Post Office Box

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The post office gets a bundle of advertising papers, a bundled collection from various super markets, coupon clips and other worthless crap. They stuff it in my box every week. It is one of the USPO's sources of income. I can't get them to stop pushing it into the box. Every week. Don't pretend you get no junk mail.

I told my postmaster that I didn't want to receive any of the advertising flyers.

They put a note on their side of the box that reads "No advertising flyers"

Problem solved.

Yes, I still get the individually enveloped junk mail stuff from 'my' elected representative and solicitations from various charities but that's minimal as compared to the large wad of flyers which offered items for sale that I wouldn't buy in the next millenium.

Weight said:
The post office gets a bundle of advertising papers, a bundled collection from various super markets, coupon clips and other worthless crap. They stuff it in my box every week. It is one of the USPO's sources of income. I can't get them to stop pushing it into the box. Every week. Don't pretend you get no junk mail.

Do you get 20 different banks asking to sign up for a credit card? How about the mail that says "this nickle could feed a hungry child"? Of course, depending on the holiday, massive amounts of holiday special magazines and post card textured coupons/ads.

I read somewhere I believe Escapees also has Florida and South Dakota as well as Texas now.

There is a mail equivalent to the "Do Not Call" list.  I signed up years ago.

http://www.directmail.com/mail_preference/

This will take care of 99% of it.  I occasionally get some junk because a substitute mailman doesn't read the addresses, he just stuffs one in each mailbox until he runs out I guess.

Weight said:

My mail come to a huge block of boxes in the apartment complex, my box is near the top so my lazy ass carrier put 5-6 of those weekly flyers in my box so he doesn't have to bend down and put them in the lower boxes.  He also manages to "lose" a lot of my mail.  You'd think I lived in Chicago or something.

i have a UPS box, they told me that as long as you have an acct. with them you can have anything shipped to any UPS store as long as you notify the store nearest to where you want it to go and let them know. like if you have an acct in FL. you can have a pkg shipped, like say from amazon to quartzite and not have to bounce it from FL. my store people are vary helpful, they can notify the place where you want it shipped also.

Weight said:

that's exactly what i'm talking about- if you look at that flyer type coupon junk packet, there is tiny print identifying the company sending it- in my experience there are only two major ones- one is "red" something- and if you contact them (i've done it by phone and email), they have to stop sending it.  i had to google search to find a way to contact them, and they told me it would take a month or two to stop,  but stop it did.  

bottom line is if it was sent to your address, it was sent by some entity, and they have to stop if you notify them.  you cannot ask the usps not to put this stuff in your box, because anything with your address on it has to be delivered to you by the usps.  the key is to cut it off at the source.  keep all your junk mail, find out who sent it, contact them, and tell them to take you off their mailing list.  it may take some initial effort over a couple months, but seriously, i do NOT get junk mail.  caveat:   i did have to start all over with the flyers whenever i have moved to a new address.

another thing i've always done is to never give out my real info- phone, address, even zip code- to businesses just because they ask.  i.e. those saver cards at walgreens and everywhere else have my address and phone from 30 years ago- easy for me to remember, works fine, and no one knows but me and you...  except for maybe the folks who now have that address or phone number??!  

and yup, i'm the weird one in line in front of you at the store who politely says "no thank you" when asked for personal info by the cashier.  the less you give companies your contact info, the less they contact you.

I had to leave an apt beginning of Feb...In March the PO told me I needed to do general delivery. I did not realize that was an actual change of address
until my renewed Drivers License was returned. I'm in Virginia & will be camping for many months here locally. I've lived in the area since 2009 & I want
be able to keep here so I have my same Doctors, Disability, Insurance, Bank & etc. I'm not sure what to do?

My truck registration was renewed in Dec so it has that last apt address. I was just using the local post office near the motel for general delivery.
I originally lived in a smaller city 8 miles away & wanted to get PO Box at that PO, but they know me. Is that a problem? Also regardless whether
a PO Box in post office or mail service is it still the norm to use their street address as mine & then just add my PO Box number 1234 as the 4 digit
added zip code like 5019 Main St White Post VA 22622-1234? Will DMV, car insurance, Social Services, Social security, & etc accept this?

I will be camping in my truck & tent. Thank you SO much for any help!
Cheers
Ektar

I think getting a box at the UPS Store is better than the Post Office because they will accept UPS and FedEx for you and the PO will not. So just find the nearest UPS Store (or a local mom-n-pop store that also offers boxes) and use that for your mailing address.

If I were you I'd just keep using your old apartment address for a physical address. Someday they may ask you for proof that you live there like a rent receipt or utility receipt, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

No, you do not mix your physical and mailing address, they are different.

It's totally normal and legal to have a physical address and a mailing address. The forms at the DMV will have a spot for Residence address and another spot for a mailing address. Just put the different addresses in each one. The UPS Store in the mailing address and the old Apartment address in the residence address.

akrvbob said:
I think getting a box at the UPS Store is better than the Post Office because they will accept UPS and FedEx for you and the PO will not. So just find the nearest UPS Store (or a local mom-n-pop store that also offers boxes) and use that for your mailing address.

If I were you I'd just keep using your old apartment address for a physical address. Someday they may ask you for proof that you live there like a rent receipt or utility receipt, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

No, you do not mix your physical and mailing address, they are different.

It's totally normal and legal to have a physical address and a mailing address. The forms at the DMV will have a spot for Residence address and another spot for a mailing address. Just put the different addresses in each one. The UPS Store in the mailing address and the old Apartment address in the residence address.

Thank you for your help & responding. It's a bummer that my license was mailed & post office returned it.
Cheers
Ektar

Ektar said:
Thank you for your help & responding. It's a bummer that my license was mailed & post office returned it.
Cheers
Ektar

I wasn't mixing the home & mailing...I meant in order for your PO Box to look like a home address...
meaning if the Post Office in 5678 Main St Gretna VA 22390 & your PO Box is 1234
then when you actually use it you would write
John Smith
5678 Main St
Gretna, VA 22390-1234
instead of
John Smith
5678 Main St #1234
Gretna VA 22390        I read some where that was better since the " # " with a large number
following is a dead give away that it's a PO Box....
I will be using a friend's address for now & maybe get a PO Box later. I've had 2 change of addresses
since mid Dec. Once my Driver's Lic arrives, hopefully next week, I will then put an official change
of address to my friend's house. Thank You.
Cheers
Ektar

I did do the home & mailing address on the updated DMV form on-line. THX

I get UPS and FEDEX at my US Post Office box. The post office will give you a street address so you can get those packages. But only if you have a PO Box. Not many people know about this benefit.

WalkaboutTed said:
I get UPS and FEDEX at my US Post Office box.  The post office will give you a street address so you can get those packages.  But only if you have a PO Box.  Not many people know about this benefit.
Thanks for he reply mate. sorry for my delay I was too busy getting things together
to leave. So without posting your actual address, what does your address look like?
Thank You!
Cheers
Ektar

Okay, if the post office does accept UPS & FEDEX, will they forward your packages and other mail like a private mail forwarder?
I think that would be the deal breaker if they do not.

Gunny said:
While at the VA this morning I stopped and talked to the Eligibility clerk and asked about giving up my apartment and still be considered a Ft.Worth patient. He told me I could get a PO Box but I wouldn't get travel pay which is a whooping 7 dollars. It sounds too easy but he may be right.

My question, never having had a PO Box except while overseas, don't I have to have a mailing address to get one? 

Rob

UPS STORES are on most bases now.  With them you get a MAILING STREET ADDRESS and forwarding options to any other UPS store you may be venturing to.  I have one here at FT DIX, NJ

i have a ups box, i only had to show ID when i first got it 12 yrs. ago. and you can have anything shipped direct to any UPS store in the US. for no addl. charge

Once your mail or package gets to your mailbox whether it be USPS, FedEx or UPS you are going to have to pay to have it forwarded to wherever you might be.  Am I correct about this?

closeanuf said:
Once your mail or package gets to your mailbox whether it be USPS, FedEx or UPS you are going to have to pay to have it forwarded to wherever you might be.  Am I correct about this?

Yes.