Popular van levelers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocks and/or a shovel. This is one of those areas that I see no need for a plastic doo dad. Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Rocks and/or a shovel. 

Too much work.  :D  I pick sites that are fairly level to begin with then pull forward and back, side to side, rotating a little until I'm level enough. I've gotten pretty good at hitting on the first try. A bit of a slope from front to back is okay because I like to sleep with my head elevated. Or a slight lean to the driver side/bed side is okay because then it rolls me into bed rather than out.

I’ve used everything from rocks to a stout piece of firewood ? to level my rig. Since I use the 12 V compressor fridge I don’t have to be exactly level like you do with the propane fridge. And there’s not very many days I don’t move the van to go somewhere else and then come back to camp what a pain in the butt that would be to have to get it exactly level every time. I just don’t have room for carrying those plastic leveling things. One of these days I might get the long plastic things that Help when you get stuck but I’m not sure where I’m gonna store them. I am downsizing everything in the van again. After a year of living in a van, if I haven’t touched it it better have a good reason to stay or it Has to go. I’m so tired of extra junk stacking up in front of my cabinets that I have to move every time just to get in the cabinet. That may be a little off the subject but the fact is some of these neat little gadgets add up to a bunch of stuff you store and rarely use.

nature lover said:
...I am downsizing everything in the van again... I’m so tired of extra junk stacking up in front of my cabinets that I have to move every time just to get in the cabinet....

Yeah, one of my main goals has been not needing to move stuff around in the van just to live my daily life.

I use tri-levelers. They work well as you can stagger them, i.e., one wheel on first level, another wheel on the third level. Digging up rocks (if there are any) or digging holes is a lot more work than placing the levelers. I carry two small torpedo levels, one for the floorboard behind the doghouse and another for the kitchen countertop. The one on the floorboard helps me position the van while the one on the counter reassures me that the shower water will run down the drain and not to the front of the van soaking my rugs. After using the levelers for a while, you get a feel for which wheel needs how much elevation change for level. When I run into that situation where they aren't tall enough, I carry a 3 ton hydraulic jack to raise the low portion. It also helps with a tire change if needed.

I use yellow 'lego' leveling blocks and the level app on my iPhone.  I have a spot on the dash that is level with the floor.  The legos fit in a small spot behind the drivers seat.
I practice 'leave no trace' as much as possible so I don't dig holes or move rocks and trees around.

LOL, Leave no trace.

Do we really want to go there? with my shovel I can fill in my hole and place the rocks back in place.

With the plastic doo dads what are you going to do when the UV finally gets to them?
Not to mention all the infrastructure and mining and manufacturing to make them and bring them to you.
Once they are ready for the trash what are you going to do buy more?

I have to ask, who has less impact on the environment?

Highdesertranger

I have found several of those and even traction mats buried in the blow sand on the beach this year usually about 18" down. Guess people are to tired to go dig them out or drive far enough out without stopping to want to come back. It is a nice surprise to find extras when digging mine out after helping someone else get unstuck! By the way airing down a 35 series tire doesn't do a lot of good by itself but does make it go over the tracks better.