pop up truck camper - mattress options...?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serhart

Reaction score
Hey Folks!  In the planning stages...I have a F150 and am planning on getting a lightweight pop up overland truck camper.  I am asking for any of those that are familiar or have one and am very interested in what your max height of a mattress is for the overhead bed sleeper portion?  I contacted the AT Ovrlnd people and they said that 2.5" is the max for mattress....are you kidding me? That's not much cushioning at all if planning on sleeping in the thing longer than a weekend (which I hopefully plan on).  Just wanted to get a first hand perspective on this.  Thanks so much!

Welcome serhart to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Well you are correct 2.5 inches is next to nothing. Is that your only option? I thought there were a few manufacturers.

Highdesertranger

You can keep a memory foam topper rolled up in the main area of the camper and put it on the bed when popped up. It's common for pop ups to have short bed heights.

There is a solution (at least it works for me.) Get a thermarest-style inflatable & insulated backpacker's mattress. I keep it permanently underneath the thin standard mattress in the camper. Before lowering the roof, open the valve to deflate the thermarest. After raising the top, inflate the thermarest.

This solution is comfortable and practical. In cold weather, it also minimizes buildup of moisture under the regular mattress. One final tip: When inflating the the thermarest, don't inflate it fully. Put in just enough air to create a U shape for your body. Overinflation makes the thermarest uncomfortable.

Thanks so much for responses. Will take all that into consideration! Appreciate it ;)

Latest posts