Portable System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exnavyabfc

Reaction score
Looking for SOME power for my van so I can hit the road soon. Anyone out there that maybe upgraded have a used portable solar system for sale? And,,would you really suggest buying a used system?

If I were selling a used system, i would recommend buying it. Renogy has some inexpensive systems available on their web site and also on Amazon. They do provide a turn key set up with a warranty. They provide lots of customer service help.

Never used that solarblvd but the price HARD to beat. I hope someone buys it and does a review.

For $750 I could build a small power plant right now. hehe

The Zamp portable is more plug and play user friendly. You would be stuck with their choices in wire length and thickness. The controller may be nicer but nothing that cost much. It really should be at least rewired so that the controller is near the batteries.

The Solarblvd portable honestly I see as a hinged pair of panels with folding feet. It comes with a PWM controller glued to the back of one of the panels. It is pretty basic and while I have seen one function, it is a pain to set and limited even then. That said I bet for $100 you could have a decent controller, the cable/fuse for the battery plus a 50 foot run to the panels and end up with a much nicer system than you would get from zamp.

Another thing not to like about the $179 system is the weight -- 40 lbs. Not a lot of fun to move around and follow the sun. If it were me I'd look at those $100 semi-flexible (lightweight) panels - easy to store and move.

KathyC said:
Another thing not to like about the $179 system is the weight -- 40 lbs.  Not a lot of fun to move around and follow the sun.  If it were me I'd look at those $100 semi-flexible (lightweight) panels - easy to store and move.

Good points. I have thought of cobbling together a system. Any good recommendstions on flexible panel manufacturers or vendors?

MarkK said:
Good points. I have thought of cobbling together a system. Any good recommendstions on flexible panel manufacturers or vendors?

On the cruising forums I have heard mixed things about the flexible panels.  High failure rates, cupping.

The true flexible panels that roll up are pretty durable (I have one by Powerfilm that you can shoot with a gun and it still works) but are just horribly expensive at about $6 a watt or more.

I like that rigid suitcase.

I have that solar Blvd folding 160 watt panel, it works great! I eventually put heavier gage wireing on it and wired the 2 panels in the series with a cheap victron mppt controller, on a nice full sun 55 degree day that portable panel put out 161 watts, so yes it is a great deal, it is a bit heavy though.

BTW in my Personal opinion, zamp is a way overpriced system, the controller is not all the great despite their claims, a cheap victron mppt is a lot better. The connectors on zamp are good but you can make better ones yourself cheap. Only people buying zamps are middle/upper middle class peeps with money to burn.

Attached is the screen shot showing the power output of the 160 watt folding panel, it actually shows it was putting out 165 watts (see day 2) that was on a cold morning with panel tilted at sun after a rainy day  and I had drained my battery too  low charging my electric bike.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-04-19-15-49.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-04-19-15-49.png
    303.2 KB
MarkK said:
I have a pair of Renogy 100W Eclipse panels that I use as a portable system.

Each panel is about 18 lbs so easy for me to deal with and I have a Marinco Charger Inlet in the recessed part of the back bumper on the GMC that is wired to the charge controller inside the van.

It's as plug and play as it gets and with a 25' cord I can park in the shade and put the panels in the sun mostly..been camping in coastal rain forest lately where I'd have to drive to see the sun but then that's what the generator is for!

Flexible panels have been known to have problems...until they straighten that out - hahaha - I'd stay away from them.

I've talked the sales people at Solar Blvd, they have been very helpful and not pushy. Can't speak for the product but they have been around awhile.

IGBT said:
On the cruising forums I have heard mixed things about the flexible panels.  High failure rates, cupping.]
I think this is less of an issue when using as a portable (at least, that's what I've read from others on Wander the West).  Check out the info from RV With Tito on YouTube...he has a couple of useful vids on flexible panels and describes the differences.  I'm looking at Lensun myself (though haven't done it yet).

Itripper said:
I have that solar Blvd folding 160 watt panel, it works great! I eventually put heavier gage wireing on it and wired the 2 panels in the series with a cheap victron mppt controller, on a nice full sun 55 degree day that portable panel put out 161 watts, so yes it is a great deal, it is a bit heavy though.

BTW in my Personal opinion, zamp is a way overpriced system, the controller is not all the great despite their claims, a cheap victron mppt is a lot better. The connectors on zamp are good but you can make better ones yourself cheap. Only people buying zamps are middle/upper middle class peeps with money to burn.

No money to burn here. For a few less watts, and lighter weight this might be easier to handle.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/nature-power-briefcase-solar-panels-120-watt/90096

Feels like I'm down to building my own, but thinking of a single panel.

DItripper said:

Question on controllers. Are any water proof/resistant? It seems the kits from say Solar Blvd would need to have/use such a setup. 

While I get it is best to put the controller close to the batteries, I may not have enough room 
to do so and it will likely reside outside with the panels.

Given I will also likely not do more than 2 X100W panels, a mppt could be a waste of money, and they largely seem to be an interior installed device whereas some pwm's seem to be acceptable for outside applications.