Planet Fitness

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't use it enough to justify the cost.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

After this thread being up for a while is there a consensus on which one is most widely available across the US?

I like this idea, but just concerned that they are not common enough for travel.

I stayed overnight at a PF and the cops just opened my door at like 2am and told me to leave. My inspection was expired so I hurried up and left without much of a noise. If it wasn't for that I probably could have sued them

Wonder what happens if you tell them you are exhausted and a danger to drive. They likely would escalate and threaten arrest if you don’t move. The cops want to win. So just agree with them as much as possible. Then do what you got to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goshawk said:
Wonder what happens if you tell them you are exhausted and a danger to drive. They likely would escalate and threaten arrest if you don’t move. The cops want to win. So just agree with them as much as possible. Then do what you got to do.
Cops don't necessarily care what happens, so I would expect them to tell you to move the car or they'll have it towed.  Confessing you're in no shape to drive might be all the evidence they need to impound your vehicle.

Most cops - if you present as a respectable citizen on your way out of town - would be helpful if you politely ask for a suggestion where you can finish resting up for the next stage of your journey.

not sure if anyone is still following this thread but i lived in a planet fitness parking lot in renton Washington for about 4 months and never got messed with once you do get looks everyone and a while on the days you come in and dont work out or if you are shaving in the sinks.

WanderingBiker said:
Kul, here is a map. https://find.mapmuse.com/map/anytime-fitness-center

looks like quite a few gyms out west....

went to the website, could not find their rates.... :(

When I was still living in Southern California I checked into Anytime Fitness, couldn't believe it was only $32/mo in Seal Beach (a very nice area). That was about a year ago, may have gone up by now.

I saw elsewhere on the forum that Planet Fitness is the best route to go, so I'm looking into that for when I get back on the road next week.

Van-Tramp said:
Yea, you can do that once or twice before other banks will not give you an account. All banks share info on default clients. Usually, even if you have one bank default, the next bank will not open an account for you. Eventually, you end up having to pay those, so use care there.

If you do a prepay card that's not a "bank", you actually don't overdraft or anything, so you don't default the "bank" you default the company looking for payment, who will just notify you the charge didn't go through and ask for a different card. You can't overdraft on most prepay cards, because it just will not allow the payment to process. I use a prepaid bluebird card from Wal-Mart to separate my spending money from my bank money. Which helps, because if some unexpected charge comes through it will just bounce back to the company. So for one company, I paid them but at my own pace because they couldn't overdraft my account directly for $600 plus dollars. Which I owed based on the terms, but was a surprised charge ad far as timing and I carefully map my budget. If I hadn't had this account on my prepay, they could have just taken the $600 without notice as to why they were taking it and not informed me of it.  This would have resulted in not only the unexpected  $600 debit, but an overdraft. 

At any rate, because my bank wasn't overdrafted I didn't end up with a bad bank reputation and was eventually square with the company in my own time.  Which doesn't work for PF's case, because they did want a direct bank account draft for regular gym payments. 

However, they are now able to note in the system if a credit card number is a prepaid card/gift card or a bank card/real credit card and some subscription services (such as gyms) are starting to reject them as soon as they flag as belonging to a prepaid card or gift card. Or want a direct bank debit.

My notes wrt Serve.com above are relevant, similar to the Bluebird card.

You are only allowed one or the other, cannot have both.

The Serve version offers more with the sub accounts,

I've only been charged the $1 monthly fee four times in three years since I actively use it

not sure of other differences but google the card review sites, they go into the details.

Van-Tramp said:
I have a membership to both. There are more Anytime fitness gyms  then Planet Fitness gyms and you will find more Anytime's in small towns in your travels. Planet Fitness gyms are only in those larger metro areas. However, Anytime fitness is twice as much ($40 per month over $20).

Don't get me wrong, I like them both for different reasons. Because I travel ) a lot) the Anytime's gyms are easier for me to find and use. They are true 24/7 while Planet Fitness gyms actually close down a few hours here and there (weekend nights especially).

Anytime fitness also has private bathroom and showers, while Planet Fitness has dorm-style showers. If privacy is important to you... there you go.

I was going to cancel my Planet Fitness, but $20 is nothing and I like having the option.

It would be easy enough to over-night at either. Simply put a bumper sticker or your gym paperwork in the windshield so any LEO could see it. If they rolled up on your van/RV they would assume you were in the gym and leave you alone. I have not overnight ed at either, but I have rolled up very early (3-4am), worked out and showered, and then hung out for a few more hours without any interruption. I have also seen numerous occasions of people clearly overnighting at my local Planet Fitness with no problems.

@ Mackerous - I would not say one is "better" than the other. Anytime is just a smaller Planet Fitness. Anytime's are in smaller spaces and have less equipment, but they both have basically the same equipment (including tanning beds). Planet Fitness can get very (very!) crowded at times (6-8pm weekdays are the worst).

If working out is your goal, either will do. If showering and staying clean is the goal, I prefer Anytime Fitness because of the private bathroom and showers.

Thank you so much for this very useful information, Van-Tramp. I was kind of fixated on Planet Fitness, but now I can see that the $40/month for Anytime Fitness is a much better deal for my plans based on your comments. Even in my little town in Washington State there is an Anytime Fitness!

Oh, and I just visited your blog too!

I have an Anytime Fitness membership. My Medigap/Medicare plan pays 1/2 the cost. They will check to see if you have an insurance plan that will pay all or part.

Great place to get in out of the cold... I did that earlier today. North Idaho weather has gone bad already.

I was able to get a "Silver Sneakers" card through my insurance plan but haven't used it as most of the gyms have a trial week or more plan that allows you a free try out. While in the Tucson area last year there were at least 4 different offers and they lasted long enough to cover my whole stay.