Pops's Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pops

Reaction score
IMG_0117.JPGIMG_0122.JPGView attachment 4101IMG_0120.JPGIMG_0118.JPG

First time I've posted pics. They look okay in the preview so they should be alright. If not please let me know.

This is what my floor looks like at this point. I decided to work from the back passenger side, then driver's side,instead of a full sheet down the center so I would have wider pieces around the wheel wells. My last piece fits against the back of the front seat bases and the forward edge of the two pieces from the back. this gives me two seams to seal. Not sure how yet. I also want to seal the floor, both sides and edges. I would like to go with something clear as I like the look of the white birch but it has to be durable to handle a lot of chair rolling. If it would clean up easily that would be great. I've been looking online and Minwax seems to be one option but I'm still looking.

I received lots of help from a lot of people. All these decisions I made were based on input from Free Range Chicken, Almost There, highdesertranger, eDJ, towhee and  masterplumber. This was very important to have this info to mull over and work with. I was also lucky as I am a complete amateur but had great help from my friend Rob. Although he is a auto mechanic by trade also does woodwork as well. Thanks again to everyone, Pops.

P.S. I just took a final preview and no pics. I'm going to post as is and try uploading the pics again.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    984.3 KB
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    985 KB
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    1.5 MB
Pops said:
First time I've posted pics. They look okay in the preview so they should be alright. If not please let me know.

This is what my floor looks like at this point. I decided to work from the back passenger side, then driver's side,instead of a full sheet down the center so I would have wider pieces around the wheel wells. My last piece fits against the back of the front seat bases and the forward edge of the two pieces from the back. this gives me two seams to seal. Not sure how yet. I also want to seal the floor, both sides and edges. I would like to go with something clear as I like the look of the white birch but it has to be durable to handle a lot of chair rolling. If it would clean up easily that would be great. I've been looking online and Minwax seems to be one option but I'm still looking.

I received lots of help from a lot of people. All these decisions I made were based on input from Free Range Chicken, Almost There, highdesertranger, eDJ, towhee and  masterplumber. This was very important to have this info to mull over and work with. I was also lucky as I am a complete amateur but had great help from my friend Rob. Although he is a auto mechanic by trade also does woodwork as well. Thanks again to everyone, Pops.

P.S. I just took a final preview and no pics. I'm going to post as is and try uploading the pics again.

P.P.S. I thought I had my list of people to thank complete but I left out Optimistic Paranoid, LeeRevell and peacetara. So sorry guys - apparently my mind is on overload. Pops.

P.P.S. I thought I had my list of people to thank complete but I left out Optimistic Paranoid, LeeRevell and peacetara. So sorry guys - apparently my mind is on overload. Pops.

Starting to look good there Pops!

There's several different types of Min-Wax, each suitable for it's own job. IIWM I'd talk to someone in the paint department and ask their opinion or email Min-Wax themselves and ask for a recommendation - tell them what you need to be able to use it for.

A little secret to the pics - I resize my original to 800 x whatever (automatic) pixels and then save that picture. When I use that one for posting it comes out the same size as yours on the thread but when clicked on, the whole picture can be seen on a screen without scrolling up/down and across. There's sufficient clarity to show what you've done without the pic being gimongous!!

Almost There said:
Starting to look good there Pops!

There's several different types of Min-Wax, each suitable for it's own job. IIWM I'd talk to someone in the paint department and ask their opinion or email Min-Wax themselves and ask for a recommendation - tell them what you need to be able to use it for.

A little secret to the pics - I resize my original to 800 x whatever (automatic) pixels and then save that picture. When I use that one for posting it comes out the same size as yours on the thread but when clicked on, the whole picture can be seen on a screen without scrolling up/down and across. There's sufficient clarity to show what you've done without the pic being gimongous!!

Thanks Almost There.

When I click on the pics I posted it shows 220 x 220 pixels.I assume that's the default as I've never posted any pics anywhere before. When I clicked on it - it enlarged without my needing to scroll around. I'm think perhaps it could be a particular software interpretation. As I am an enthusiastic amateur in this area as well I could be way off base. I understand what you said though and will try that next time and hopefully I'll get it right. I  really appreciate it - it's very aggravating not to be able to see the whole pic at once.  

In my local home center there is a lot of turnover and I often get conflicting advice however it's still worth seeing what they have to say as well as MinWax.

By the way what does IIWM stand for? New to the computer acronyms.

Thanks Pops.

Pops said:
Thanks Almost There.

When I click on the pics I posted it shows 220 x 220 pixels.I assume that's the default as I've never posted any pics anywhere before. When I clicked on it - it enlarged without my needing to scroll around. I'm think perhaps it could be a particular software interpretation. As I am an enthusiastic amateur in this area as well I could be way off base. I understand what you said though and will try that next time and hopefully I'll get it right. I  really appreciate it - it's very aggravating not to be able to see the whole pic at once.  

In my local home center there is a lot of turnover and I often get conflicting advice however it's still worth seeing what they have to say as well as MinWax.

By the way what does IIWM stand for? New to the computer acronyms.

Thanks Pops.
IIWM - If it were me

You'll probably also need IMO - In My Opinion... :)

And Min Wax themselves are probably going to be more help than the local lumber yard staff, particularly if there's a large turnover. They may be a little harder to get hold of though, but going to the experts can pay off.  I'm used to the staff at my local lumber yard who have been there for years and now that I've been there so often, address me by name....sigh!! Either that or they run when they spot me coming... :rolleyes:

Pops said:

That's ok, Pops.  We don't do it for the glory.  We do it for the good karma.

Can't speak for Lee or peacetara, but God knows **I** need it . . .

Regards
John

It's looking good!  I like Minwax products for furniture work.  Not so good for gunstock finishing, but should work well in a van.  Polyshades combines stain with a poly finish.  They have an amazing number of color choices.

That turned out real nice Pops. If you have a local Sherwin Williams or Kwal paint store (they're now the same company) they are usually staffed by more knowledgable people than the home centers. Of course they are going to try and push product they sell, but they do carry Minwax.

Pops said:

I received lots of help from a lot of people. All these decisions I made were based on input from catfish, Almost There, highdesertranger, eDJ, towhee and  masterplumber. This was very important to have this info to mull over and work with. I was also lucky as I am a complete amateur but had great help from my friend Rob. Although he is a auto mechanic by trade also does woodwork as well. Thanks again to everyone, Pops.

Thanks masterplumber. There should a Sherwin Williams around, I'm not familiar with Kwal paint store but I'll look. By the way the home center

torx_vs_torxplus.jpgThanks everyone for the input.

I am hoping to have the floor sealed by months end as I must be out of my storage unit by then. It's the usual juggling act of home, work, van. I'll keep updating as I go.

By the way something I discovered doing this is my van's seat bracket bolts are Torx 55 however there is a Torx 55 Plus that fits snugger and is less likely to strip the screw. I bought mine from Amazon for about $11.00.
News to me, hope it can help others.

Pops

Attachments

• torx_vs_torxplus.jpg
    torx_vs_torxplus.jpg
    15.9 KB