Expert Feedback Wanted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailerManNJ

Reaction score
Was looking at the Rogue Pop-up line of truck campers...particularly this model: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2022-Palomino-The-Rogue-Rogue-Truck-Campers-EB-1-5014469954

Seeking feedback/input on 3 questions I have. Don't laugh, they're DEFINITELY newb questions, but I'm fine with that  :D I wouldn't know a truck camper from a baked potato!

1. How well does a pop-top truck camper retain heat/air conditioning?

I've seen some people say moderately/very well because it's such a small space, so any draft openings don't affect it much. And I've heard others say the pop-ups are TERRIBLE at retaining heat & a/c, as most of the energy will be sucked out from the openings around the canvas area. 

As I'll be living in a vehicle full-time in cold NE winters and hot summers, this is a critically important point for me.

2. How big of an issue will condensation be?

3. Do the truck jacks NEED to be attached to the vehicle?

They not only look ugly to me, but I'm guessing they add another 50-100lbs. of weight. to the vehicle. If I go the pop-top route, I'd opt to leave them off if they're not necessary. I'm assuming that the only time they'll be needed is if I wanted to remove the camper to park it somewhere, or maybe for servicing...both of which would be very seldom. Though I could very well be wrong on this.

It is possible to get an insulated pop up, it's basically just insulated material on the popup portion.  The small size does make it easy to heat.  The most important thing in this regard is the weatherization of the 'wet' portions of the build.  You will likely want both insulation and thermostat controlled electric heating pads/wraps.  All of this is likely available options.  I'd check out a few other models/vehicles with these things in mind.

Compensation goes to insulation, you want a no gap installation between the exterior shell and preferably a rigid foam allowing no space for water to condense.

Truck jacks are likely also an option, and I presume you can buy aftermarket as well.  They might help with resale and long term flexibility.

FWIW, I'm playing around with DIY build of this type of shell.  Is not that hard.

Thanks, DL! Can you elaborate a bit more on the following...not sure what it means: You will likely want both insulation and thermostat controlled electric heating pads/wraps.

This too, please: Y[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ou want a no gap installation between the exterior shell and preferably a rigid foam allowing no space for water to condense.[/font] 

I look forward to seeing your build once it's finished  :thumbsup: