Potential remodel...'76 chev 24' class c...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krenov72

Reaction score
So after much searching, I may be starting a major remodel. I had planned to buy a used rv with everything intact, but needing updating. I have come across a gutted, dry chev class c with a 350 four bolt. The engine is strong. Roof is reasonable ( I will replace soon enough) . There is no holding tanks, toilet/sinks /stove or generator.. The shower is still there... At least the tub.
$800 Canadian. If i take it, I will put in new fresh and grey water , and go composting toilet.
It is driven regularly , is presently insured( hAsnt sat for years) .
I am a cabinet maker, and have some pretty cool stuff planned. If it checks out mechanically, I will probably take it.

if it's a solid unit and your a wood worker...,i like the plan,not much i like about stock rv interior to begin with
how long is it,what type of roof?

Metal roof.. 24'... Its down to the bare skins inside, and comes with rigid foam insulation and a roll of reflectix... It is preferable, actually.. I was looking at 3 to 5 thousand for a rig, and you never know. I can put in all new apliances, water tanks , solar etc, with built in ease of servicing access. I will probably start with the basics and see if it's worth sinking time and effort. Anything major I buy can be kept regardless.

Oh yeah. There is a fridge and microwave... It is wired for shore power , and had a generator, not included in the sale... There is a bed platform and laminate flooring at present. So it's actually usable for the basics to start as well... But shortly it will be re done haha.

As long as you know what you're getting into, and have the tools, skills, knowledge, and money to put into it, then it might be a good deal. Without ALL of those components, I would say no...

Haha. True. To be honest, I do know what I'm getting into. Rents where I live are incredibly high( Vancouver) and it will be a full time home. I prefer a bare shell so I can assess/fix any structural issues.. Insulate to my standards, run only the systems I need, and ensure easy access for maintenance and repairs. Used rigs are $25,000 for anything newish, and triple or more for new. So even if I spend 15 or 20 over a few years it's no big deal. I plan on spending 500 and socking away 250 a month for repairs.

I don't like to be Mr. Negativity, but I (personally) wouldn't do this with an old motorhome.

(to me), the wall skins are too thin & flimsy, and the wooden framework on the structure is nearly always rotten somewhere.

If you're gonna go with a undeveloped floorplan, and like doing it yourself anyways, then I'd be looking for a stepvan or a box truck.

They're built so significantly stronger, and will be built to last for many years to come.

plus, I just love driving a stepvan on a sunny day with the doors slid open!!
(why do you think the UPS man does it??) :D

A box truck was my initial plan... I have more research to do, but insurance is a lot cheaper on an rv ...box trucks are commercial apparently , and rv conversions are not the easiest thing to insure... I still have to look deeply into that.
Most likely if I buy this rv, I will probably outfit it with what I need and get a feel for what layout I really want. If it's a keeper, I would probably strip it and make my own box... But I really would want something about 21 feet, or a bit less. So this is more of an entry level project, but I should recoup most of my money... More than any landlord has ever returned to me haha.

Well .. I was humming and hawing ...and it sold hahA... NEXT project...