Pneumonia Vaccine

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
So the Sunday paper had one of those magazine supplements in it, something called PARADE.

It had a brief article on those new superbugs that just laugh at all the current antibiotics - the ones that can be life threatening if you catch them.

Interestingly enough, they mentioned that the pneumonia vaccine seemed to be highly effective protection from some of these superbugs.

"Studies show that the pneumococcal vaccine, developed to prevent pneumonia, meningitis and ear infections, is a strong deterrent to superbugs.  It is linked with a 62 percent decrease in antibiotic-resistant cases of pneumonia, meningitis and bloodstream infections."

I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a pneumonia vaccine until a couple of years ago when I went in to get the anti-shingles vaccine.  (I had chicken pox as a kid, and I knew a few people who developed shingles.  Something I would really like to avoid.)  Anyway, I ended up getting that, too, as well as a booster for tetanus, since my last tetanus shot was a LONG time ago!

Glad now that I did.  And unlike the flu shots, you don't have to keep getting new ones, one pneumonia shot lasts for life.

Something to consider.

Regards
John

Thanks for the heads up. I'm just getting over shingles, bad advice this past sept, I was told it wouldn't matter if I took it. I took more pain meds for shingles than I did for a broke ankle a few years ago. Its dried up for a few weeks now but now I have deep muscle pain, typical of shingles.

Yes, when I get into a town, I will see about the pneumonia shot.

Given the problems that folks fear with immunization am sure many avoid shingles shots and pneumonia shot. The risk is real. But so is the choice. Once I turn 55 will likely get both.

I turned them both down when I went for a physical 3 years ago. I also do not get the flu shots. I am 61 years old. Choice is good and hopefully, we will all continue to be able to make our own choices. I have been practicing homeopathic/natural medicine for many years as my son with Down syndrome is very sensitive to medications as is my chow/shepherd.

Know that you can still get shingles even with the shot. I know someone that did. It wasn't good at all. He was about 70.

Caring about your health in general when it comes to eating and exercise is a really good defense so that if you do get something, it doesn't "take you out", at least as easily. Preventive medicine to me is eating right and getting exercise with a dose or two of good luck.

Choice is good.

Snow Gypsy said:
Know that you can still get shingles even with the shot.  I know someone that did.  It wasn't good at all. 

I am aware of that, yes.  Statistically speaking, the vaccine appears to significantly decrease the likelihood that you will develop shingles, but it does not GUARANTEE that you won't.

Plus, in most cases, if you've had the vaccine and still get it, it appears to be a somewhat milder case than if you hadn't had the vaccine.

Regards
John

As Snow Gypsy said, it all comes down to choice.  I avoid certain 'vaccines' like the plague, while others are useful.  We determine what is right for ourselves.
I will do some research on this Pneumonia Vaccine, and make the choice based on real world data.  If it looks good, I will get it.

I had the pneumonia shot last year at the VA.Didn't realize it is good for a lifetime.Good to Know.

I also avoid vaccines and flu shots and not just because I don't like needles.

In regards to the shingles vaccination here's something about the efficiency of it.

According to the drug company's own research:
  • The vaccine cuts the risk of illness by half for those in their 60s.
  • Between the ages of 70 to 79, the effectiveness falls to 41 per cent.
  • For those 80 years and older, the effectiveness is less than 20 per cent.
At it's most effective time, it's still only 50% effective. I'd give that a fail IMO. The article I read also noted that giving the vaccine to people in their 50's leaves them at major risk by the time their 80 or more since the time of effectiveness hasn't been proven. It's not like the pneumonia vaccine that confers lifetime immunity. It's an expensive vaccine that's not covered by most medical plans including any of the provincial plans in Canada.

I had a case of shingles in my late 40's. The only scary thing was that the Dr. I went to had to do research to find out if my housemate was at risk of catching chicken pox while I was suffering from shingles. The answer...maybe, so I went in to isolation.

The drugs were expensive but cleared it up within 10 days. I was fortunate that the clinic I went to had enough samples to get me through because at the time I was in the 'starving artist' income bracket.

Since that time I've learned to sense the very start of the tingling sensation associated with a break out and start immediately with a naturalist remedy of rose geranium oil diluted in almond oil. I don't leave home without it and have not had a full fledged breakout since I started with it.

Almost There said:
At it's most effective time, it's still only 50% effective. I'd give that a fail IMO.

Odd.  I'd say that if you had chicken pox as a kid, and you DON'T take the shingles vaccine, your chances of getting shingles DOUBLE.  I would hardly call that a "fail".

Regards
John

It looks like the chance of developing "shingles" is about 20% per the articles I read. Sadly, the man I know that developed them had just gotten the shot a few weeks before developing the "shingles" and had other health issues so that is a reason to really evaluate and educate one's self.

I also wanted to mention that I have come across a lot of people who don't realize that the flu is the thing with stuffy head, sore throat, etc. not the "stomach" flu. The "stomach" flu is actually the norovirus for which there is no shot. It comes from contaminated food and water and this is important if you are mobile and dealing with porti-potti and black water tanks. It is critical that you practice good hand washing and pay attention to what you are touching while doing this. Some people wear gloves and I have seen them to be the worst offenders as they feel their hands are protected, touch the water spigot (always sanitize a water spigot before filling your containers especially at an RV park where I have seen more than one person put their sewer hose over and wash it out) and touch the door knob and throw the gloves away. They have contaminated the door knob and other surfaces but hands are clean. Lots of "stomach" flu in RV parks. : (

I don't fear needles and my biggest fear is that at some point, I won't have a choice what goes into my body or that of my son. Everyone needs to look at their particular circumstances and risk factors and decide from there.

There are two types of pneumonia vaccine. The earlier one that covers less strains than the newer. The newer is recommended for over 65. Get your flu shot or stay away from other people.

Turns out that the chicken pox vaccine they give children is likely responsible for the rise in shingles cases among adults who have had chicken pox.  The immunity acquired by having had the disease tends to gradually wane over the years.  Before the vaccine for chicken pox existed, adults had plenty of opportunities to come into contact with the chicken pox virus and reactivate their immune response to it.  Now, hardly any children get the chicken pox, so the opportunity to “re-up” immune memory doesn’t happen.  That, plus the fact that the immune system function seems to decline with age anyway, increases the vulnerability to shingles outbreaks in later life.  No vaccines for me, thanks, but I will try to keep up my immune system by eating healthy and taking Vit. D.  

Rob Bob

I do a daily Vitamin C, D and B12 ritual.  Haven't had a bad cold or the flu in decades.  Always had a strong immune system and ability to self-heal, but as we age, we can use a bit of supplemental help!  The right foods help a lot too.