Pirate Camp Winter Season '23-24

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the LTVAs you often see vans, buses and motorhomes parked to create a center court gathering space. Circle the wagons!

Van Aid is incredible........So much energy.......and it has officially NOT started yet

CAMILLA's tablesaw is a HUGE improvement..........Yesterday it was little blocks of "plastic" house-trim shaped for Cee's solar panel mounting.......and a battery box of wood........and cabinet parts and MORE !

Example of the top bar in the forum page with the envelope next to your colored first initial of your screen name identifier icon. Mine is the letter M in the color purple. See the envelope image to the right of it? That is where you click to do mail tasks. But that bell symbol next to the envelope changes color to notify you of messages.
IMG_1360.jpeg

What Doug said… should have a number in red on it with at least a one saying you have a message…
Wow who knew you were so particular in your desires as to want the number of messages showing. I likely could turn on some feature that emails me whenever I get a message in my box. But no doubt it would just be a moderator telling me to quit acting like an idiot 😉

My wife who refuses to get all her shots got dehydrated from the flu which caused her to have shingles. Just saying hope she gets well soon!

Amazon Freevee* advertisements prescribe a Shingrix jab for shingles. Mentions zero cost for most everyone. Tag line "Shingles don't care, Shingrix cares".

*Freevee is Amazon's reboot of commercial television.

Well Paulette is in the Yuma Hospital last nite and tonight........It's only the FLU but there are complications
How stressful for you both! The flu is pretty bad stuff to get especially when you have other underlying health conditions.

Paulette sending you get well soon wishes.

So far I’m doing well even though we both had the flu as I had in the last year had both shingles shots. Main problem we had was when she showed all the signs of shingles after having the flu and getting dehydrated we immediately went for a visit to a hospital where they could not identify the red rash and claimed the severe head aches on dehydration then a day later to an Urgent Care center, then a virtual visit, then we went to another Urgent Care center the following day after the large blisters began to scab over and then they began treatment after a week trying to get the treatments started. Treatments that if they had been started earlier most likely would have lessened the severity of getting shingles. Most head aches do not make you have gut wrenching pain and throw up after just touching your hair. Not a “happy camper!”. Odds of getting shingles is pretty good so if you are one of those people you might consider getting the shots!

I got my shingles vaccine at my pharmacy a few years back, and the pharmacist when giving it to me said they’d seen people who got it in their eye and were blinded by it.

Vaccines are a good thing.

To confirm what Wayne said -- most insurance covers shingrix 100%.
https://www.shingrix.com/get-shingrix/shingles-vaccine-cost-coverage/#:~:text=The%20Affordable%20Care%20Act%20(ACA,)%20if%20administered%20in%2Dnetwork.
IIRC it is two shots several weeks apart (so plan, or talk to your pharmacist, if you're going to be on the road)
I don't think you even need a prescription, you just go straight to the pharmacy.
This makes at least three people on the forum who've had it recently; it's definitely worth getting the jab to avoid it!!!!
It's recommended for everyone 50 and over (and for younger people with immune problems). Here's the CDC explanation: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/shingrix/index.html#:~:text=Adults 50 years and older should get two doses of,get two doses of Shingrix.
Speedy recovery to all!

In 2020 we were at Palm Canyon boondocking, and in the late afternoon it felt like I had a mosquito bite on the back of my neck.
Luckily, the friend I was Boondocking with was concerned and rushed me to urgent care before dawn the next morning.
By then I had two more red dots on one shoulder. the PA at the urgent care immediately realized it was shingles and started me on several medications.
Even though it was caught early I had horrible pain and limited mobility in one arm - which lasted a year and a half.

Just a note - apparently shingles is only on one side of the body.

I had no idea before this that shingles was so serious.

Last edited:
Love and prayers and healthy recovery wishes going out to you Paulette 💕

In 2020 we were at Palm Canyon boondocking, and in the late afternoon it felt like I had a mosquito bite on the back of my neck.
Luckily, the friend I was Boondocking with was concerned and rushed me to urgent care before dawn the next morning.
By then I had two more red dots on one shoulder. the PA at the urgent care immediately realized it was shingles and started me on several medications.
Even though it was caught early I had horrible pain and limited mobility in one arm - which lasted a year and a half.

Just a note - apparently shingles is only on one side of the body.

I had no idea before this that shingles was so serious.
Hello, I never had a clue how bad shingles could be. A year ago I just happened upon some reading about the
symptoms which scared the holy crap out of me. I immediately scheduled the two shots. Our health care system
could really do our citizens a favor by upping their game when it comes to educating people about vital things
like this. It really is more of a "medical" care system....they will treat people in mostly critical situations and what they
seem to excel at is to keep you from dying.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I am feeling better and hope to be released today. Flu plus severe lung inflammation shook me to the core. Breathing treatments, oxygen, and lots of drugs have restored me. I am thankful for modern medicine. And I will be discharged soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts