Pirate Camp....a build opportunity

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An inquisitive kid in Florida is gonna imagine EVERYTHING covered in Resin.......

Sorry.......No serious Boat construction.........just BS

Abnorm just like fiberglass except no mixing, no mess as everything cleans up with water. On that big a box I would use 2” foam. You can cut resting slots for rafters and I would recommend a sloped roof to insure water doesn’t sit or puddle as there will be some rises and dips on that large a surface. I would recommend not building bigger than the trailer as it complicates and makes build much heavier as well as the floor should be able to support several hundred pounds and you may need to change trailers someday. If you want a 77’ wide box get a few inches wider trailer. I usually build my floor with 1/2” plywood on top, ripped in half 2”x4” joists on 2’ centers, 1/4” plywood on the bottom, fill the hollow sections with spray foam and Poor Man Fiberglass the bottom. When the walls go on sitting on top the floor I lap the wall canvas around and underneath the floor. Some use the excess to form a drip rail to keep water from setting between the floor and trailer bed. I just after painting spray a thick coat of bed liner on the bottom. My guess would be dependent on how much support and paneling you use. Mine is 11’9”x80”x6’tall and I estimate It is less than 750 lbs. but I don’t have rafters and little wood support except at the seams where the interior doors are glued together. You will have to have ventilation as this method tends to make an air tight box.

There were several reasons I went with interior doors. Most people were correct in saying if they ever get wet they would warp and expand but once they have Poor Man’s Fiberglass on them all they do is swell and by drilling a hole and injecting spray foam inside the damp area it is absorbed and almost indestructible. Not pretty but you ain’t gonna break it and if you do easy to fix functionaliy but not pretty. Much better than metal siding. The cheap doors are strong, you can lay them flat and glue a 1/4” piece of plywood on top of them and use them as a work bench. I am 200 lbs and stood on them with the plywood top. If you are looking for a ridged bed surface this is the way to go. They are easy to work with especially when building a box as their corners are true 90 degrees. You can dowel and glue them to form large surfaces. If you shop big box stores damaged ones go for as little as $15. A new one was around $30. A 4’x8’x2” thick foam was around $40. A door can be bought in widths of 24” to 36” and at 80” tall just perfect for my needs with little or no cutting. If you need a few more inches just glue and dowel on standard lumber. It will show through the PMF but that makes finding mounting points easy. They may not be pretty but they will do the job with very little maintenance for many years.

Yep it almost has to be yours and it is still a labor of love but it is really fun and easy to try. Maybe for a wall, cabinet or insulated drawer for a cooler. No heavy lifting involved and really not much weight added. Cutting with a hot wire makes easy and clean cuts even irregular shapes. Oh boy! More tools! Lol!!!

I had purchased a couple of nice looking, but cheap, hollow interior doors and yeah, they were very lightweight....in fact I cut one open to install a window...the jigsaw went thru the 'wood' like a hot knife thru butter....

Turns out the 'wood' is a paper thin veneer and the entire door is made of a structural 'honeycomb' of carboard and paper/fiberboard....no I'm not kidding.

Just FYI so if anyone goes that route, they will know what they have.

I was thinking it might be great to hold an informal event at Shea Rd. Around the same time as last year's vanbuild. Any thoughts? What you are talking about would fit right in perfectly there.

^^^^^Thank You BUT.........My thoughts in this "Time-of-Covid" are that a large gathering can easily become a dangerous situation

My wife is Immune-compromised....we're OLD....We wear a mask when "Out"....respect social distance....we demand the same from guests !

My idea for "Pirate Camp" is a SAFE....always moving....season long....personal....one-on-one mentor/build......No masks in camp if you're safe !

(That's not to say I would not attend a similar build near Parker in the month of November.......SAFELY)

In the past I have incurred the wrath of the BLM.......I'm not "fronting" any large activity that draws their attention....Go for it !

Smart man. I think until a vaccine is proven things need to be this way. It would be nice to have somewhere to access and store materials and tools though. I wonder if HOWA considered making appointments like Bob has done with his mentoring. I saw the last video they were doing a no build build.

Did I hear you say Mass. ? Never again...one hour was enough...............

Love the Bus............."There be other Pirates......Aarrrrrrr "

Ever since this thread started I’ve been tempted. I’m going to do it now. Aargh matey‘s yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Doug still have a pack of pirate stickers for everyone?

Hey Gary......thanks for the visit.......the YARC stickers are gone.......I'll have a mailbox next week in Parhump

Firebuild said:
Come east! We need pirates over here!
A Star is Born.....the subject of Bob's latest video...........

Well we're here in Pahrump...........Damn it's HOT Today

"Randy from Michigan" arrived first...........PU and a Cargo Trailer....Retired Military.......Thank you for your Service !

There are a few "appointments" scheduled here.....More inquiries for later near Q.

Why PIRATE Camp ?

jolly roger.jpg

Fly the Jolly Roger and you're done.......It's fun to say Aarrrrrrr !.........YARC is Pirate Themed...........

Attachments

• jolly roger.jpg
    jolly roger.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 14
I thought I knew that woman but the dark glasses through me off. Nice bus.

Very nice, I totally love your choice of furniture. Perfect for something the size of a bus. Likey, likey.