[Poll] What are your primary reasons for getting into vanlife?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Metal Tube

Reaction score
I'm posting this link here and I also separately posted a different link on Reddit with the same options. I want to see how the two communities compare. I theorize that Reddit has a younger, urban camping culture, and CRVL has an older, more Nature-centric culture. Yet I think both will meet in the middle regarding simplifying our lives and saving money. Let's see whether I'm right.

https://strawpoll.com/xezkz1ps

Sorry I didn't think to add a "forced into it" option. I wrongly assumed "To save money" would cover that.

Preliminary results. Will have to check back after folks have had enough time to see the poll and vote.

To explore:  CRVL 4 = 31%; Reddit 67 = 28%
To save money: CRVL 4 = 31%; Reddit 45 = 19%
To simplify my life: CRVL 2 = 15%; Reddit 49 = 21%
To spend time in Nature: CRVL 3 = 23%; Reddit 48 = 20%
To pursue minimalism: CRVL 0 = 0%; Reddit 28 = 12%
CRVL votes: 13. Reddit votes: 237.

Of those who have voted so far:
About 1/3 of vandwellers choose vanlife to explore, and 1/5-1/4 to spend time in Nature, regardless of their forum.
There are notably more folks on CRVL who are in it to save money.
There are notably more folks on Reddit who are in it to simplify their lives.
People in it to pursue minimalism are all on Reddit.

In the graph below: "Combined %" is figured by CRVL votes + Reddit votes, and "Averaged Combined %" is figured by averaging CRVL % and Reddit %.

reasons.png

Attachments

• reasons.png
    reasons.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 7
Updated results after a full day for folks to see it and respond.

Research:

To Explore: CRVL 8 = 33%; Reddit 124 = 26%
To save money: CRVL 7 = 29%; Reddit 99 = 21%
To simplify my life: CRVL 3 = 13%; Reddit 98 = 21%
To spend time in Nature: CRVL 5 = 21%; Reddit 98 = 21%
To pursue minimalism: CRVL 1 = 4%; Reddit 55 = 12%
Total votes: CRVL 24, Reddit 474

reasons.png

Interpretation:

1. CRVL likes to explore a little more than Reddit.
2. CRVL likes to save money a little more than Reddit.
3. Reddit is slightly more interested than CRVL in simplifiying their lives.
4. People in both places equally enjoy spending time in Nature.
5. Reddit is much more interested in minimalism than CRVL.
6. Either there are far more vandwelling-interested people on Reddit, or they are far more likely to vote on random polls, or some people voted multiple times.

Results of my hypotheses:

1: Reddit is more into urban camping and CRVL is more into Nature. FALSE. Both are equally interested in spending time in Nature.
2: Both will equally enjoy simplifying our lives. SOMEWHAT. Reddit is noticably more interested in this than CRVL.
3: Both will equally enjoy saving money. FALSE.  CRVL is noticably more interested in this than Reddit.

Attachments

• reasons.png
    reasons.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi Tiny,
okay,
ya gotta understand: Statis-tics really don't mean anything. Fer one thing, they change ALL the time,
from nano-second, to the next nano-second
. True.

Then when they TRY, so hard :rolleyes: no less, to convince... folks like me fer instance that "you are a statis-tic too, Annie"  

That holds about as much water, as telling me the next hilarious nonsense: "AGE matters" = Oy Vey !

Tell you what: include THIS choice >>> "to have FUN   :cool:  day in & day out tootlin' around the country-side "

okay, what .................. are those Statistics for again ? :D

Might get more response if the poll asked about RV life or nomad life instead of van life. It seems to limit folks to the vehicle they choose to live in.