Pop up camper living?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeyondBuffaloJosh

Reaction score
It seems a pop-up camper would be a very easy and inexpensive way to get into the mobile lifestyle. But I've seen very little on this option.
What am I missing? I had a pop-up camper and stayed in it for extended periods during hunting season and it seemed to handle the weather OK and was quite comfy and "livable"
Anybody done this?
I'm considering a mobile work-camping lifestyle and already have an SUV 4x4. I cant afford much for a camper and can't tow anything too large as I have a GMC Envoy (6 cyl)
I also LOVE the cargo van conversions I've seen, but again the cost may be prohibitive.

So what would be your pro's & con's of pop-ups? Would really love to know if anyone is currently doing this.
Thanks!

It is not really usable unless fully opened, no stopping for a pee break or a nap unless you open it up and if wet you have to wait until the canvas is dry to close up. The last part may have changed with modern materials but still a hassle.

Rob

And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the thoughts Gunny. You're correct on not stowing the canvas when wet as mildew is most certainly a problem.
I'm just in the stage of considering options to get me out of renting and continuing to attempt to survive on crap pay at dead-end jobs. Hoping for a better way and "van dwelling" in some form or fashion seems feasible if I could camp host / sugar beet harvest / amazon camper force to earn income and be mostly employed during the year while still having a nice chunk of time off and no rent
Anyhoo, thanks again for taking the time to reply!

I have and use a FWC Grandby pop-up camper about 5 months a year. There are pro's and con's to living in any camper.  Here are some thoughts:

• If you move around a lot they get better gas milage than a hard sided truck camper.  The downside is setting it up every night.  If you stay in one place for a while a hard sided camper is more convenient.
  • They are noisier than a hard sided camper.  You hear about as much outside noise as in a tent.
  • You have less storage than a hard sided camper.
  • It is lighter than a comparable hard sided camper.  My Grandby weighs in at ~ 1250 lbs. with 2 weeks supplies.  My unmodified 3/4 ton truck handles it easily and I am about 1000 lbs under GVW and the weight is balanced front to rear.  My center of gravity is lower (important if you do off camber driving).
  • The soft sides will lose a lot of heat/cooling without additional insulation, which adds complication to setup.  I don't notice any drafts when it is windy out.
  • They are difficult to put down in windy conditions.  I usually have to move to position my door downwind to keep the wind from lifting the roof.
  • It is easier to load/unload stuff from the roof than a hard sided camper.  You either have to take it off when popping the top or deal with the additional weight.
  • You have to choreograph your movements if two people want to move around at the same time.  This applies to both types of truck camper and I think vans also; not sure about travel trailers.  Luckily my dog just jumps up on the bed so I don't have to deal with him underfoot.  No way can 3+ people/dogs move around at the same time.
The soft sides on my camper is made out of the same material as whitewater rafts so it can be packed wet.  As with any tent it can't be stored wet.  It is very durable; it looks its age (35+ years), with patches and discoloration but it is still watertight.
I built my own interior so I built the bed down across the front.  I can sleep with the camper top down if I want to stealth park, the only inconvenience is headroom.

I'll probably think of more stuff about 10 minutes after I post.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
I have and use a FWC Grandby pop-up camper about 5 months a year. There are pro's and con's to living in any camper.  Here are some thoughts:

• If you move around a lot they get better gas milage than a hard sided truck camper.  The downside is setting it up every night.  If you stay in one place for a while a hard sided camper is more convenient.
  • They are noisier than a hard sided camper.  You hear about as much outside noise as in a tent.
  • You have less storage than a hard sided camper.
  • It is lighter than a comparable hard sided camper.  My Grandby weighs in at ~ 1250 lbs. with 2 weeks supplies.  My unmodified 3/4 ton truck handles it easily and I am about 1000 lbs under GVW and the weight is balanced front to rear.  My center of gravity is lower (important if you do off camber driving).
  • The soft sides will lose a lot of heat/cooling without additional insulation, which adds complication to setup.  I don't notice any drafts when it is windy out.
  • They are difficult to put down in windy conditions.  I usually have to move to position my door downwind to keep the wind from lifting the roof.
  • It is easier to load/unload stuff from the roof than a hard sided camper.  You either have to take it off when popping the top or deal with the additional weight.
  • You have to choreograph your movements if two people want to move around at the same time.  This applies to both types of truck camper and I think vans also; not sure about travel trailers.  Luckily my dog just jumps up on the bed so I don't have to deal with him underfoot.  No way can 3+ people/dogs move around at the same time.
The soft sides on my camper is made out of the same material as whitewater rafts so it can be packed wet.  As with any tent it can't be stored wet.  It is very durable; it looks its age (35+ years), with patches and discoloration but it is still watertight.
I built my own interior so I built the bed down across the front.  I can sleep with the camper top down if I want to stealth park, the only inconvenience is headroom.

I'll probably think of more stuff about 10 minutes after I post.

-- Spiff

Thanks Spiff, you bring up a lot of good points. I remember once having a tough time packing up my popup when it was very windy. 
Your camper sounds like it does the trick for you, and that's really all we can ask for.

BBJosh, others have done it. Several years ago we saw a family with small children camp hosting in a popup trailer at Hillsborough River State Park in Florida.

As others have said, it works best if you don't have to move real real often.

I had a small pop up trailer for camping trips with the family for around 9 years. It was a 2005 model Rockwood (8 foot box), I believe.

It was great to tow. I never used a weight distribution hitch or anti-sway device. Gas mileage was less effected than traditional trailers. On one trip, I got 24MPG in my Ram 1500 Eco Diesel. I would expect to get 29MPG on the same trip not towing. Towing my 25' Lance, I would probably get 16MPG on that trip.

Roomy (for the size). The open design of pop up trailers makes it seem much larger than traditional TTs. Expanded my 8ft box trailer was around 16ft bed to bed.

The beds in my trailer were comfortable. I think they were 3" heated (never used, heat though). Beats sleeping in a traditional tent on an air mattress IMO.

The canvas of these newer tents resist mildew, are easier to clean, and don't leak. I would use a old towel to wipe off condensation before break down. It is still a tent so noise and cold may be an issue if you're work camping in the late fall or winter. Mine had a RV furnace and I was fine during the nights when the temp dropped to 32F or so.

I used Rubbermaid boxes to store camping equipment on the floor of the trailer. Set up took 20 min or so. Breakdown took maybe 30-45 minutes.

I think a pop up would be great for camp hosting in Spr/Summer/early Fall in more mild locations (Sierras, Oregon). Good luck!

I lived in an 8' slide-in pop-up camper for a couple of years. ..Willy.

We did 5 1/2 months straight in a pop-up. The pros and cons have been covered. We just sold ours and are living full-time in a Hi-Lo. Hi-Lo went out of business in 2010 after being in business since 1966. If you familiar with it, it is the "telescoping" trailer. It towed great on the trip here. Older ones were lighter and there are a variety of sizes out there. It is sort of a "horse of a different color" and a few people in the Hi-Lo owner forum are rebuilding/repairing the older ones which can be had at reasonable prices.

We got rid of the pop-up because you really can't secure anything in there. Pop-ups offer very little storage and can be difficult to heat and cool. We always kept a porta-potti in our tow vehicle for emergencies and stopped frequently anyway.

We had an Aliner, which is one of those hard shell, A-frame pop-ups. It was really nice and roomy, and only took a couple of minutes to set up. But the total lack of stealth ability and the general hassle of pulling a trailer didn't do it for us. We stealth mini-vanned for several years and, yes, it was much less comfortable than the Aliner. But to be able to park anywhere and not having to get out of our vehicle or to set up made traveling much easier and impromptu.

With that in mind, we are now in the midst of converting a Nissan NV full sized van. It's not as stealth as a minivan, but it's a good compromise.

You have to weigh what is most important to you while traveling. I'm a firm believer an a pros and cons list for all option. Good travels!

A few months ago I traded a Viking pop up in on a 2004 Aliner.  The Viking would sleep 7.  I had been unable to use it by myself for 4yrs as I could no longer set it up by myself.

I like the Aliner because even tho I have to stand on a ladder I am able to raise the roofs @ the sides and secure them in under 15min. by myself :)  I like the Aliner because it tows easily and has the storage I need.  The previous owners altered the dining area to make a king size bed,  I'm intending to have a full time twin so plenty of room to move around.  Like most pop ups there is no uppper cabinets, however once I know exactly what's needed a friend has offered to build them. The sloping ceiling is a problem  so they will need to be light weight and slant so they fit against the side walls. I do wish for a closet and shower however I can make do.

My biggest concern is the door seems pretty flimsy and as banged up as I am I believe i could pop open the door in about 2min or less with a flat pry bar and a good hammer.  Unless I'm with folks I know or in a campground I'll probably sleep in the van while traveling or boondocking.

I can hardly wait!! :D

Jewellann

WalkaboutTed said:
We had an Aliner, which is one of those hard shell, A-frame pop-ups.  It was really nice and roomy, and only took a couple of minutes to set up.  But the total lack of stealth ability and the general hassle of pulling a trailer didn't do it for us.  We stealth mini-vanned for several years and, yes, it was much less comfortable than the Aliner. But to be able to park anywhere and not having to get out of our vehicle or to set up made traveling much easier and impromptu.

With that in mind, we are now in the midst of converting a Nissan NV full sized van.  It's not as stealth as a minivan, but it's a good compromise.

You have to weigh what is most important to you while traveling.  I'm a firm believer an a pros and cons list for all option. Good travels!

Ted,
Thank you for the reply. I LOVE the Aliners. I camped next to someone with one a few years back and was instantly smitten!
I've seen a few online but they are always out of my price range. Maybe I'll stumble upon a good deal at some point.
One thing I would NOT be doing is any stealth camping so I need not worry about that aspect.
Thanks again!
Josh

Oh, one thing you must have with the Aliner, if you don't have it already. Make sure you have the high wind kit. You'll be much more comfortable knowing that the high winds won't cause a dangerous and costly weather related accident.

I used to have a FWC Granby also, and loved it. Especially on the road as not towing is always easier than towing no matter how good you are at it. But i also love my current cargo trailer. Especially the fact that I don't have to unload all my tools from my truck to travel. While I'll have about $5k in mine once I get solar installed, I think you could build a decent one for less than $2k if you bought used and were careful about what and where you bought the finish materials.

I wrote a Blog entry on the pros and cons of an Aliner for Bob. It is here if anyone would like to reference it: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/which-vehicle-to-live-in/living-traveling-pop-aliner-trailer/

Once up, Aliners are very wind resistant. The danger comes when erecting in high winds, before you latch the roof halves, as if a big gust of wind happens while you are raising the roof (no pun intended), which takes all of about 30 seconds, it could damage one of the roof halves. As an alternative to a wind kit I just throw a rope over the camper and secure it with a couple motorcycle tie downs to the bumpers on each end, but most of the time I don't bother as the wind is not high enough to worry. I have been through Hurricane Gustav in one and on top of Mt. Magazine (the highest peak in Arkansas) in some pretty high winds, that shook the camper and blew around some flat sided travel trailers more than my pointy Aliner, which spilled the wind. My DW and I never felt unsafe inside even in the worst weather. If you forget to remove the rope, you can't take the roof down, that's how secure a simple rope makes it.

While not stealthy in the city, you can park in Walmart, Cabellas, Flying J., etc. parking lots (that allow overnight parking) with no problems. I sometimes overnight in roadside rest areas as they are usually quieter and less busy, though you can pop-up virtually anywhere for a quick meal or potty break. It's so quick and easy I often pop-up and down at the gas station while filling up the little 4 cylinder car I use to tow it, to access the fridge for a soft drink, etc. I'm always done by the time by DW comes back from using the restroom or buying a cup of coffee inside the store.

Chip

Honestly, before I really knew what an Aliner was, I could have believed that the deployed position was its permanent state, and I'd imagine more than a few of the average driver wouldn't know the difference.