Positives pf coved 19

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying kurbmaster

Reaction score
Some obvious positives to come out of this, traffic is lighter, gas prices are down, air is cleaner, less tourists around, we will learn something about pandemics for the next one. Any others it can’t all be doom and gloom. I am glad I am not in the  US.

We learn to respect habitat, so we are not the host, as in this virus.

We prolong life, but do not prolong birth and our foot print is too large.

flying kurbmaster said:
we will learn something about pandemics for the next one.
The plague was in London from 1347 to 1351.  It followed the "Silk Road" trade route from China through Persia to Genoa then North through France to London.  Royals and nobles fled the cities for their country homes.  That was neither the first nor the last time.  Fast forward to 2019 and the people carrying disease move by jet plane rather than camels and donkeys.  People still follow the same trading routes and still carry diseases.  Queen Elizabeth II has moved from Buckingham Palace to Windsor Castle.  Residents of Rhode Island and South Florida are upset that people from New York are arriving. This time it is likely that the population will not be reduced by a third but people are still doing the same things.   

I used to think that "repeating history" meant that a fifth grader who didn't learn history wouldn't go on to sixth grade but instead would repeat.  It seems that I was wrong.  I think it means people keep doing what people have historically done.  I don't think much will be learned.

We are learning we are vulnerable - that what happens on the other side of the world can quickly become our problem as well.

We are learning to be more conscientious about cleanliness... that our greatest enemies can be so small they are invisible and we can learn to protect ourselves from them.

We are learning to be more considerate of the well-being of others, that what we do can affect others we care about and being self-seeking isn't always the best path.

I am not sure that there is such a thing as a positive from this situation. But there are ways of offsetting our reaction to it. There is learning to adjust and cope.

It does of course very much emphasize that we are all vulnerable humans no matter what country we are living in, no matter what our social or economic position is in society, beggar or prince.

The Administration cut funding for disease crisis measures shortly before this hit. I think this will reinforce the folly of always putting off caring for the future to the future.

But only for this single, specific type of threat. Greed never sleeps.

We will continue to disavow the need for human solidarity as soon as humanly possible. Which, given humans, should not be too long. In general, always. In the specific, for a little while longer than we would have seen otherwise. At least that's something. We get so little these days that a temporary respite can come to feel somewhat like a triumph. I hope we get that respite, for a while.

Both of my churches have been meeting online only. They live-stream the services. The only people actually in the building are the worship team (musicians) and the pastor and whoever runs the electronic equipment for live-streaming. The rest of us watch from home.

travelaround said:
Both of my churches have been meeting online only. They live-stream the services. The only people actually in the building are the worship team (musicians) and the pastor and whoever runs the electronic equipment for live-streaming. The rest of us watch from home.
At present a joyful noise raised up is best done in isolation and not in a studio with others present because 6 feet of separation is not good enough.

A church choir met for practice with 60 people present in early March in Mt Vernon, WA. More than 45 of them contracted Covid 19 at that one meeting. They were met at the door of the practice by a person who dispensed hand sanitizer to everyone as they went into the practice. Thinking that would do the trick of protecting them from the virus.

It was the singing itself in an enclosed space that caused that issues. Because singing, shouting and loud talking can cause the virus droplets to become even smaller and atomize them into the air where they remain suspended rather than quickly hitting the ground. Then they get circulated throughout the space. Of course singing also includes a lot of deep breath inhalations which meant there was a high rate of infection among those choir members.

Of course all those people then had contact with others in their home and community and were capable of spreading the virus even before they showed symptoms.

I think we will soon start talking about post corona even if the wave has not yet peaked it seems that it will at some point. I read someone likening this more to a great big snow storm rather then a real financial crises. People die in storms more so when the weather experts warnings are not taken seriously

maki2 said:
At present a joyful noise raised up is best done in isolation and not in a studio with others present because 6 feet of separation is not good enough.

A church choir met for practice with 60 people present in early March in Mt Vernon, WA. More than 45 of them contracted Covid 19 at that one meeting. They were met at the door of the practice by a person who dispensed hand sanitizer to everyone as they went into the practice. Thinking that would do the trick of protecting them from the virus.

It was the singing itself in an enclosed space that caused that issues. Because singing, shouting and loud talking can cause the virus droplets to become even smaller and atomize them into the air where they remain suspended rather than quickly hitting the ground. Then they get circulated throughout the space. Of course singing also includes a lot of deep breath inhalations which meant there was a high rate of infection among those choir members.

Of course all those people then had contact with others in their home and community and were capable of spreading the virus even before they showed symptoms.
-____________________________________________________________________________
To Maki 2: I saw this and this is not looking good.  Kind of looks like "airborne" spread--but I am not a scientist on the technical stuff.  Just a real bad statistical
outcome from some person "coughing" or sneezing???  I will redouble my efforts to stay away from anyone that is breathing.  Thanks t

I am grateful that there is no a lot of traffic in Seattle when I do need to go out and run errands. But it is certainly not a positive as it means the economy is badly suffering. A lot of traffic is much more desirable than no traffic.

By the end of this I will be a better musician, my place will be very tidy organized and the odd jobs jar will be empty

Yeah Kurbmaster, I know what you're talking about. I've finished all my projects and have cleaned everything in sight.

Maybe I can go on break now.

But wait! Maybe I should start painting stuff...Yeah, that's the ticket.

Carry on.

Johnny

I get to live like the hermit that I am and enjoy it, without looking like I'm socially awkward.
I can avoid people I don't like with legit excuses.

I have been able to identify friends that have difficulties when it comes to thinking logically. I still love them just don't understand them.

The friends that I have lost or nearly lost cause me to value every day more than before the storm.

Guy

I was definitely feeling that in the early days. Like, OK, what's different except that everyone else is doing it too?

Reading those early posts now feels like another world. I'd be surprised if there are any takeaways from this.

Over one hundred years ago Mark Twain made an observation that this thread reminds me of.  Twain remarked,

Modern men of the Industrial age (revolution) won't have a chance to step back from their occupations and get a new perspective. 

Twain had had many such opportunities in his lifetime owing to events like the Steam Boat technology, the Civil War, and living and working in occupations where a "seniority system" wasn't yet in place.  But for those later men and women of the Industrial Revolution with it's seniority system it would take interruptions like War, Depression, Epidemics (Flu in 1917) Recessions, or even now with a global pandemic like Corona for such people to step back and spend some time evaluating their lives and deciding if there is a better way for them.

To me, if there is a "Plus" to Corona,  it is in this unexpected grant of time to step back and examine their lot in life and gain that new perspective Twain spoke of so long ago.  To learn what possibilities the new internet technologies hold that have been lurking under their noses that they didn't have time before to take stock of.  How they could live a nomadic life and provide themselves a better future & retirement as a Virtual Assistant working from their rig.  In this down time they can learn how to escape the "Totalitarian Dictatorships" that so many Corporations have become in the USA, and live as a small business operator or in a well paid Trades job that gives them more autonomy in their life with space to feel free.