Poor man's 1999 F450 Truck Camper Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking good. that's a good idea repurposing the walker. I want to see a fished pic, pretty please. highdesertranger

Figured out my mpg on the trip

1567 mi, 120 gals with 58 mph as usual cruising speed.

13 mpg. I can live with that. I'm actually loaded heavier than I will be eventually as I have lots of extra tools, etc along with about 300 lbs of family sentimental items I'm delivering to my daughter.

I haven't weighed the rig yet so don't know that

First night was spent at a Holloman AFB lake (pic).

Attachments

• 20190220_070607.jpg
    20190220_070607.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 40
Hard to go wrong with the choice of a Bigfoot. I like their looks and their functionality. I saw one about a dozen years ago for the first time and it was love at first sight :)

@bullfrog

As I was looking at the moisture that blew back up under my rear door I thought about you, lol. You mentioned to make sure the door seals were good 'cause dust liked to invade. Well, water does too, and driving about 750 miles thru that monsoon showed me everywhere it can get in.

Anything coming through from the back (dust, rain) can be mitigated to quite a degree by having all the windows closed and turning the ventilation system to fresh instead of max or recirculate. This causes the interior to actually be a little bit pressurized.

@B and C
Thanks, Brian, but the camper doesn't have a ventilation system, unless I'm misunderstanding you. I bought some weather seal from home depot but before I apply I'm going to do some research, which I should have done BEFORE making the purchase, lol.

Tbh, I never envisioned driving, for that long, in that much rain, and normally I wouldn't. But, my buddy with whom I staying, was flying out of town a day after I was supposed to arrive so I, unfortunately, had a deadline of sorts although he would have been fine if I arrived after he left.

On another note, after figuring out panel angles I think I'm going to make two sets of tilt supports to give me enough range form Montana to Yuma. Just so happens the walker has 4 adjustable legs so we'll see.

Having a place to work seems like such a joy to me, right now. I'm so grateful after being frustrated for a year and a half w/ having to work in parking lots while living in an apt. Weather permitting I should have the panel mounted this weekend and will have started laying out the electrical system components and wiring.

I bought 10 ga marine wire and heat shrink tubing from genuinedealz and just going to use for interior 12v circuits.

What's the thought on using those combination 110v/USB receptacles in 2-3 places, anyone?

Every vehicle has a ventilation system incorporated into the dash. By opening it to outside air you are taking high pressure from the front of the vehicle and with the vehicle closed up, you are creating a small compression chamber inside. With this higher pressure it will push air out the back and any dust or moisture with it. If you drive with a front window cracked, you are creating negative pressure in the cabin and drawing stuff in from the back. Remember the cars with wing vents? Driving down the highway with one open and then close it, your ears would pop? Same principal. I had a couple of vans that the back windows would tilt out. I could leave them open in the rain while driving and never have water come in because the all the windows were up and I was drawing fresh air in from the dash. I drove down a dusty road one time and forgot they were open and had a van full of dust because the front windows were down. After that debacle, I closed them all the time that I wasn't in the back or stationary.

Awesome rig, this is exactly what I want!!

@Dgorila1
Thanks!

Brian, think you're forgetting I have a slide in camper but I always appreciate your input. ;)

Yep, forgot, this damn CRS (can't remember shhh er stuff).

Maybe it will help someone with a car or van.

@B and C

Haha, and it was such a well written post.

MaTaLa said:
What's the thought on using those  combination 110v/USB receptacles in 2-3 places, anyone?

I have not read through enough of your thread to know how you are setting up your electrical. That means all I can do is say check what you want to buy to see if the USB components are parasitic and if they are then decide if that makes any difference in your power scheme. No need to explain your power scheme to me. I will likely get around to reading what you have been up to.

Solar panel mounts finished, adjustable supports to finish up tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20190302_131623.jpg
    20190302_131623.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190302_131637.jpg
    20190302_131637.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190302_140459.jpg
    20190302_140459.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190302_140751.jpg
    20190302_140751.jpg
    852.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190302_184111.jpg
    20190302_184111.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 8
These will adjust in 1" increments

Attachments

• 20190302_200349.jpg
    20190302_200349.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 9
MaTaLa said:
What's the thought on using those  combination 110v/USB receptacles in 2-3 places, anyone?

It depends on how you use your rig, but I'd definitely recommend several USB outlets and maybe a 110v somewhere near your table for laptop power if not already one nearby.  I wasn't too impressed with those combination 110v/USB's, they're hella-expensive and the USB part doesn't work unless you're on shore power.  I did install one in my kitchen, mostly for kids and company when they want to charge a phone, but like I said you gotta be plugged into 110v for it to work.  I wouldn't buy one again for the RV...

I wanted to be able to charge phones and Jetpack when boondocking without the generator running, so I put some 12v fed USB receptacles in the bedroom, one on each side of the bed.  We use heck out of those USB's in the bedroom every night.  I also put a third USB into center of dash that we  use while traveling.  My E350 AC/Heater control had a blank in the front panel where a rear AC switch would be.  Looking inside the control it was mostly hollow so I installed it and it looks almost factory.  Wife's gotta have her music and games while on the road... if you know what I mean.  ;)    Those 12v fed USB's are the best way to go and real easy to install as long as you have enough back spacing.  With 12v you can always find a convenient power wire in just about any wall of an RV and those USB's only pull like 1 amp.  The 12v converter powers them when plugged in to shore power.  So, best of both worlds... 

One handy thing I added to 110v were two extra outlets for exterior use, one on each side of the rig.  I put them each inside a compartment so they're out of the elements.  Those exterior outlets have come in so handy for things like a drop light, solder iron, or power tools and they work on either shore or generator power.

Attachments

• IMG_2845.JPG
    IMG_2845.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2848.JPG
    IMG_2848.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2847.JPG
    IMG_2847.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2849.JPG
    IMG_2849.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2850.JPG
    IMG_2850.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 5
@Doubleone
Thanks, man, for the info. I'm too tired to delve to deeply in tonight but I appreciate the input and will give a proper reply shortly.

Latest posts