Pirate Camp at Van Aid........Feb. 2022

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I will see you in Pahrump this fall. But likely not until the daytime high is reliably in the mid 80s or lower.

Maybe I will see you in Pahrump this fall. But likely not until the daytime high is reliably in the mid 80s or lower.

That looks to be the last week of Spt/1st week of Oct... yep... I am going to aim to either spend a wek or towo at the North Rim, but might come down thru Utah... but def P for a bit... that French Bakery ya know.. ;)

Very nice rig you have there! What do you use for surface transport? Maybe you have a bicycle or a Segway or a really fast walking stick?

:cool:
I have an eBike... a HeyBike Mars folder... me and my 230#s and cargo do well. but it does smack the range around with all that weight and my .. I strap a milk crate on the back and just got a backpack to schlepp small stuff.. it is a compromise for sure.. weather, sight seeing, side trips... all become more challenging... the concept is to bulk shop before heading out to the boonies so the eBike is for fun and runs to town for more caviar and pate.. ;)

https://www.heybike.com/

Pahhhrump, like a cattle guard, or those wake up cuts in the pavement.

Come they told me, Pahrump pah pum pum, me and my drum.

Well .. here we are mid July!! Jessi and I are still camped here north of Salida, CO.. Debbie left for here today, so we will be 3 soon... and a person from Red Camp in PaHrump is going to join out little caravan ( is it a caravan if it doesn't go anywhere?? )

Today's challenge is .. .MICE!!!! 4 snap traps with Peanut butter await...

COWS!... we share this section of NF with cows... SO I have gotten good at herding them the f out of here on the eBike... I like the cows well enough, but the hundreds of flies with each one can be overwhelming... this after noon I chased away a herd of about 70.. .multiple times, I did give that bull a fair bit of space though.....

The weather here at 8600' is very accommodating... hasn't gotten over 80 yet... Leadville was to ATV.. WinterPark was awesome ( blues Fest) but Boy Howdy is it a tourist town...

Hope everyone is doing well...

Hello Lucky,

I am considering the same Ford Transit van like yours--a new one. Do you like it?

David Boggs

Welcome to the forum

YES we're happy with the Ford Transit..........I bought mine with 25,000 miles that was used as an expediter

YMMV

FYI.. for those that were at Pirate camp at the LaPosa South LTVA... Debs bus died on her... 3 weeks ago... she is close to the end of the cheese grater experience that was and is the experience in getting things fixed... She is well and staying with cousins, but it has been a hell ride of frustration for her. Once she is back in the bus she will rejoin this mini-summer-caravan....

Jesse took off for here Mums last week, but over the last month this camp picked up one Out-Of-the-blue 1st timer in a van who is now headed home to regroup, a friend I met at Red Camp in P, and a friend of Debs who is out for a trial run in her van... why I had my own harem here for a while... The cows have been absent but no one misses them.

I have been hanging in the Leadville-Salida corridor since the beginning of June and it has been blissfully cool, with occasional showers... but I am ready to move on. The North Rim is also comfortable now, so I am headed that way sometime in the next week, but am thinking about trying a run up into the Valley of the Gods on the way. Where I have been is 8000 Asl, up to 9800k asl, and the North Rim is 8800', but the Valley is 5000', so it may be too hot to stay long... Colorado was a good choice for the summer. The area I have been in recently is well positioned and nary an atv to be seen... we do have horses and riders once in a while and of course, the cows, but herding them away on the eBike is fun and effective.. :)

Saw Gasoline in Albq down to $3.26.. there is hope for us gas guzzlers!

I will hit Pahrump sometime early Oct ... or so.... and then on the Q for the winter when temps there get below 90°

I hope everyone is well and we'll see you soon.

Still in the upper 90’s and low 100’s during the day at 4,200’ elevation in Bullfrog Utah. Was in the upper 90’s going down the Moki dugway into Mexican Hat and Monument Valley a few days ago even with the cooler than normal weather we have been having this year. Still warm to say the least.

Still raining part of most days in Northern AZ. But enough solar in the mornings to get by with working in the mornings while it is cool and rain free still leaving power left over at night for my fridge and for changing devices for watching videos and such. The temperature is quite comfortable; heat brings up enough wind to make sitting outside in the shade very pleasant.

My build task for the day, order some cabinet knobs from Home Depot that match the ones I bought from them a couple of years ago. I had added 2 new cabinets and the stores no longer stock them in their bins. But at least I can get them delivered to a store.

Poor Deb..................any idea what is the problem?

Thanks Jason

"a fuel issue" and rotted tires... and front end parts are all shot... her cuz will get the detailed answer for her when she picks it up from the tire shop ( who are also doing the front end work )

many questions.. ;)

Still in the upper 90’s and low 100’s during the day at 4,200’ elevation in Bullfrog Utah. Was in the upper 90’s going down the Moki dugway into Mexican Hat and Monument Valley a few days ago even with the cooler than normal weather we have been having this year. Still warm to say the least.

Thanks for the weather warning.... booger.... sounds to hot to visit the valley... I guess I will make str8 for the rim then....