Poor man's 1999 F450 Truck Camper Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a day with no rain or cold weather so climbed my big and old azz up on a ladder with 3M 5200 fast cure and got my panel in place. Pretty tough by myself as my help couldn't make it. 

Can't get last pic oriented correctly

Attachments

• 20190310_154726.jpg
    20190310_154726.jpg
    756.9 KB
  • 20190310_125648.jpg
    20190310_125648.jpg
    865.2 KB
  • 20190310_160625.jpg
    20190310_160625.jpg
    798.1 KB
very nice. I do like your rig. a couple of unrelated questions,

I guess when you travel you remove the steps and store them somewhere, am I right?

those aluminum diamond plate boxes, where did you get those? are you happy with the quality? what brand are they? I am asking because I am looking into one for a battery box.

highdesertranger

@HDR

Yeah, they're the steps that came w/ the camper, hopefully, soon to be replaced. I just take 'em off and set them inside the door when traveling, for now.

Passenger side boxes are some cheap, 36", flimsy Chinese made ones I got off of Offerup for $50 a piece. About a 3/10 on quality, and that might be optimistic. Not very secure at all. I keep tarps & related in the rear. My intention is to move my batteries to the front one, as well (great minds). I think they retail for $100. Not high on the priority list but I'm gonna upgrade when I can.

Driver's side is a 48" Jobox, about 7/10 on quality imo, from this guy in Mesa, AZ:
https://robertsprotools.com/
He had a small sale and I think I got for about $250.

Got another break in the rain about noon today and made a little more progress on the tilt support arms which I made out of a repurposed walker.

Couple of needed tweaks apparent. I think I'm going to use 1/4" clevis pins on the 4 mounts AND in place of the spring loaded ball detent design on the adjustable sliding arms. I thought of using clevis pins early in the design but thought they might rattle a bit while traveling.

After giving the tilt a test run today the clevis pin would be much easier to operate and the ball detent is problematic because on the walker you can depress the ball and turn the leg to adjust up or down. With leg, now support arms, in fixed position it's more time consuming to have to depress the ball at each interval hole to go past it, if that makes sense. If I remove the ball detent, which is simple, and drill through the other side I can use a simple pin.

Another insight is the panel is 65" long and 40 lbs, adjusting it will take moving the ladder at least a couple of times. Maybe I'll find a routine that makes it easier. Future tweaks coming.

Attachments

• 20190311_135337.jpg
    20190311_135337.jpg
    1.3 MB
  • 20190311_135506.jpg
    20190311_135506.jpg
    918.9 KB
  • 20190311_135605.jpg
    20190311_135605.jpg
    571 KB
  • 20190311_135938.jpg
    20190311_135938.jpg
    1 MB
  • 20190311_154932.jpg
    20190311_154932.jpg
    1.4 MB
Wish I'd thought to radius those mount corners

10-4 on that. I radius everything nowadays. I learned that the hard way. highdesertranger

Got a couple of things ordered today. They were gifted to me by a friend.

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1.) Eccotemp L5 1.5 GPM Portable 37,500 BTU Liquid Propane Outdoor Tankless Water Heater[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Getting ready to start re-do of bathroom, Camper didn't originally have a shower, just toilet/sink in a small privacy closet. Intention is to have inside and outside shower[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2.) Little Giant Ladder Systems[/font][/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
4-Step Safety Aluminum Step Ladder with Bar 300lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Folding steps I have, again, are original 1988 a step too short for my rig. They don't fill me with confidence climbing them and are NOT kind to my knees. I'll use the ladder as is for now till I finish the drop down deck for the rear.[/font][/font]

Attachments

• eccotemp-tankless-point-of-use-water-heaters-l5-64_1000.jpg
    eccotemp-tankless-point-of-use-water-heaters-l5-64_1000.jpg
    35.4 KB
  • little-giant-ladder-systems-platform-ladders-10410ba-64_1000.jpg
    little-giant-ladder-systems-platform-ladders-10410ba-64_1000.jpg
    46.8 KB
Well, I've had an opportunity present itself to me that's helped me along building out my rig w/ equipment. Most of it very nice stuff. I'm also renovating most of the interior which means changing the layout of the camper. I hate how truck camper manufacturers try to make them look like "home". Just not my preference, I'm a no frills kinda guy, but I realize why they do it.

I'm tearing out all cabinets except around the sink and stove and those may go at some near point. I'm going to go with vinyl covered wire shelves with tubs for storage and fab an electrical cabinet. I'm also going to build an interior vented battery box that will also help with stepping up into the bed. Going to make it for (4) T-105's. It'll free up outside storage, less prone to theft and will help my knees as they've decided they don't like steps/ladders much any more.

I've acquired:
weBoost 4G-X OTR
Wilson Electronics Wideband Directional Antenna 700-2700 MHz, 50 Ohm (314411)
Nature's Head Composting Toilet
Garmin Inreach mini GPS/SOS satellite c‎ommunicator
Fan-Tastic 2250 fan vent
Dickinson P9000 propane heater (still awaiting delivery)
EcoZoom Versa Rocket survival stove

Almost done with the tear out and have some plywood and paneling sitting on sawhorses wait.

I was approached about doing some wilderness mountain property scouting in remote off grid locations and I agreed. One of the compensations was to speed up my 2 yr plan of outfitting my rig w/ the above items so that I was close to self sustainable. There's some other compensation but I'll keep that private.  :shy: 

Intention is to leave in about 16 days. I got LOTS of work to do.

thanks, Mike...of course it's been raining all day and there's rain in the forecast for the next 4 days, ha! Just gonna have to get wet.

Sounds like a smart build, can't wait to see it! Maybe you can figure out how to use a wench as a lift, might come in handy!

Started to piece in the floor where holding tanks previously were (toilet going there) and found rot around threshold and door...too much rot, so I'm going to replace the floor w/ 3/4" BCX, no marine plywood around here, waterproof stain the flat surfaces and 3M 5200 on edges. Changing out the 30 yr old water tank as well, upgrading to 42 gals, old one is 24. I'm thinking about using the old one as an auxiliary mounted in front of the camper, maybe dedicated to the Ecotemp water heater/outside shower.

Attachments

• 20190405_105150.jpg
    20190405_105150.jpg
    1.3 MB
Welp...this has turned into a major overhaul. One of those, 'well, since I'm at I might as well..."
Since I've been in the Southeast with tons of rain I found lots of leaks around windows and such. Once I started to address those I decided to rip out all the paneling, check for mold and replace. Going to glass in the hole where heater vent was and put the Fan-Tastic fan where the fridge vent is. Got a 42 gallon water tank ordered. Kind of designing as I go which I don't recommend but it is what it is.

Also going to tackle the top corner repair needed since I kissed a tree branch and butyl tape all the windows. Won't be much I don't know about this model Bigfoot TC, lol.

Attachments

• Passenger side renovate.png
    Passenger side renovate.png
    1.5 MB
Good luck and best wishes. Certain types of foam can be used with certain types of fiberglass I believe especially if trying to fill big holes which makes it easier.