 watt MSW inverter with a 10 minute 2500 watt peak. It will easily run a circular saw that will knock out a Honda 2000. That’s not to say just any inverter will do it. I have had a 5000 Btu air conditioner trash a 3000 watt inverter after just one run.

My inverter is a Tripp-lite PV1250fc. It is a industrial inverter designed to handle starting motors. It cost near the same as a xantrex 2000 PSW ($329 vs $364) and with the 2500 watt usable peak it’s stronger too.

Should you decide to go the HF route, get the extended warranty.

Don’t waste your money on big inverters and generators, just make the plunge and go battery, I charge my 18 volt Milwaukee batteries on a 14.00 dollar inverter, that plugs Into the cigarette lighter, buy one of those kits that has 5 tools a couple batteries and add to it as you need, choose a reputable manufacturer you can afford and stick with the same brand. All you need for a build is a drill, driver, a skill saw and a jigsaw perhaps a grinder. That costs a lot less then a inverter and generator, stores easier and will be useful for many years to come. Don’t buy the argument that they are not powerful enough, go to any job site nowadays and see what the professionals are using.

I agree with flying kurbmaster. My hand tools like drills, saws, chipping hammers and such we’re on the bigger side of things. But if I used even smaller gauge cords and such it was very hard on the equipment. I understand smaller power saws and such might not have the draw I experienced. But I’d think some of the same principles might apply. Just because your getting a certain amount of volts at whatever amps. It could be a little taxing on your equipment... anything with a motor and such.
Battery powered equipment has really come a long ways... and as per recommended in previous posts, following their guidelines seems the way to go as far as sticking with one manufacturer and the best you can afford.

I'll second the $100 Harbor freight 2 stroke generator. (Old Yamaha clone). I've used one for years to power all kinds of power tools. It would even power my air compressor that my 1600 watt 4 stroke would not.

You can a pretty good kit from Ryobi for like $300 from Home Depot. There are other brands. Check the warranty for your use test. I believe they have a 12v charger too.

Running a generator or the car every time you want to run a tool sounds like a hassle. Think about the planning, measuring, cutting, building, drilling, replanning, remeasuring, ripping out and starting over, etc. Point is that you won't be using the power tools the entire time. You might go 30 min between using a tool for only 30 seconds. I'll have to agree with others. You should pick a battery/tool platform, buy 2 batteries, and whatever tools you need. Spending a little more will save you time and money in the long run. Many times you can buy used tools at yard sales and flea markets for next to nothing. I would not bother with used batteries though.

this is the cordless jigsaw I been using for years, I paid 30 dollars at harbor freight for it (including the battery) , I also have the 20 dollar drill (which also came with a battery).
Now I been moving to the dewalt 20 volt lithium batteries and using adapters to run on my tools, I got milwaukee m18, craftsman 19.2/20 volt, dewalt 20 volt. I buy whichever tool I can find cheap and just use the dewalt batteries on them (with the adapters), I even have a cordless ryobi hotglue gun(30 dollars) . Unless your building a house, cordless tools will get the job done.
The quality pure sine inverters are monsters, I have a small 150 watt pure sine that is 4 times the size of my 200 watt modified sine inverter. They take up too much space for the limited time I would ever use one.

cordless jigsaw.jpg

Attachments

• cordless jigsaw.jpg
    cordless jigsaw.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts